Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Indiana
THOR #1477
Missing Awning Rod?

Well, I forgot to ask a couple of questions during my PDI on my new Four Winds 31L. Pretty basic question...where is the awning bar for retracting the awning manually? I'm assuming it should come with one. It's a Dometic Power Awning, 16ft. Would the bar be stashed somewhere that I'm just missing?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
If you have an automatic awning, you do not need a manual bar. There won't be a strap attached to the awning roller for manual operation anyway.

You will quickly find that the Dometic automatic system is a lot less of a hassle to setup than a manual system.

We take along a couple of bungee straps just in case it fails, but so far our Dometic awning has worked flawlessly.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On our previous coach, a Forest River class C, which had a 16ft Dometic power awning they included a black strap about 8 to 10 feet long with a plastic rod about 4 inches long at one end. This strap is used to manually retract the awning if it should fail. The instructions were included in the awning's operating instructions. Google Dometic awning pull strap and you will see pictures of the strap.

As a note, check Dometic's website and the web for recall information on the Dometic Power Awnings. My awning deployed while travelling at 55mph on I95. It turns out that Dometic had recalled a series of awnings and the OEM (Forest River) could not track them back to the coaches they were installed on. Dometic did pay for the replacement awning and they did so in a very professional manner. My class C was out of commission for about 2 months but that was because there were no service centers that could work in the installation and side wall repair any sooner.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote