Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Magnum AGS in Challenger and possibly others

For those of you that have the Magnum Auto Generator Start (Challengers and possibly other models) I am attaching the data sheet and manual for the system. This info was not provided by Thor or the dealer as part of the operators manuals I received.

I was on a mission to figure out how the temperature sensor feature of the AGS functions and went looking for the manual.

The research and learning never ends.

AGS_data_sheet_revc.pdf

Magnum AGS Manual.pdf

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Team

THOR #1469
As an update:

I located the Magnum AGS controller on the ceiling of the same storage bay that houses the XANTREX Inverter. The AGS on my Challenger is the ME-AGS-S and the settings for the start temp, start DC voltage, run times etc... are on the controller.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
THOR #1032
Dave, have you tested yours yet. That is what took so long to get mine back from Safford. Works great now once I got them to understand what it was supposed to do. On a positive side, they now know how to fix them.
Currently in myrtle beach area. Everything going great so far.
wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanewton View Post
Dave, have you tested yours yet. That is what took so long to get mine back from Safford. Works great now once I got them to understand what it was supposed to do. On a positive side, they now know how to fix them.
Currently in myrtle beach area. Everything going great so far.
Willis,

I ran it through the Magnum system test and it appears to work as advertised. Before my next trip I plan to test the voltage and temp settings and see if they actually start the generator.

I was wondering where the temperature sensor was located however after downloading the manual I see that it is in the switch bezel in the over door cabinet.

My biggest issue this week was getting an electrician to convert my 30 Amp outlet on the side of the house to a 50 Amp. That was completed yesterday so I now have full hook ups at home (although sewer is a long run when connected).

I did Myrtle Beach about this time last year. It was windy, cold and rainy. I believe we had one nice day the week we were there. Of course we know that means there needs to be another trip during better weather.

Glad to hear the shakedown is going well. Enjoy and safe travels.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

THOR #1032
Glad you can hook up at your house. I wish we could. Getting ready for this trip the generator ran about every 4 hours so the fridge could run. I think my next chore, maybe even while on the road, is to add 2 more batteries. Based on other posts, I think the batteries should last about 8 hours before needing to recharge. Still learning about this though.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Glad you can hook up at your house. I wish we could. Getting ready for this trip the generator ran about every 4 hours so the fridge could run. I think my next chore, maybe even while on the road, is to add 2 more batteries. Based on other posts, I think the batteries should last about 8 hours before needing to recharge. Still learning about this though.
My question about the 8 hours between recharges - is that with or without a residential refrigerator? That could be 8 hours between recharges if the refrigerator is running on LPG.

I would agree that 4 hours between recharges is a short time especially if one is dry camping in an area that limits generator use to day time only.

Every time I look in the battery bay and see those two empty slots, that beckon to be filled, it gets tempting. The only thing that has stopped me so far is I have not yet determined if I want to add 2 more 6 volt batteries and go with a series/parallel setup or bite the bullet and upgrade to 4 12 volt batteries running in parallel. I need to look at the pros and cons of each method and the limitations, if any, of the inverter before making a decision.

My prior coach had 2 12 volt batteries in parallel (no inverter) and I had no issues with power. Then again the frig in that rig ran on electric and LPG.

Have a safe and happy trip.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

THOR #1032
I think that was with a residential fridge.

As to whether to get 2 more 6 or 2 12, from what I have read, most 12s don't have as high of an amperage. My 6s are 232 amps. And also, can you get deep cycle in 12 volt batteries?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I think that was with a residential fridge.

As to whether to get 2 more 6 or 2 12, from what I have read, most 12s don't have as high of an amperage. My 6s are 232 amps. And also, can you get deep cycle in 12 volt batteries?
Deep cycles are available in 12 volt and my prior coach had 2 of them installed. The problem is at the higher amperages (150 and above) they can get big and expensive. I have seen some running over 600.00 per battery. It would take the generator a long time to burn 2400.00 in gas.

Right now I am leaning towards 2 more 6 volt. Although some additional research is required, I believe the 6 volt batteries have a longer life span.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
Although some additional research is required, I believe the 6 volt batteries have a longer life span.
I had read that the 6 volt golf-cart batteries have thicker plates which leads them to have a longer lifespan.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I had read that the 6 volt golf-cart batteries have thicker plates which leads them to have a longer lifespan.
I have read the same thing. In my readings I also saw where one has to be careful because the golf cart batteries may also be larger thereby not be able to fit within the battery area of an RV.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #11

THOR #1032
The batteries I have now are interstate gc2-xhd-utl which they advertise as golf cart. They fit in mine fine.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
The batteries I have now are interstate gc2-xhd-utl which they advertise as golf cart. They fit in mine fine.
I looked in the battery bay today but did not look at the specific batteries. It looks like there is plenty of room based on length and width. As for height there appears to be a ground cable bus about 1 inch above the batteries. I believe that bus could be raised about 4 to 6 inches if battery height were to become an issue.

As I said before, every time I look in that bay those spots are begging to get filled with batteries.

I can see where you have some concerns, especially when trying to cool the frig prior to a trip. Have you given any consideration to solar for battery charging?
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #13

THOR #1032
I have read a lot of people use solar but so far I haven't really thought about it. Don't expect to camp a lot away from power.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Willis,

I ran it through the Magnum system test and it appears to work as advertised. Before my next trip I plan to test the voltage and temp settings and see if they actually start the generator.

I was wondering where the temperature sensor was located however after downloading the manual I see that it is in the switch bezel in the over door cabinet.

My biggest issue this week was getting an electrician to convert my 30 Amp outlet on the side of the house to a 50 Amp. That was completed yesterday so I now have full hook ups at home (although sewer is a long run when connected).

I did Myrtle Beach about this time last year. It was windy, cold and rainy. I believe we had one nice day the week we were there. Of course we know that means there needs to be another trip during better weather.

Glad to hear the shakedown is going well. Enjoy and safe travels.
Dave, can you add a photo of were you found the temp sensor. Thanks

KC
Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Dave, can you add a photo of were you found the temp sensor. Thanks

KC
KC,

Here is a pic of the factory settings for my AGS. I have reset it since this pic was taken. The temp control is the second from the left when viewed correctly. When viewed upside down it is the second from the right.

I am on my iPad otherwise I would post the instructions for the AGS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	2970

Just in case, my AGS is on the ceiling of the compartment where the inverter is mounted. For me that is the third compartment to the rear on the driver's side.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
KC

Re-read your post. According to the manual the temp sensor is behind the AGS remote bezel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	2971

The sensor sits between the status indicator and the mounting screw on the right.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #17

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #2628
Thanks for posting photos. My switches are in a different location. Mine are located on the entry way wall attached to the washer/dryer/Pantry cabinet (left side while you walk up the stairs)

KC
Old 09-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
I worked for a battery company for 16 year. The 6 volt have thicker plates with a much denser lead oxide paste. The cold cranking amperes is low but the ampere hours are high. The are not that good for starting an engine but are great for a long slow drain application.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
DNS

State: Ohio
THOR #2222
I'm a little confused about when this can be used. Do you use it when not connected to shore power? Or can it be turned on in case the electric goes out? During our PDI the tech said never start the generator when plugged in to shore power or it would fry the transfer switch.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a Generator AGS can/ and should, be used anytime for either Battery Level charging, or Temperator control - regardless of whether you are on Shore Power, or ESPECIALLY if you are on Shore Power - the ATS(Automatic Transfer Switch) will switch to Generator power automatically when the AGS requests it, REGARDLESS of whether you are on Shore Power or not...

scenerio:
- you lose Shore Power: your AGS provides the start for the a/c units to keep the coach cool
- you lose Shore Power: your AGS starts the generator when your batteries need to be charged

You can/should leave your AGS 'Enabled' all the time so that these scenerios can be covered without you having to consider them everytime you leave the coach.

The reason that your ATS(auto transfer switch) allows the Generator power to take precedence is for these exact reasons - it is your failsafe power supply should shore power be lost - when shore power is restored, and the generator shuts off, the ATS will automatically switch back to Shore Power.(you also control the amount of time the Generator stays running when the AGS starts it, such as 30mins, 1hour, etc), though you can shut it off manually at anytime - but make sure to set the 'type' from 'RV' to 'other' so that manually switching off the generator does not override your AGS settings, which is will do otherwise.

I know of no reason why anyone, especially an RV salesperson, would tell you to 'unplug' from Shore Power when you are using the Generator - the ATS controls the input of power, so you don't have to.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote