Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Inverter

Hi I have a chateau 24 and wondering a decent inverter to get also should I also look at an inverter/charger ? TIA

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabobo View Post
Hi I have a chateau 24 and wondering a decent inverter to get also should I also look at an inverter/charger ? TIA
You should already have a WFCO three stage charger, so an inverter/charger would be an unnecessary expense and wiring problem. A 1,000 watt (8.3 amps @ 120 volts) inverter will run most things. If you plan on using the inverter to power many electrical motors, a pure sine wave inverter is best. If the inverter load is mostly resistive (lights coffee maker, toaster, TV, computer), a modified sine wave inverter will work fine. Rule of thumb is you need about 200 amp/hours of battery power for each 1,000 watts of inverter. Remember it takes about 10 amps of battery current to produce 1 amp of 120 volt A/C current. I have a 31 foot coach with two fridges, a portable ice maker, three TV and a satellite setup. I never see a load greater than 4.5 amps on my 1,000 watt Xantrex Pro watt inverter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
its true that while most of us want a sizeable inverter, its really limited by the size of your battery bank/battery hours. You could install a 3000w inverter, as some larger coaches have, and yet with only a single 12v house battery, the inverter would ultimately do no more than a simple 1,000w model - your battery bank will be a better determination, unless you are expanding the batteries as well.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #4

THOR #4735
you also could simply purchase an off the shelf w*mrt power inverter, in the tire/battery section, and have an easy 120v power option, with minimal cost and effort
Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #5

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you also could simply purchase an off the shelf w*mrt power inverter, in the tire/battery section, and have an easy 120v power option, with minimal cost and effort

Hello, just a question tho,how long could I run my tv & a blu ray player on my factory battery's?
Thank You
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #6

THOR #4735
Who knows - how many factory batteries do you have? Are they 6 V or 12 V?
Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Who knows - how many factory batteries do you have? Are they 6 V or 12 V?

Sorry, I have 2 , 12v
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

THOR #4735
tvs and dvd/blueray devices don't require much power, so the batteries should have no problem powering them the whole night, if you're an all-nighter type.

of course, most folks don't take into consideration all the 'other' 12v items that are being used while just on the batteries, also, such as lights, fans, the water pump, furnace, and normal draws from C02 and propane detector, etc., that also draw down your batteries at the same time.

So, answering your question is really an impossible task. Everyone 'uses' power differently, and the state of your batteries, the time you are using devices, and even the outside temperature all play a role in 'how long' batteries can do anything.

But, it's doubtful that only using a few 12v and 120v items during the evening hours is going to be any real issue for your batteries, when you are off-grid.

It's both a combination of your Inverter usage AND your 12v items that will determine your 'battery time'... and it's different for everyone, and even different every day.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree. If you have TWO 12 v or 6 V batteries in good shape abd fully charged than one TV and one DVD player should go for hours before you have any problems.

Just monitor your batteries every hour or so until you figure out what works best for you.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabobo View Post
In installed the Aims 1200 watt inverter last summer in mine. I love it.
Best bang for the buck IMO. Works seamlessly with the factory setup (the way I have mine setup).

Model# PWRIX120012S 1200 Watt Pure Sine Inverter, Built In Transfer Switch.

It was only $169 on Amazon. I also purchased a remote switch for $25 and installed it all myself.

Do a search on this site this one and other inverter writeups.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #11

THOR #7466
inverter

thank you both for the fast reply
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #12

THOR #4735
that's right, as batteries are not a 'specific' output device like others, as far a time goes.
Your inverter will output 120v power, for sure, at least as long as you have enough battery power.
Your shore power will give you 120v power, normally, as long as it has power itself.
Your generator, the same, as long as it has fuel.

While batteries give 12v output, the 'time' it will last is not indefinite, therefore the 'amount' of that 12v you use is going to impact the 'time' you have to use it - and it will be different in almost any and all situations.
Even if your neighbor has your exact same coach, parked right next to you, and under the exact same conditions, will probably not have the same outcome. It's just the nature of batteries.

This reminds me of the time I helped with my city's power bills - the billing department seemed to be the front for many calls and complaints about why the bill was so 'high'.
Inevitably, the conversation went from why 'my' bill is so high, to why is my bill not the same as my 'neighbors'??
The reality is that the neighbor's house may be better insulated.
They may run the air conditioner less.
They may not leave the front door open.
etc.,....

It's the same power source, and will bill for the same amount of usage, but one house that 'looks' like another house may not necessarily have the same bill!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #13

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
In installed the Aims 1200 watt inverter last summer in mine. I love it.
Best bang for the buck IMO. Works seamlessly with the factory setup (the way I have mine setup).

Model# PWRIX120012S 1200 Watt Pure Sine Inverter, Built In Transfer Switch.

It was only $169 on Amazon. I also purchased a remote switch for $25 and installed it all myself.

Do a search on this site this one and other inverter writeups.

Why did you install the remote switch? Doesn't that inverter have an automatic transfer switch?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Why did you install the remote switch? Doesn't that inverter have an automatic transfer switch?
I believe the remote switch he installed was to power the inverter on/off and not an automatic transfer switch taking different power sources.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #15

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
I believe the remote switch he installed was to power the inverter on/off and not an automatic transfer switch taking different power sources.

That was my point. If it's automatic, then why would you need to turn it off?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
They are two different things. The auto transfer switch will take either the inverter AC power, or the AC power from shore/generator and out put it to the circuit. The on/off switch will turn the inverter on or off. So if you are not connected to shore power and the inverter is on, then the inverter will supply power to the circuit. If you do not want all the devices on the circuit to consumer power, for example TVs for standby, fully charged laptop, etc. then you power the inverter off, thus not inverting power for nothing.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
That was my point. If it's automatic, then why would you need to turn it off?
To keep from running down your batteries when stored without shore power. Or to lessen the use of your batteries when boondocking and you don't need 120 VAC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #18

THOR #4735
- an automatic transfer switch, or relay in an inverter, simply 'bypasses' the Inversion and passes thru 120v power from the original source: generator or shore power, since you don't want the Inverter 'inverting' when there is already 120v power available

- the 'on/off' switch, remotely, is simply to power down the Inverter when it's not needed, and DOESN'T need to remain on, such as when the RV is in storage, when you're plugged into shore power for weeks or months, etc.: otherwise you might have to turn it on/off from it's built-in switch/button, which is sometimes hard to get to or not easy to reach, depending on where the Inverter is mounted/stored/installed.

Most of us with larger Inverters, such as the Magnum ME2012 or MS2012, have a Magnum 'Remote' - which is a readout panel, usually above the door, or in the hallway, that no only shows battery levels, and provides for changes of settings, but also turning the unit On and Off. If I had to turn my Inverter on and off from the inverter itself, I would be very aggravated, as I would have to go outside, and reach in to a very tight space and 'hope' that I was pushing the button, since the way it's mounted in the small inverter bay.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

THOR #5837
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to add an inverter to power TVs and outlets. I was thinking of getting the AIMS 1200W inverter that was mentioned earlier in this thread. My plan is to do something like in the attached diagram. I would transfer the desired TV/outlet circuits from the existing panel to a new sub-panel, which would be powered from the inverter. And I would have AC power supplied from the existing panel to the inverter. Would this work okay?

The trick is to figure out where to install the inverter and the new sub-panel. There is a compartment under the bed next to the compartment with the exiting panel that might work if we install some cooling vents there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	13943  
Old 11-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Quote:
Yes but it give you the option of shutting it off totally. Plus it show GREEN light when on inverter and YELLOW when on shore power. But its switches so fast the TV does not even flicker when watching them.

Plus by having this swich I can run the Frig on 120 (Genney or shore) 12v battery or Gas. So now I have a 3 way frig if I want.