Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Don't know where you get your stats but I get 10 MPG with my Vegas.

Kev
I don't think you can compare MPG from the V10 in a 25' or 27' Vegas to MPG in a 37' or 38' Challenger. Obviously if the same engine is in a unit 3,000 or 4,000 pounds heavier and/or with more wind resistance it isn't going to get close to the same MPG. As a matter of fact, we could probably have the exact same year and size of coach and depending on how we each drive them and load them we could probably get 2 or 3 mpg different recordings. Just because we each have the exact same engine doesn't really mean much IMHO.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #22
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I don't think you can compare MPG from the V10 in a 25' or 27' Vegas to MPG in a 37' or 38' Challenger. Obviously if the same engine is in a unit 3,000 or 4,000 pounds heavier and/or with more wind resistance it isn't going to get close to the same MPG. As a matter of fact, we could probably have the exact same year and size of coach and depending on how we each drive them and load them we could probably get 2 or 3 mpg different recordings. Just because we each have the exact same engine doesn't really mean much IMHO.
I understand that but I was responding to the comment that the V10 will never see more than 6-8 MPG. There was no mention of it depending on the weight of the vehicle.

Kev
Old 08-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
I understand that but I was responding to the comment that the V10 will never see more than 6-8 MPG. There was no mention of it depending on the weight of the vehicle.
I got 14 mpg a few times in both of my F-Series pickups (F-250, and F-350). It really wasn't much fun, though, trying to get it up to 14 mpg. The big V-10 in a pickup was like driving a Mustang around--especially the F-350 since I had a 5-Star power tune in it
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
That was exactly the point on a couple of replies -- instead of the engine being looked at as inefficient, maybe it's the motorhome that is the gas guzzler.

I'll take it a step farther and say that for an Axis the Ford V10 is a little too large to get optimum fuel economy. On a van like mine the V10 is way too large for optimum fuel economy. Instead of 15 I could get around 20 MPG if the engine was much smaller.

It's not a coincidence that new smaller Transit- and ProMaster-based motorhomes have V6s nearly half the size.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #25

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
JoeFL lives in SW Florida. I have been camping in my motorhome based in SE Florida for over 16 years --all with the V10. My data is based on the ACE 30.2 (31+ft) in South Florida and environs, and the heat and humidity here reduces the V10 mpg on highways by 10% when using the indash AC compared to not using it. Our genny powers one A/C and the fridge using .25 gph. The numbers changed for us substantially when humidty was reduced as we traveled in other parts of the US. So factor in size, weight, temperature, and relative humidity into the equation. Still boils down to if mpg is important, than motorhoming may not be right for you.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 AM   #26

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
On my 2015 Vegas 24.1 I drive with the chassis air on all the time. I also have the selector switch in Max Air position and fan speed max as well. I have never gotten less than 10 mpg and thus far we have put 8800 miles on the Vegas this past year.

Most of that mileage was driven in FL in temperatures well into the 90s. I have yet to also run the generator so that we can run the roof A/C because the chassis A/C was not able to keep us comfortable.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 AM   #27

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Never had an RV less than 28 ft. I have also never gotten 10mpg in Florida. In Colorado, yes. Here in Florida, with high humidity and summer temps get around 7, maybe 7.5; lower temps and lower humidity in winter get around 8-8.25. Wish I could get 10mpg....Big difference in the size and weight of the units impacts mpg and how well the AC can cool the interior space. Our ACE 30.2 has, IMHO, undersized AC (we added a second unit with it's own separate cord in the master). On a hot day, even starting at 72 in the am, in direct sun it cannot keep up on a 90 degree day.
JoeFL's rig is 37 ft (not 24). Just saying as the size of the rig makes a big difference in performance and comfort. Makes me consider going smaller next time, when my grands are older and they don't want to RV with us anymore. Hope that day never comes though.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 AM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
On my 2015 Vegas 24.1 I drive with the chassis air on all the time. I also have the selector switch in Max Air position and fan speed max as well. I have never gotten less than 10 mpg and thus far we have put 8800 miles on the Vegas this past year.

Most of that mileage was driven in FL in temperatures well into the 90s. I have yet to also run the generator so that we can run the roof A/C because the chassis A/C was not able to keep us comfortable.
Ed, can you remind me again how you get such great mileage?

I'm guessing yours is an E-350 -- is that right? What speed do you drive? Do you tow? Travel extra light? In other words, what's your secret?

You must also drive very steady to consistently get at least 10 MPG.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:12 AM   #29

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ed, can you remind me again how you get such great mileage?

I'm guessing yours is an E-350 -- is that right? What speed do you drive? Do you tow? Travel extra light? In other words, what's your secret?

You must also drive very steady to consistently get at least 10 MPG.
Chance, I must drive like ED because I have averaged 10MPG for 15000 miles. I have E350 V10 25ft class C and Ed has class A but they are about the same length. As stated earlier we been IL. to Cal. and many place in between and if its hot I run the air. Last trip was IL to LA all the way through Texas to Phoenix and back through NM, OK, MO. plus it was 110 while we where in Phoenix. I drive 65 but do hit 70 depending on wind and traffic. I use cruise until I hit mountains.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I am also curious as I've never seen anything higher than 9 in our Axis. Granted most of the time we are either pulling a car or have the genny running (or both) but we have on the odd instance run solo w/o generator.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #31

THOR #1249
Like Ed, I get 10 or little better most of the time we are interstate driving, a little less on secondary roads and a lot less in the mountains and hills. A lot depends on wind strength, direction and terrain. Very seldom go much over 60 mph. Once out west heading east, on high desert, with strong, quartering tail wind and a long flat run, the mpg between fill-ups was extraordinary. Wife had to check the numbers twice.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I am also curious as I've never seen anything higher than 9 in our Axis. Granted most of the time we are either pulling a car or have the genny running (or both) but we have on the odd instance run solo w/o generator.
As you well know, the generator will burn about 0.5 GPH or more if running AC, so that's going to reduce your MPG by close to 10%. Given that condition, and that you tow, you're doing fairly good.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #33

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Chance -- my 2015 Vegas 24.1 is on the E-350 chassis. We are generally packed with everything we need when we arrive -- all the food, clothing, 4 chairs, gas grill, etc. Never weighed the RV, but we are pretty well full.

I try to maintain 65 mph when driving. Most of my mileage has been in pretty flat country (here in FL), but we do have two trips from FL to VA/MD/PA. The longer trips did get into the hills of VA, MD, and PA.

I don't have a TOAD. We run the chassis A/C at full speed, but have yet to augment the air conditioning by running the generator/roof A/C. I try not to surge speeds while driving and maintain a fairly steady speed.

On the last trip from FL up to PA/MD/VA (where we have family) I actually averaged 11.2 mpg. But a lot of the driving in VA & PA was in 75 degree weather. Almost all my FL driving has been in 85-95 degree weather.

We have 8800 miles on the RV now. I change the oil every 5000 miles instead of the Ford recommended 7500. I use 87 octane and pretty much limit the brand of gas to either Shell or BP (same as what we use in our Subaru Forester).

Of all the factors effecting gas mileage in my case the biggest impact seems to be speed an outside temp.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
....cut....

On the last trip from FL up to PA/MD/VA (where we have family) I actually averaged 11.2 mpg. But a lot of the driving in VA & PA was in 75 degree weather. Almost all my FL driving has been in 85-95 degree weather.

....cut.....
Thanks Ed. That 11.2 is very impressive for +/- 65 MPH, or at any speed.

Maybe with the lower displacement V8 (if made available in Axis) combined with 6-speed and 4:10 gears (E-350) a conservative driver may get close to 12 MPG.

I've always wished for a range of 600 miles so I would only have to fill up once a day on average. Looks like you're pretty close to that already. Thanks again!