Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #2030
Mattress options for Vegas 24.1

We are purchasing a 2015 Vegas 24.1. I would like a more permanent mattress for the drop down bunk in the front. I have looked at the new 2016 models, which now come with a permanent mattress, but the customer service agent is not sure whether or not it will work on the 2015 since the bunk is deeper on the new ones to accommodate the mattress.

Has anyone gotten a foam mattress for the front bunk? I don't really want to use the air mattress, and would like something to stay permanently. Anyone have any ideas? Will a standard twin foam mattress work? What thickness should I be using?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I used the Foam Factory/Foam by Mail:
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
to order a custom mattress to fit the bunk. The one I ordered (2" memory foam and 3" standard foam) is far too thick (5" total) to fit on the bunk when its fully up. Our solution is to just throw the mattress on the rear beds and when we're parked put it on the front bunk (only raising the bunk high enough to get it out of the way during the day). Granted it isn't a perfect solution but it is more comfortable than the air mattress.

The front bunk really only has about 1" - 2" of lip protruding up from the bunk thus anything you'd get that would fit there would probably not be very comfortable.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

THOR #2030
It is for my 12 year old, who could sleep on just about anything. Do you think that 3 inches will compress with the bunk up? Or would 2 inches be better? The reason why the new one won't work is that you cannot secure the safety pins on the side with the mattress in place, or so they say.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Exactly: which is why I store it in the rear during travel. We use the bunk for our 12 year old as well.

We originally got a cheap mattress from Amazon since he could sleep on anything as well; but he found that too uncomfortable and couldn't sleep on it! LOL
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

THOR #2030
Is there room for a 2 inch memory foam type mattress? Something that would compress and then bounce back to its shape? This is really the only thing pushing me toward the 2016!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Probably, my unit is out at a storage lot so I can't just walk out an look. If you have a dealer nearby you may want to go and measure.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

THOR #2030
At the end of the day, we just got a 2016, so the mattress problem is solved....
Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Can you post some pictures of the bathroom door arrangement on that 2016? From the Thor website it looks like its a bit different from earlier models and I'm curious to see what they did.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #9

THOR #2030
We don't take delivery until next week, but I can tell you. It is split now, with one side opening up to the fridge any the other up to the back to the level of the bed. I am a big fan as I think it will be easier for my girls to open, it is held in the middle with two magnets. It also includes the closet, so my wife or I can get dressed with the kids in the front or the back.

The other changes are mostly cosmetic. There are LED can lights now as well as a charging station by the rear bed. This has four USB jacks and an inset alcove for phones, etc. and both TVs are larger and the rear radio is Bluetooth. The salesman said it would play on the outside speakers.

Those changes, and the mattress up front, made it an easy decision. If the sofa were only a fold out, sleeper type it would be pretty much perfect in my eyes.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurr View Post
We don't take delivery until next week, but I can tell you. It is split now, with one side opening up to the fridge any the other up to the back to the level of the bed. I am a big fan as I think it will be easier for my girls to open, it is held in the middle with two magnets. It also includes the closet, so my wife or I can get dressed with the kids in the front or the back.

The other changes are mostly cosmetic. There are LED can lights now as well as a charging station by the rear bed. This has four USB jacks and an inset alcove for phones, etc. and both TVs are larger and the rear radio is Bluetooth. The salesman said it would play on the outside speakers.

Those changes, and the mattress up front, made it an easy decision. If the sofa were only a fold out, sleeper type it would be pretty much perfect in my eyes.
Jamurr,

If the rear radio is the Jensen do not waste your time looking for a remote. It is probably the same radio that is in the Challenger and it is not remote control compatible so you cannot buy one if you wanted. Bluetooth does work and you can use the inside and outside speakers with the radio.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Can you post some pictures of the bathroom door arrangement on that 2016? From the Thor website it looks like its a bit different from earlier models and I'm curious to see what they did.
We have a 2016 24.1 and the bathroom doors are different. There are two doors that open from the center (hinges on left hand side and right hand side) and have round magnets at the top corners to keep them open, which makes the bathroom "bigger", using the hallway between the kitchen/living room and bedroom. Big improvement over the hinged door that had the track in the ceiling. Don't have pictures yet.