Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 AM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
the other thing, my wife doesn't hear the noise,... I haven't ever rode on her side,... but, she says it not there...she loves this coach and wants to keep it,... if I don't like something it goes to the curb... not much life left to be miserable '' so In looking... I found that where they ran the wires on the driverside they never sealed the hole.....so I sealed that up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04607.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	15848  

Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #82

THOR #12329
next, I know the side windows leak at higher speeds,.. I found that out by putting duct tape out there and some of the noise went away..so I put some adheasive clear chalking around the edge
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04605_LI.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15849  
Old 02-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #83

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
My wife found Jerry’s mods on the Thor forum. From there I read everything thing I could find. Added front and back sway bars, steering stabilizer. We took a trip to La Grange and it was much better. Next week I get the sumos added and all the stuff needed to tow my toad. We are excited to start enjoying the RV.
who's doing the install??half of how well they work is who installs them
Old 02-26-2019, 02:56 AM   #84

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioradio View Post
Any job that doesn’t allow you to use your phone would be a low end job for the most part.
you mean like AC installer at a RV factory???
Old 02-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #85

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
who's doing the install??half of how well they work is who installs them

I found a RV shop about an hour from me that comes highly recommended. When I was in La Grange there was a Tiffin group from different cities in Texas and several of them use him. He also is a approved Tiffin warranty provider. I feel confident he can do the job
Old 02-26-2019, 03:38 AM   #86

THOR #12329
Quote:
I found a RV shop about an hour from me that comes highly recommended. When I was in La Grange there was a Tiffin group from different cities in Texas and several of them use him. He also is a approved Tiffin warranty provider. I feel confident he can do the job
on your coach would put them behind the axel and use yellow bags...you wanna measure where it sits now to make sure not too much pre load on the sumo's that's if you do max kit...
Old 02-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #87

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Your math is correct. My point is Thor should never have put that MH on the road. I did a test drive but only a few minutes on the freeway. I had a two hour drive home. Thought I was going to die several times.
Not to argue, but my 31 ft Thor MC on a 190" 18,000 lb chassis handles just fine even in 50 mph crosswinds we occasionally have in Texas. I did add Sumo springs to control the body sway and a rear track bar. The track bar is not needed unless I tow. When towing, I could feel the dolly pull the rear of the coach around on windy days. I didn't like the way that felt, so I added a track bar. I run with the chassis maxed out (6,100 on the front and 11,820 lbs on the rear). The truck and dolly weigh another 3,500 lbs. 27,000 trouble free miles except for being sideswiped twice while parked. About 8,000 of these miles were driven by my 77 year old, 120 lb wife, of 55 years. By the way this is my third class A MC and the first one was a pusher.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #88

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Not to argue, but my 31 ft Thor MC on a 190" 18,000 lb chassis handles just fine even in 50 mph crosswinds we occasionally have in Texas. I did add Sumo springs to control the body sway and a rear track bar. The track bar is not needed unless I tow. When towing, I could feel the dolly pull the rear of the coach around on windy days. I didn't like the way that felt, so I added a track bar. I run with the chassis maxed out (6,100 on the front and 11,820 lbs on the rear). The truck and dolly weigh another 3,500 lbs. 27,000 trouble free miles except for being sideswiped twice while parked. About 8,000 of these miles were driven by my 77 year old, 120 lb wife, of 55 years. By the way this is my third class A MC and the first one was a pusher.
there's always something you can do to make them handle just a little better, or you can just do nothing...for every coach on the road with mods done... there are hundreds and hundreds that have done nothing...learning to drive each particular coach is more the deal... major mistake when driving an RV is sawing at the steering wheel.. tire side wall flex will follow the rim, and coach...over correcting will get the tires moving back and forth and can get violent … shortest coach on the longest wheel base is optimum ,and how its weight is distributed ...I had an alpine 34'r ,400 hp and 1200 TQ on the peak chassis.. it only had 40k miles, and I restored...moderized it, fll new interior... I couldn't get past the vansco wiring so I sold it and bought a new pace arrow...what a difference...the friegt shaker lived up to it's name... ruffest riding coach I think ive ever owned....but again.. there are hundereds and hundreds out there that think they ride smooth...
Old 02-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #89

THOR #12329
just so everyone knows... I'm not one to sugar a turd cause it's mine..if it's total junk, I'll say so..if I don't like it,.. i'll fix it or sell it...

that being said,..this thor hurricane is pretty much rattle free..I bought a 2019 winniebago intent, a 2018 hurricane 27b, a 2018 fr3, 2018 vegas, 24.1, 2018 thor 22e class C.. of all the newest ones I've owned.. this one is the smoothest riding and most rattle free.. my self, I'm a Van down by the river kinda guy... I don't want a big diesel pusher...in fact, most of the time I own two RV's.. one for when I go by my self,... and one for when my wife and dogs go...I loved the little class B born free I had... got close to 100k miles so I cut her loose..I'll probley pick up another Van and put a bed in it for trips to havasu and back
Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #90

THOR #12329
So I'm sitting here in vegas waiting for the crack of Dawn to show up so I can go test ride the thor….I sprayed a lot of foam sealer and put big beads of chalking around the front windows... wanted it to set up over night before the test ride..... gonna take my DB meter , but I hope found the wind noise and stopped the air coming in blowing fiber glass shaving all over... driving down the road scratching like a crack head wasn't fun...I'll report my findings,,,
Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #91

THOR #12329
So daylight finally showed up, I found out this.... when my dash heater is on defrost,... air only comes out the 2 center ducts... the 2 outside one do nothing....maybe two for heat... and two for cool???? anyway, the two center ones come out under on the hood side . big gapping holes that let outside air in the coach... the other thing.... do you think that the panel they are hooked to is fastened my just the duct trim???
Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #92

THOR #12329
so now the test drive... all was good, db's at low 50's at 60 mph....pushed it to 70 mph … bamm… noise is back...gotta think it's the windshield seal leaking..... but really don't have a clue...gonna try taping the seal and re check...
Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #93

THOR #12329
ok, found the noise, and water leak... the whole side of the windshield isn't sealed... so water and air gets in...taprd over the rubber and noise gone...super quiet now.... but... whats the fix..is the windshield installed with urethane... or just the rubber gasket?? gonna have to call thor on this one...not something I wanna mess with
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #94

THOR #12329
So, I'm sitting here waiting to call Thor....not really sure what the fix is, and I hope it's not the windshield opening,..and not sure I want a half A$$ fix to the leak problem...and would probley be better off fixing it myself..but, I think the windshield got install pushed over to the passenger side too far....or there is sum ting wong with the front cap...wish I could here from someone with knowledge of how the windshied is installed...I don't want to tear in to the fix and find out it's beyond what I can fix and void the warranty I have some very good R &R adhesive sealer that is used to stick tiles to fiberglass swimming pools that I know would seal it up....also the molding is installed upside down with the seam at the top...any help here????thanks..
Old 02-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #95

THOR #12329
talked to thor this morning, they sent me this...

WINDSHIELD BACKFILL PROCESS

Step # 1
Take off the trim pc that sits against the top of the windshield.

Step #2
Tape off where the windshield meets the cap leaving a 1 inch gap between the windshield and the cap.

Step # 3
Use windshield urethane (big bead) to fill the 1 inch gap between the top of the glass and the cap.

Step # 4
Put rubber gloves on and push and smooth out urethane bead, pushing urethane into crevasses between windshield and cap as you smooth it out.

Step # 5
Pull tape off leaving nice clean lines and let dry 3 or 4 hours.

Step # 6
Reattach trim pc.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #96

THOR #12329
my problem is the leak is all down the driver side A pillar....how do you get the plastic windshield post cover off???? looks like it's glued in befor the dash went in???
Old 02-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #97

THOR #12329
I need to change my screen name to red headed step kid....not much help here from the thor members
Old 02-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #98
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
I need to change my screen name to red headed step kid....not much help here from the thor members
I don't think anyone has tried to re-seal their windshield by themselves--esp if it was under warranty.

As for your prior comment about the A pillar: Are you talking about the inside? Most windshields I'm familiar with are held on from the outside--even on our Axis. Why would you have to mess with the A pillar?

Posting pics of the problem spots also seems to prompt discussion over textual descriptions in my experience.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #99

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I don't think anyone has tried to re-seal their windshield by themselves--esp if it was under warranty.

As for your prior comment about the A pillar: Are you talking about the inside? Most windshields I'm familiar with are held on from the outside--even on our Axis. Why would you have to mess with the A pillar?

Posting pics of the problem spots also seems to prompt discussion over textual descriptions in my experience.
when ever a windshield is removed they have to take the inside trim pieces off, they remove the windshield with a wire that cuts through the adhesive. I'll take some pics..
Old 02-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #100

THOR #12329
here's how she looks now,.... no water or air leaks...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04608.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	15871