Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Manual or Auto Leveling

When we bought our 2016 Ace, I am pretty certain I was told to always level front to back first, then side to side. I was watching a video on RV Geeks or something like that last week and they said to level side to side, then front to back. Which is correct? Also, I find using the auto levelers doesn't work as well as manually doing it. Has this been anyone else's experience?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
In our previous motor home (Pace Arrow) the instructions definitely stated to level front to back and then side to side. I always use the auto level in our new one. Much faster and does a super job. Have had no issues with it (as long as the site is fairly level). If not we use blocks and then level.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
In our previous motor home (Pace Arrow) the instructions definitely stated to level front to back and then side to side. I always use the auto level in our new one. Much faster and does a super job. Have had no issues with it (as long as the site is fairly level). If not we use blocks and then level.
I stopped using the autol level because many times the front wheels were lifted off the ground. I started using manual and could level it easily without lifting the front wheels... Also, when using auto level and then extending our slide, I found it was slightly off level on the side of the slide. I guess the extra weight extending it (one big slide) takes it off level a little so now I make a slight adjustment again after leveling. If the site is off too much I too use the blocks under the front wheels. Thanks for your info.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I do the same as you Bob. I prefer to do it manually and I start with the front to rear and just them all touching then I work my way from the most out of level to the closest whether that's front to back or side to side. I reset where my control panel thinks is level so that it levels it out for where I want it to be after the slide out is out. That solved the having to level it a second time issue.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
2014 ACE 30.2 and I have found that I can Manually level faster than the Auto Level. I go from front to back then side to side.
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I too quit using the auto level. Raised the front tires off the ground - scared the crap outta me figuring I'd bent something or other. The second time, the rear tires came off the ground. Nope - manual only from now on!!
I can also do it faster and more accurately using two torpedo style levels on the floorboard of the coach - I can see each from the driver's seat and check in several different spots before I decide it's good enough.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have never had auto leveling so I can't compare the two.

However I use two levels, one for front to back and another for side to side. By combining the two readings, I level the MH all in one step.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:33 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I've done it both ways with my RV (2014 Hurricane)... My previous (2000 Infinity) was a manual only system.
In my driveway where I know I only need the front jacks - I typically do manual. Most sites I use the auto setting... I might be able to level it with less lift manually - but it hasn't been way off and is more convenient.

For manual - I've always followed the arrows on the panel - leveling whichever direction is furthest from level - be it front, back, or side.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Read leveler instructions recently and it said to never leave the front or back wheels off the ground with all axle weight on the jacks, at least not for a long period of time. My new best practice would be to never do it at all. What I would do in a desperate flat tire situation remains to be seen.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
I never had luck with the auto leveling, it shook the motorhome and raised the front wheels off the ground. I use the manual mode, it's easier, smoother and right on target.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #11

State: New Jersey
THOR #1115
I too have great trouble with the auto level but I am having an issue doing it manually, Can anyone post a step by step instruction list on how to level manually? Thanks
Old 09-01-2016, 01:59 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheaten View Post
I too have great trouble with the auto level but I am having an issue doing it manually, Can anyone post a step by step instruction list on how to level manually? Thanks
I'm sure there are differences between brands...
On mine - when I set it in manual mode - an arrow lights up in one of the four directions - whichever is furthest from level.
I press that button until a different direction lights up - and continue around until the center light flashes indicating level.
If all the jacks aren't down - I use the appropriate front or rear button to lower the remaining jacks. (The unit is smart enough to know one jack of the pair isn't down yet - and moves just the one... as there is no button to allow you to move a single jack.)

On last RV - dealer told me to lower front till they touch... lower back till they touch.. then level. It worked, but probably raised the RV more than it might otherwise.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #13

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
I never had luck with the auto leveling, it shook the motorhome and raised the front wheels off the ground. I use the manual mode, it's easier, smoother and right on target.
x2
Old 09-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I always level using the MANUAL mode now, the auto mode tends to add more height to your stance than is actually needed. Here's what I do with out LCI Lippert control:

- turn on LCI panel
- press and hold MANUAL mode until lit
- press whichever directional arrow is lit, hold until you feel both legs touching
- press the OPPOSITE arrow, hold until you feel both legs touching(this action adds
needed stability to the opposite side before you provide all of the required height
to the lowest side)
- press the original arrow again until the legs are high enough that the light goes out,
or the legs stop on their own
- press and hold any remaining arrow that is lit, until either it stops on it's own, or
you are satisfied that the coach is level
- the middle GREEN light will light when it senses the coach is level, though you
can still manipulate the arrows - I typically add a little bit more to my main slide
side because of the weight of the slide when it is deployed(driver side)
- turn off the panel

After leveling, I deploy the slides. If I feel that the coach is slightly off level, I can still
turn the ignition key 'on', turn on the LCI panel, use the Manual mode, and correct
any slight adjustment.

All of this may not seem very important for a quick overnight rest stop when traveling, but it is certainly the name of the game when you are parked for many nights. Leveling is not a perfect science, and the 'feel' of the coach is more important than the actual 'perfect' leveling itself. If I'm parked in a site that is on a front 'downhill' slope, the LCI panel may say that I am level, but I add a slight bit to the front to make me 'feel' more level, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote