Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Miramar 34.4 Retractable TV

In the Miramar 34.4 there is a 40" Seiki retractable TV in the living room. Has anyone replaced theirs yet? What sort of challenges did you run into if any? I'm afraid that the mounting bracket will be offset enough to cause some fitment issues on the TV.

On a side note, when the TV retracts, one side comes down a little bit further than the other. Sometimes it catches but it looks like it struggles a bit as it goes down. Any suggestions on how to realign this?

RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I have purchased a new Samsung to replace the living room TV, but have yet to put it in. Was planning on installing it this weekend.

I have not had a problem with the raising/lowering mechanism so I do not know how to adjust them, but it shouldn't be difficult unlike the slides of the RV...
Old 03-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarVA View Post
I have purchased a new Samsung to replace the living room TV, but have yet to put it in. Was planning on installing it this weekend.

I have not had a problem with the raising/lowering mechanism so I do not know how to adjust them, but it shouldn't be difficult unlike the slides of the RV...
Have you looked closely at the raising and lowering mechanism? It wouldn't surprise me if Thor re-used the Schwintek system for that as well (why not they also use it for the bunks). Sure that would be overkill for a TV but it would be common parts and ease of manufacturing.

I bet its 1 motor and 2 racks (like one side of the slide)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

THOR #5560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you looked closely at the raising and lowering mechanism? It wouldn't surprise me if Thor re-used the Schwintek system for that as well (why not they also use it for the bunks). Sure that would be overkill for a TV but it would be common parts and ease of manufacturing.

I bet its 1 motor and 2 racks (like one side of the slide)
No it is one of the first things I checked. It is just a simple worm gear that operates the lifting device.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

State: Iowa
THOR #4488
When I first bought my Miramar I opened all cupboard doors and looked in everywhere. I found the TV mounting bracket only had one screw holding it to the wall. Once I inserted the other screws the bracket raised and lowered the TV properly.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

THOR #9721
Quote:
Please follow up with your results. I was looking at a Samsung at Best Buy as a replacement as well.
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
In the Miramar 34.4 there is a 40" Seiki retractable TV in the living room. Has anyone replaced theirs yet? What sort of challenges did you run into if any? I'm afraid that the mounting bracket will be offset enough to cause some fitment issues on the TV.

On a side note, when the TV retracts, one side comes down a little bit further than the other. Sometimes it catches but it looks like it struggles a bit as it goes down. Any suggestions on how to realign this?

Similar question, as I have ‘16 34.4 as well. Does the exterior TV swing out? If so, do you pull from the left or right? It appears to be firmly in place, and I’m a bit concerned about damaging the set.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
The set on my Quantum pulls out, but is secured by fairly strong magnets. I had problems with it, and had the maintenance coordinator at my RV dealer prove it to me, so any damage would have been on him. It's snug, but does come lose from both sides and tilts on its axis.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #9

THOR #5560
OK, I replaced the living room TV this weekend. There are a couple of issues I noticed during installation.

1) The Samsung 40" is bigger than the Seki 40". It fits, but very snug.

2) The holes on the bracket come no where close to lining up with the Samsung, so drilling is required. Depending on where the power cable for the new TV is located you may have to off center the bracket a bit.

3) You will need different bolts to hold the TV to the bracket. Mine turned out to be M8 x 30mm with applicable washers and lock washers.

The installation took about an hour or so, but there was a trip to the store for parts, not included in the time.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

THOR #9721
Quote:
OK, I replaced the living room TV this weekend. There are a couple of issues I noticed during installation.

1) The Samsung 40" is bigger than the Seki 40". It fits, but very snug.

2) The holes on the bracket come no where close to lining up with the Samsung, so drilling is required. Depending on where the power cable for the new TV is located you may have to off center the bracket a bit.

3) You will need different bolts to hold the TV to the bracket. Mine turned out to be M8 x 30mm with applicable washers and lock washers.

The installation took about an hour or so, but there was a trip to the store for parts, not included in the time.
Thank you so much for following up. That is very helpful.

With the bracket holes, you think maybe building a new plate as an adapter to make up for the hole alignment would be a good solution? I hate to do more drilling if I can help it.

Bolt size is an important detail, thank you!

Would you mind posting a picture of your handy work (final product)?
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #11

THOR #5560
I doubt there is much room to add a plate adapter. I understand your hesitance to drill but if you use a bigger drill bit than needed or elongate the holes you will have some play in installation.

Pictures will have to wait until I go back to the storage lot.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

THOR #9721
Quote:
I doubt there is much room to add a plate adapter. I understand your hesitance to drill but if you use a bigger drill bit than needed or elongate the holes you will have some play in installation.

Pictures will have to wait until I go back to the storage lot.
I gotcha, that makes sense. I honestly thought that the holes configuration on the back of all TVs was standardized somehow. I figured that part would be the least of our issues.
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

THOR #5560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I gotcha, that makes sense. I honestly thought that the holes configuration on the back of all TVs was standardized somehow. I figured that part would be the least of our issues.
I think that would hold true if it wasn't built by the lowest bidder in a 3rd world country.