Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Maiden Voage

Took our new 2115 Hurricane 27K on a 6 day maiden voyage. We went to KQ Campground in Julian, CA. Weather was good and the food was great. Their Thanksgiving Dinner, they served, had all the trimmings.
The with the 362 HP V10 pulled the hills with ease. It drove like a sportscar compared to the Class C 305 HP V10 we had. On the freeway at 70 mph, it felt like we were just coasting along. Common sense took over and I slowed down to 65 mph.

The coach does have a few minor problems.
1: The awning rolls out and doesn't stop. And sometimes I have to roll it in with the out switch, to keep it from rolling the white bottom on the outside.
2. The screen door is about a 1/2 inche short in width, it won't lock.
3. Windshield has a loud whistle of air on the top left side.
4. We have a hole in a pantry door. Door is on order.
5. Kitchen window has a air gap. It doesn't seal.
6. Awning LED lights not working.
7. Outside rear latter has 2 bottom braces cracked.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 AM   #2

State: Nevada
THOR #970
This vessel is best when stopped. On the road and in between you have many mods to do.
1. fix the squeaky microwave. Take down the wood cover on top and look at how Thor mounted it> yes, a couple sheet rock screws not all the way in. Go get 4 1/2" x 1" lag bolts and also shim as needed to secure the top mount to the sides. you can reuse 2 of the Thor screws in the middle position of the mount. Also you need to remove the screws that go into the microwave from the bracket, replace them with hex head bolts, not put a layer of rubber, padding something between the frame and top of microwave and tighten these hex bolts down, Problem solved.
2. Before it floods on you.. fix the crap plumbing job Thor did. Take the panel off below the fridge and notice the electric junction box. You need to move this because it cause the sink hose to bind and come undone. Simply unscrew the wrong sheet metal mounting screws and move the box to the right away from then hose, then reinstall with wood screws. While you have this apart look to the connection point of the hose and see is the black "thing" it is connect to has a good angle. If not go under your sink, disassemble the connection and rotate 180 degrees, causing the end to be a normal angle for the drain hose. Now because Thor chose not to support this plumbing stick something under it, I used an old soap tray. You may have to go under the sink and remove the back panel to access all this. I also tied a string to the hose and back to the black pipe to keep it from coming undo, as these drain plumbing issues all over our floor are not cool.
In order to drive this beast you will need to do the CHF on front and rear and install a Blue Ox track bar. Absolutely get an alignment as soon as possible, most of the homes are not aligned right and cause severe tire wear as well as handling problems.
The front bunk comes with a cheap ass blow up bed that does not even fit. Save yourself the embarrassment and order a custom made mattress from foam n more Foam N' More And Upholstery, Michigan USA for $133 including cover. I got the luxury green foam 80 3/4 x 56 x 2" bit would advise getting 80 1/2 x 56 x 2" as mine was slightly to long, but fits like a glove, though you may need to hold up the bed frame when you pin it. Toss the included blow up crap in the trash. Also the trac rails need lube, so spray them down with garage door lube from Blast from time to time. I caused damage to my wallpaper because the deb came down at different angle as a few times until I figured it was a lube issue..
I have the same wind noise coming thru my windows, have not been to the dealer yet,, i suspect it is the weep holes though..

The pantry door...Mine was busted 75 feet from the dealer when I took a right hand turn into a gas station.. the pantry door next to the fridge came flying out. Now it is solved with a locking latch on that fridge pantry door. The factory ones are no good. My dealer installed a latch you have to manual move to unlock.

hope these mod suggestion keep you from getting flooded and other problems.

As I said, the beast is best when stopped and set up, there is really shines as floorplan, we would have no other.

happy trails
pete
Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
My 2014 Hurricane 34E had an official recall for the Dometic 9100 awning motor. I'm not sure what the recall fixed, as mine always worked, but maybe it fixed the overrunning issue you are experiencing.

Get all those other items replaced before the warranty expires.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
For what it's worth, I've had 2 carefree electric awnings on 2 RVs, and neither stopped on the way out. I extend beyond what I think should be the end point and than retract a bit to achieve a good tension.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

THOR #1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
For what it's worth, I've had 2 carefree electric awnings on 2 RVs, and neither stopped on the way out. I extend beyond what I think should be the end point and than retract a bit to achieve a good tension.
Thanks for the info on the Carefree Electric Awning. I guess I don't have a problem, its just normal operation. My last RV was a Jayco. The awning would extend and then stop automatic when fully extended. It wasn't a Carefree, but the operation was carefree.

Thanks

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Got the same awning on my 2014 ACE 29.2. I do this same exact thing.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #7

Model: 27 ft ACE
THOR #1318
where do you store the mattress when not in use. We have the ACE and have the same crappy air mattress and have wondered about replacing it with foam, but it is a hassle to store it anywhere
Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembertonltd8 View Post
where do you store the mattress when not in use. We have the ACE and have the same crappy air mattress and have wondered about replacing it with foam, but it is a hassle to store it anywhere
If you are talking about the drop-down bunk, we didn't get the air mattress we got a foam Denver Mattress (very comfortable I might add) that folds up into the bunk when we raise it.