Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
What happened, Vegas?

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 02-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #42

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Each Thor Inc factory is managed as a separate unit. What happens at Airstream or Jayco has no bearing on Thor Motorcoach, Thor Motorcoach consist of at least 4 factory and each is its own entity. Thor motor coach usually includes a PDI checklist for each coach and provides a dealer, salesman trainer so that your dealer and his PDI tech is knowledgeable on the Thor products they sell. I have toured four of the Thor Inc factory's and also seen the plant 750 QC section in operation. Four different guys and girls checking off items on their list after the coach gets out of the water spray booth.
so what exzact do the QC employee's do????pretty safe to say none of them open and close the driver side window...do any measure or check the amount of air flow coming out of the vents??? QC starts in the field,.. what I see happening is this...once it covered up.... no way to check...the foreman sits in his office while installers make the same mistake over and over...I build custom homes, I'm in the field watching every step... I constantly hear …" this is how we have been doing it for years" so as of today you are gonna start doing it right....

here's some thing that just happened....and the thought of it gets worse and worse....by design, thor put the tv on the back of the bathroom wall, not a problem,... not where I would have put it.... but still mounted correct... not a problem...next what they did was put the only place to put a car seat... direct below the tv...so in the event the tv falls.... right on the kids head...
while driving from vegas to havasu,..the tv started to come loose from the wall,... wife says , honey you need to pull over the tv is gonna fall and break.... ah, it's ok , its on a steel mount and it wiggles a lot..... few more miles down the road..." honey, pull over the tv is coming loose and is gonna break...sure enough, I was able to just pull the tv off the wall.... they mounted it with 6 little 9/16''long screws ,screwed into the paneling...then put two heavy metal brackets , and mounted the tv....those tv mounting brackets come with 3/8'' lag bolts for home use... what do you think will happen going down a bumpy road,... I say thor is very lucky no one has been injured or had a child killed in the car seat
Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #43

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
What happened, Vegas?
sorry for my last reply to you, I ment thanks for posting the number, and I called and was on hold....I did talk to a couple different people at thor,..both un aware of so of the problems with the finish product...same problems over and over... I have purchaced 3 new thors, vegas, 27b and the 29m I now own... all three same problems....over and over,no one addresses the issues,they just keep turning out the same coaches in need of the same fix....and it's not a cost thing,... it's people not doing their job,.. or checking to see if it works right..
Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #44

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've had excellent service from mine. I did go back to factory in December for a small warranty punch list and was treated like Royalty. I had a blind assembly fall down, water heater didn't work on electric side, two drawer guides had to be re-aligned, awning stopped sometimes half way through cycle...a few other things but nothing more than what I was prepared for. All-in-all, I give them 4.75 Stars.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #45

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I've had excellent service from mine. I did go back to factory in December for a small warranty punch list and was treated like Royalty. I had a blind assembly fall down, water heater didn't work on electric side, two drawer guides had to be re-aligned, awning stopped sometimes half way through cycle...a few other things but nothing more than what I was prepared for. All-in-all, I give them 4.75 Stars.
I also had a blind fall down,... the reason this is happening is the screws are too short to reach the backing and end up just screwed into the paneling...
Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #46

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I'm confused. Pretty normal for me but... Yesterday, you moved the TV from the bathroom wall to in front of the window, and today, the TV fell off the bathroom wall? I'm sure I missed something.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:24 AM   #47

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
I'm confused. Pretty normal for me but... Yesterday, you moved the TV from the bathroom wall to in front of the window, and today, the TV fell off the bathroom wall? I'm sure I missed something.
no, yesterday I moved the tv off the king bed,,,, it fell off the wall first trip out, so I made a new bracket to mount it on the window wall
Old 02-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #48

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
What were the same things that were wrong on all 3 of your units,so I can check mine,I also have a 2019 Thor motor home.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #49

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
What were the same things that were wrong on all 3 of your units,so I can check mine,I also have a 2019 Thor motor home.
Well, here goes....I wanna start with the reason for buying this coach, we live in the desert, temps get over 120 degrees at times and use the coach in vegas and havasu area... so I bought this coach and payed the premium to get the 2 ac 50 amp option...what I found here and on all three coach's is total un acceptable... and the install from Thor Horrible....while testing the units I found the air flow at the registers to be weak... the units to be extremely noisy, I have also found this to be ture,.. if you get the proper flow and exchange , ther is not a need for the chill vents as what they do is block 50% of the return air, yeah, you will be cool standing right under the chill vent,.. but that does nothing for cooling the rest of the coach...so there is a mod that I always do to quiet the unit and increase air circulation ….so where I always start is to remove the coleman factory plastic cover on the ceiling...what I found floored me... the thought that I just paid very good hard earned saved money for this!!!!
Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #50

THOR #12329
here's some pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04592.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	15594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04593.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	15595  

Name:	DSC04594.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	15596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04595.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	15597  

Old 02-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #51

THOR #12329
and some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04596.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	15598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04597.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	15599  

Name:	DSC04598.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	15600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04599.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	15601  

Old 02-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #52

THOR #12329
ok, so there are the pics... some of you will see whats wrong...and some of you won't... to those of you that don't... don't feel bad because the guy, or gal , that did the install doesn't either...so I will narrate a little for those of you not knowing..

Ill start with a little reasoning,... the reason that you pay to have a second AC is not bragging rights,... it's so the AC system will work more efficient..and it's not cheep as you have to up the generator size to handle the 2 ac"s

so,... look at the first pic...the little white wire dangling.. that's the probe that is supposed to be pushed into the evaporator... the evap. is the part that the cooled Freon is pumped through and warmer air blows across and becomes colder and pushed through the duct and out the vents...

what the probe does is stops the evap from freezing and icing over which in turn blocks air flow... so what happens is the unit shuts down,... there have been many discussion's about where to place the probe as in 2'' down from the top...the recommended spot...but never just lay'n in the grille tray
Old 02-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #53

THOR #12329
next,... the second pic...again not to be redundant , but for those learning about how not to install a rv roof ac... you will see a huge mistake that has just robbed me of about 50% of my AC's efficiency, and whats causing the low air flow at my regs. the little foam wall is supposed to block the service side(cold air) from blowing into the return air (Warmer air from coach) as you can see,.. they put the divider in the middle of the service duct,,,so what happens, as it should work... one side of the wall is pressure(cold air) and the other side is suction (warm air from coach) this is critical as that is how you get to the optimum air exchange ,.. as is... the air is just cavitating in the box
Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #54
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ice-12980.html

You may find it relevant to your A/C repairs (all 12 pages of it).
Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #55

THOR #12329
also in the second pic, you will see the "HUGE" liability that will not only cost Thor,... but me have a coach owner,... this coach could very easy burn to the ground....the yellow wire, 30 amp constant 120volts is run through the service duct and is rubbing and chafing against the metal edge.... this would never pass any kind of inspection and so that riva sticker is nothing more than that...a sticker...

also if you look,... you can see that the pics are of both units...who ever done this wrong... does all of them wronggggg
Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #56

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ice-12980.html

You may find it relevant to your A/C repairs (all 12 pages of it).
yes sir... I ve been thorgh all those threads and if you look back , you will see my mod on my vegas 24.1....that's the reason for this thread.... they are getting worse.... not better
Old 02-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #57
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
yes sir... I ve been thorgh all those threads and if you look back , you will see my mod on my vegas 24.1....that's the reason for this thread.... they are getting worse.... not better
Hmm must not have looked hard enough..I checked before posting the link.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #58

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Hmm must not have looked hard enough..I checked before posting the link.
I was in deep on that thread, and showed my mods...the thing to remember is this...AC's are an air exchange...too small of a return or service ducts are gonna be a huge deduction efficiency...you have to push cold air in and pull warm air out for it to work,... on my newest coach with both ac's on it sounded like a helicopter landed on my roof,..

with the chill grill, 50% of the return is blocked... this is evident when you pull it off the unit get quieter and theres more air flow at the regs.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #59

THOR #12329
next you will see on pic 4 and 6.. the white control box... there are two studs provided to mount the box...and on both units they only put the holding clips on one side, so Amagine it didn't take long bouncing down the road for it to come loose.....that's the wiring and control for the unit and all it takes is for one of the wire to come loose to shut you down...

for me, I was planning to do a mod to the units anyway because I can't stand the noise... to have to turn up the volume on the tv when the ac kicks on is not acceptable when I know it can be better..
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #60

THOR #12329
so anyway,... I tidied the wiring,.. put the probe where it goes, put the divide wall and sealed up the service to go direct to vents....got rid of the plastic stock grill and installed a residential metal one... I now have twice the return air,,, way way quieter... twice the air force blowing out the ac vents...and put nuts on the control boxes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04604.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	15603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04603.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	15604