Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Michelin tire issue

We have a 2017 Challenger that we purchased new in January with Michelin 255/80R 22.5 tires, date code May 2016. RV was aligned, tires balanced and shaved at a truck alignment center shortly after we purchased it. We've put about 1500 miles on it since then.

Fast forward to Friday on our way to the dealer to have some warranty done, we noticed it developed a shimmy. Thinking this is a Ford warranty issue, we call them. They say we have to take it in to a Ford dealer to have the tires looked at. Call our local Ford dealer and they say they can look at in on Tuesday, but first step they'll take is to rotate the tires.

We are leaving on a 1700 mile, 5 state trip through mountainous areas on Thursday and really don't want to deal with a shimmy or possibly bad tires. Friday after leaving the dealer we took it back to the truck alignment shop. They tell us the front left tire is no longer round. Since they did the work of balancing and shaving back in January, meaning the tire was round then, they tell us the tire is probably bad. In the interest of safety, we wanted a new tire and didn't want to settle for just rotating a tire that is likely bad, so we locate a replacement and have it replaced Saturday morning to the tune of $660, expecting that we would absorbed that cost.

Sadly, on the way home from the tire shop, we notice the shimmy is still there. The ride is rough towards the back of the RV over the rear wheels. It's going back to the truck shop tomorrow morning where we'll have the rear tires checked also. They didn't look further after they found the bad front tire.

If we have one or more additional tires that are now out of round, were going to want to replace them before our trip. I am not too keen on paying to replace practically brand new tires past what we have spent already. Any suggestions on how we might get Ford or Michelin to reimburse our expense?

Old 10-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Probably Ford and Michelin are NOT going to replace any tires after you had them "shaved". Why you would do that with new tires is beyond me. Good luck but I don't see you getting it covered.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Probably Ford and Michelin are NOT going to replace any tires after you had them "shaved". Why you would do that with new tires is beyond me. Good luck but I don't see you getting it covered.
Shaving is also called "truing". When a tire is balanced and still slightly out of round they "true" it, or shave a tiny bit off any high spots to make it round, improving the ride. It is not uncommon. It had to be done on 4 of our 6 tires when the alignment was done.

Truing a tire will void a tread warranty, but not a manufacturing defect warranty. If we have to eat the cost, then so be it. I need good tires without defects for safety, and that are balanced and perfectly round for a smooth ride.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The other main thing I could suggest is it's a F O R D chassis, not known for being the best handling trucks on the road. Google "Ford death wobble".
If it's still under Thor warranty I'd be raising hell with them for some repairs & reimbursement on some tires. Not sure I'd mention "truing" the tires though.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I for years have only bought Michelin tires, convinced they were the safest and the best. I put a set of 22.5's on my former DP and had a terrible time getting, at least the front ones balanced. The amount of weight required to balance them, I can only categorize as scary. I had four 17 inchers on a SUV I have, and yes they were more then five years old, but had zero cracking or any sign of potential damage. Regardless one lost almost all its tread at freeway speed, I practically lost the SUV, but managed to wrestle it to a stop at the side of the freeway. The flying rubber wound up doing $5,000.00 damage, rear quarter panel, and some inside metal panels. Surprisingly the body shop told me, they get damage like that from tires that fail, and said its almost always a Michelin tire failure. Wow, that info really surprised me. When I replaced all the tires on the SUV, it was not with Michelin, and I'm rethinking what I will put on the motor home, when the time comes.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Back in the day truing tires was pretty common with recaps. As a poor young enlisted man lucky enough to have a car, $65 was a good bit to spend for 4 tires, but it did include truing and balance.
Fast forward quite a few decades: When I put new tires on our class c they just wouldn't balance to my satisfaction. Going back to my tire store and discussing it with the owner, truing was never brought up. After checking the balance at high speed off the vehicle, they rotated one of the tires 90 degrees on the rim, balanced and replaced on the vehicle. No more problems. Smooth as could be. They were Uniroyals which I'm told are now made by Michelin but I wouldn't bet my life on that info. Just interesting tidbit.

Laco - Marketing is everything! Doncha just love it?
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I know the Goodrich and Michelin are the same tire, don't know about uniroyal. Its possible with all the mergers and buyouts going on, and anyway eventually I'm convinced every business and manufacturing company will be owned by General Foods.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I know the Goodrich and Michelin are the same tire, don't know about uniroyal. Its possible with all the mergers and buyouts going on, and anyway eventually I'm convinced every business and manufacturing company will be owned by General Foods.
Gee... I'm pretty sure that it'll be Taco Bell, that ends up owning everything!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
And every retail outlet owned by Amazon.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote