Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #17604
mirror vibration

Does anyone have jumpy/shaky mirrors? My driver side mirror appears tight, however while driving down the road the driver side mirror shakes pretty bad. I have tightened all the points I can see...

Old 12-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
I had that problem on a previous coach. Although the four screws holding the mirror to the wall appeared screwed in tight, the real problem was elsewhere. Turned out that water intrusion had occurred into the screwholes and the integrity of the wall was affected. So the wall was actually flexing from wind pushing on the mirror. On that coach I was able to cut a 1"×4" board which I held in place inside, under the dash as I secured the new, longer screws from the outside of the mirror all the way through the sidewall into the 1"×4". BTW- I resealed all the possible areas where water could enter before making that sandwich with the wall in the middle. Never had another problem with water intrusion nor shaking mirror syndrome.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sometimes this little trick works:
Try sticking a couple of decently heavy wheel weights on it.
This can change the harmonic vibration frequencies....
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
..."harmonic vibration frequencies"...

Bob, did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night??
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I think that Bob is talking about when you are driving down the road at 65mph plus or minus 0.5 mph and the wind is blowing at 20mph plus or minus 0.25 mph from an angle of 45 degrees.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Nope...
But having ridden street-bikes for well over 40 years: I did learn how to quiet down a set of buzzy handlebars.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #17604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Nope...
But having ridden street-bikes for well over 40 years: I did learn how to quiet down a set of buzzy handlebars.
Hahah!

I haven’t narrowed down why the driver side shakes so bad.

Is there a way to adjust the mirror position? The mirror is electronic, but the mirror arms seem static.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Could you just have a wonky electrical connection somewhere between the switch, and the mirror?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:46 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Probably freightliner mirrors? there are two different ways they come aprt depending on the year,on the later years there should be a sliding lock on the back and side of the big mirror you may have to turn mirror all the way to one side to see it and you can unlock the mirror glass and remove it and behind that are torx screw that hold the rear outer cover to the arm I think there are 6 screws see if they came loose,the older style is to tip the top glass all the way up spot all the way down and they slide into a groove to lock them in, the plastic part gets loose if the screws come loose or are broke,it is all plastic back there and they cant take a very hard hit to break the plastic
Old 01-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Probably freightliner mirrors? there are two different ways they come aprt depending on the year,on the later years there should be a sliding lock on the back and side of the big mirror you may have to turn mirror all the way to one side to see it and you can unlock the mirror glass and remove it and behind that are torx screw that hold the rear outer cover to the arm I think there are 6 screws see if they came loose,the older style is to tip the top glass all the way up spot all the way down and they slide into a groove to lock them in, the plastic part gets loose if the screws come loose or are broke,it is all plastic back there and they cant take a very hard hit to break the plastic

OP doesn't mention his coach model. If it's a Class A (other than a true bus chassis such as MCI or Prevost), the mirrors were acquired by Thor from an outside source and installed on their own, built-in-house cab.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
I would luv to have instructions like these for E450 mirrors, our driver side vibrates like the op.
A few WalMart bags stuffed between the glass and housing helps...a little.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
THOR #14450
On my Thor class A I found the 4 screws holding the mirror to the coach where just a little loose. When stopped I tried to move the mirror but it felt tight. After a couple trips I finally pulled it apart. They had one 1/4 bolt and nut and 3 screws. I have a feeling in the future I will be using bolts for the other 3.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #13

THOR #12281
Mirror Bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
I had that problem on a previous coach. Although the four screws holding the mirror to the wall appeared screwed in tight, the real problem was elsewhere. Turned out that water intrusion had occurred into the screwholes and the integrity of the wall was affected. So the wall was actually flexing from wind pushing on the mirror. On that coach I was able to cut a 1"×4" board which I held in place inside, under the dash as I secured the new, longer screws from the outside of the mirror all the way through the sidewall into the 1"×4". BTW- I resealed all the possible areas where water could enter before making that sandwich with the wall in the middle. Never had another problem with water intrusion nor shaking mirror syndrome.
I had the same problem on my Jayco Precept. I think the water seeped in around the screw heads which did not appear to have any sealer applied to them in the mirror's base screw holes.

What I did was drill all the way through the RV's side wall and switch from wood screws to stainless machine screws and I put stainless washers and locking nuts on the inside. That way I was able to torque the screws good and to tight so the mirror mount was as firm as possible. It was a little tricky, however, because the screws came out under the dash so I had to get underneath to get the washers and nuts on the machine screws.

I then resealed the mirror base to the wall and also put sealer over the screw heads to keep water out as much as possible.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:31 AM   #14

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by rook View Post
Does anyone have jumpy/shaky mirrors? My driver side mirror appears tight, however while driving down the road the driver side mirror shakes pretty bad. I have tightened all the points I can see...
What type of mirror is it?
I had a shaky Drivers Side Mirror and was ablle to fix it by tightening the Allen Screws at the end of the neck under the mirror assembly. My mirrors are the chrome electric adjustable mirrors. If you look just below the mirror assembly where it connects to the arm you will see some (three) inset Allen Screws. You might only be able to access one of them with your Allen Wrench. Loosen the accessible screw (Set screw) and that will allow you to rotate the mirror assembly. Rotate the assembly and tighten the other two Allen Screws now that they are accessible. Once they are tight then rotate the mirror assembly to its original position and retighten the original Allen Screw that you first loosened (set screw) you’re done. Happy Travels
Old 01-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #15

THOR #12281
Loose Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
What type of mirror is it?
I had a shaky Drivers Side Mirror and was ablle to fix it by tightening the Allen Screws at the end of the neck under the mirror assembly. My mirrors are the chrome electric adjustable mirrors. If you look just below the mirror assembly where it connects to the arm you will see some (three) inset Allen Screws. You might only be able to access one of them with your Allen Wrench. Loosen the accessible screw (Set screw) and that will allow you to rotate the mirror assembly. Rotate the assembly and tighten the other two Allen Screws now that they are accessible. Once they are tight then rotate the mirror assembly to its original position and retighten the original Allen Screw that you first loosened (set screw) you’re done. Happy Travels
Yes mine has those Allen screws too but my mirror was loose where it attached to the outer wall of the RV. The right mirror had loosened but the left was firmly mounted. And when I tried to tighten the screws going though the mirror mount flange, they were stripped in the wall. I could not see into the small screw hole to tell the condition of the luan wood layer in the wall. Fortunately I think I caught it and resealed it soon enough that the wall had not suffered any serious delamination. My rig is a 2017 Jayco Precept and unfortunately I don't that model incorporated the new Azdel water resistant synthetic material to replace the luan wood. I read where Coachman is now using Azdel.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:39 AM   #16

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
On 450 it's probably velvac mirrors go to there website and they have instructions for most of there mirrors, great people