Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Miramar 34.2

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, just took delivery of my second Thor product. My first was an ACE 29.2, I liked it so much, we upgraded to a Miramar 34.2.

Just wondering what other Miramar owners are thinking?? Have you run into any problems or issues yet??

Thanks,

Brian

Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Hi Brian, welcome aboard, and congrats on that new Thor!!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:30 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Florida
THOR #682
Miramar 34.2

Hi Brian,

Just joined today. I did just purchase the 34.2 Miramar and i love it. I had to drive across the state to pick up but it was a great trip.
There was a couple of issues that i repaired myself , couple of stripped cabinet hinges and a water leak at the ice maker tubing under the cabinet. Luckily caught it before any excessive water. The connection was bad at the shutoff. The only other thing is the steering wheel is a little off but drives super.

I love this motorhome! who wouldn't love that outside kitchen. Leaving at the end of Month for a week at State campground.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #4

THOR #578
Hey RetroMike,

Congrats on the new rig!! I know what you mean about that steering wheel, mine is the same, don't know I've ever seen that on a new vehicle!! It took me a while to find the water shutoff for the ice maker, the tech who did my walk thru never mentioned it.

Take a look at you bedroom TV, on the back, look at the RF connection. The RF female plug on the back of the TV broke off, because the cable was attached and bent at a hard 90 degree angle, and routed into the cabinet. I think the road vibration was enough to break that plug off. The board inside the TV will have to be replaced, or the whole TV, not sure which, it's at the dealer now.

Another oddity, it arrived from the dealer with the roof ladder broke! Also had numerous other issues, it's been back at the dealer for almost 2 weeks getting warranty fixes. I'm thinking this rig was assembled on a Fri or Mon or before a long holiday!!!!

It's a great rig, just need to get all these bugs worked out!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #5

THOR #682

Thanks for the heads up. Found another problem,they never hooked up the back of radio for Sirius radio. Called Sirius and the told me I have to pull the radio to get to the back to see if cable is back there. The Sat button will never illuminate after following all the instructions. Oh well don't need Sat radio anyhow.
Did you get any manual for the ACs? I didn't receive it in my pack. Probably end up downloading it somewhere.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 AM   #6

THOR #578
I did receive manuals for the AC's, they are AIRXCEL units, the web site on the from cover is www.rvcomfort.com also www.rvpsupport@airxcel.com
the model number is 48253C969. You should have received two packets, one for both front and rear. Those packets will have the warranty info along with a card that has the unit model number and serial number. I would check with the dealer or THOR for the info, probably good stuff to have!

Did your unit come equipped with the LINC wireless remote??
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

THOR #682
Miramar 34.2

Thanks for the info on the AC, i didnt get anything in the packet, and yes i did receive the LIP remote control, fun1
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #728
Thanks Guys. I'm in the process of negotiating with a dealership now on a 34.2. It appears I will be getting a 2015 and I'll be in line to wait a couple months.
Question for those who have the outside kitchen- does the kitchen come with the 1000watt inverter or is that a separate option? SECOND- There is an optional 1800watt inverter for the inside refrigerator. With those options, do you end up with 2 inverters or is the 1800watt designed to handle the inside frig. and the outside frig?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #9

THOR #682

Night Rider

Congrats, Good question on 1000 watt inverter, I have the outdoor kitchen and it states there is suppose to be one but I cant find one other than the 1800. I called and talked to Service Dept where i bought it and they are clueless sad to say. I haven't had the chance to call Thor yet. have been all over this coach but haven't found it yet, make sure you do a thorough inspection when you pick her up. I have found alot of inferior workmanship as far as hinges on cabinets, water leaks and loose screws on all the doors. Still havent taken her out yet thats the end of next week. Went out today and had a flat on the rear tire screw from dealership is what it looks like.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
This is where they found it on a 37D Challenger.

inverter found under the head of the bed in the one foot area that does not swing up for storage. It required removing mattress, the gadget that holds the bed up to access storage and removing the layers of panels to access.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #728
Lloyd, Thanks for your response. I received another response from dealer who thinks the inverter is in one of the passenger side storage compartments along with 2 6 volt batteries in series.
It seems like there is no manual or literature that comes with the 34.2 regarding this information and nothing that clarifies where it is and whether thereis a 1000watt for the outside frig. and an 1800 watt available for the inside frig which also powers the outside frig while you're driving,
I spoke with Miramar tech support on Friday an he wasn't sure.
We'll get a tech to respond along the way. If I was a gambler, I'd on the 1800watt powering both on the road but if you go to the "Standards and Options" brochure, it show 1000watt available for the outside and an 1800watt avail. for the optional 11 cu.ft. frig inside frig. I'll find one at a dealership somewhere and get them to show me with a volt, ohm meter.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 AM   #12

THOR #578
I'm not sure what's going on with Thor Quality control, but I was not impressed with my new 34.2!!! Like the other poster stated, I too had a lot, over 30 write ups for the dealer to repair!! They had it the first time for almost 3 weeks, barely fixed 10 problems!

For those guys with the 34.2, there should be an electrical outlet under your forward facing dinette seat, as you are sitting on the seat, it should be near your right leg. While looking for the LINC wireless control panel, I stumbled upon this outlet just sitting in the open space under the bench!! They forgot to mount the outlet!! It was wired to the circuit panel and live, just layin in the compartment.

Another problem was the TV in the bedroom. Be extremely careful while opening the cubby door that the tv is mounted to. The tv mount is way too close, which causes the RF cable to bend at an immediate 90 degree angle as soon as it comes through the hole going to the TV. This bend puts a tremendous amount of strain and pressure on the RF plug on the TV.

As you can imagine this caused the RF plug on the back of the TV to break right off, the female plug broke off the main board in the TV. It was lose when we took delivery and broke off just before our first trip! Still waiting for the dealer to repair!!

If your TV is still in good shape, I would recommend taking a jig-saw or a saws-all, remove the TV from the mount and make that hole a little bigger! Or run it back to your dealer and have them do it! It appears just road vibration and opening and closing that cubby door will put too much stress on that RF plug.

These are just a sampling of the problems I've had so far, I took delivery in early FEB, it's back at the dealer for now. I think they've had possession of it more than we have so far!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	65  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #13

THOR #578
Bench pic
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	1028
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	66  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 AM   #14

THOR #578
Another pic, it won't let me add multiple pics to a post?!?!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	967
Size:	924.8 KB
ID:	67  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #15

THOR #578
As for the inverter, my unit has one 1,800 watt inverter, it powers both fridges just fine while running on batteries or rolling down the road. The remote control panel is mounted just below the main monitor panel and the main box is mounted in the same compartment as the 50 amp power cord, on the wall.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Another pic, it won't let me add multiple pics to a post?!?!

Maybe your pics are to big?? Did you resize them?

How to add photos to a post
  • Click reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
  • Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 800 x 600 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 400K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #17

THOR #682
miramar 34.2

Hey Brian,

sorry to hear your items are also adding up. I just finally took my maiden voyage for 4 days. Wow fun!
Few other oddities that I have popped up while on trip. First thing is no windshield wiper pump and wipers fell off clips all broken, Ice maker didn't work, passenger armrest broken,and the shower wont drain very fast unless i leave the gray tank open . I made sure it wasn't clogged its got to be a vent problem.

I checked like you said about the outlet under dinette and to my surprise there is nothing,no wires nothing. My wife and i both really missed that one as its really not a very functional area without plugs.

My bedroom TV is fine as someone did cut it directly out so i have no bend?

Other than the steering wheel at a 45 degree angle I haven't had any major problems.

I called Thor and they told me to take it in and get everything fixed. We will see what happens next.

All said its minor stuff compared to how nice she sets up and drives, I love it.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #18

THOR #578
Hey Mike,

That ice maker has a water shut off valve located under the stove or the bottom drawer. You have to pull that drawer all the way out, take a flashlight and look back under the counter and you will find a water shut off valve. Rotate it 90 degrees and you will have water to the ice maker. That water line is fed from the sink in line over to the ice maker.

I have to make sure I include that on my winterization checklist so I don't forget!! That is not found in any manuals or instructions and it was not briefed during the delivery walk thru! I found it while trouble shooting.

Also, on your overhead bunk, did it come with the safety pins safety wired to a screw? Mine were missing, went on a long road trip and had the bunk start to work its way down!

Wipers were ok, I did have a fog light fall out, the metal bracket that attaches the light assembly to the fiberglass front cap broke, actually, the fiberglass broke, which caused the mount and light to fall out while driving down the road.

So you didn't get an outlet under that bench seat, that's too bad!! It is a nice place for an outlet, there isn't much for power up front. I also miss the outlet above the kitchen sink, I have to run a power strip from the entry outlet for my coffee maker!

Have you run across a scale fully loaded yet?? I ran across a state DOT truck scale on our way to the coast; all of our stuff, full tank of gas, LP, 25 gal of fresh water and deck box on a hitch hauler full of firewood, we tipped the scale at 20,890 lbs!! That's almost 5,000 heavier than my old ACE 29.2!! That extra 5 feet is HUGE!!!

Maybe Thor should invite us to the factory sometime to give some owner/user input on coach design and creature features!!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #19

THOR #578
Also, another nugget of knowledge about the tires on the Miramar and most other larger RV's. We have Michelin 235/R80/22.5. The side wall shows a max inflation of 110 PSI. The placard Thor has placed in the vehicle tells you to run them at 90 PSI.

It appears that 90 PSI is what you want to run them at if you are loaded at the max weight. I found this chart on the Michelin web site that is much more accurate. Instead of running the tires at 90 PSI, I will now run them around 77 PSI based on my weight! I've found this chart and the accompanying info very useful! I hope others may benefit from it!!

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #20

THOR #682
miramar 34.2

hey guys, just an update took Miramar in for warranty work on a few items and its been in there for a couple of weeks. Not sure if anyone has checked into the vent in Livingroom whether it can be upgraded to electric. I have asked the service department but they havent gotten back to me. Seems like Thor would have ran 12 volt to that area for that option. Just curious.: