Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #13978
My jacks say they are down, but they are up?

Jacks will not go up or down. Have plenty of power. Lights on console flash. Say jacks are down. But not down. HELP!!!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
What unit? Do you have auto levelers or stabilizers?
Old 02-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!
Is there a requirement that the parking brake be set? That might cause what you are seeing.

What model and year is your RV, and what brand is the jack system? Is it a factory option or a aftermarket addition? No one here seems to have ESP, so without more details we can only guess.

BTW, we're having a little gathering of Thor Forum folks at Ocala Sun RV April 5-7. I started a thread here you can find by searching. We are expecting a Thor rep to come and answer our questions. Come and make some new friends!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 AM   #4

THOR #13978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugs1 View Post
Jacks will not go up or down. Have plenty of power. Lights on console flash. Say jacks are down. But not down. HELP!!!
It is a 2016 Thor Outlaw. Yes the brake was on.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I assume by the number of posts that you are a newbie...

You didn't provide a lot of information so my suggestion may be worthless, but try starting the engine and leveling while it is running.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Your might want to check the hydraulic fluid reservoir. If the fluid is low could be a reason for the problem
Old 02-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Assuming it is a Lippert System this link "may or may not" help you decipher and respond to certain alarms/ lights flashing / operation etc. You should have also received a manual with your coach describing the specific system you have; how to operate it and trouble codes etc.

https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0021.pdf
Old 02-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Ours is a 2016 Outlaw class C.
It has the Lippert hydraulic level system.
Emergency brake needs to be engaged.
Use switch in use mode.
Engine running.
If there is an error on the control pad, there is a combination of keys on it to push for ten seconds simultaneously, I just don't recall which ones they were.
Look in your manual, it may explain what to do.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 AM   #9

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I just had the same problem with my 2017 Challenger. Jacks were up but console said they were down. Could not get them to operate at all. Took it in for repairs and they replaced the hydraulic pump. $1500 parts and labor. Luckily, it was covered under my extended service contract (factory warranty had expired).
Old 02-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Does your leveler control panel seem to be operating correctly?
Or is it stuck in a mode and/or blinking and beeping, maybe?
If so, have you tried to reset the panel?

Here is a couple resets I searched out on these forum threads:
Depends on the system. Some reset by pressing all 4 arrow keys at the same time.
Or, maybe
Press "enter" and "retract" at the same time.
Make sure to press and hold them for 5 to 10 seconds!

Let us know if you tried this.
I am a detail type of individual, so lots of descriptive info will help.

I am not an electronics technician, I was a machine repairman during my career, and I have dealt with many a hydraulic system.
As complex as hydraulic systems are, I do have a pretty good understanding of how Lippert's system is supposed to work from troubleshooting a problem I once had.

A lot of the components are available for repairing the system.
If it is determined the control panel itself is bad, that itself is about a $250 part.
Then, I discovered how to reset it, deducing it was not in need of replacing.

My problem was the jacks stayed down, deployed, so I loosened connections, used a prybar to raise them, leaking the fluid on the ground in the process, before I could drive away home.
This does not sound like your problem because you say your jacks are up.

The manual over ride to raise our jacks did not work.
I started thinking my pump was bad.
The pump can only be bought in a system assembly, not an individual part, $1800.
These are gear pumps, take a lot to destroy one, you would have to have a lot of dirt, debris, trash run through it to hurt one.

The motor, being 12V, is easily removed, just use a marker for orientation and tape label the wiring for where it connects, and note there is a coupling piece between the motor and pump.
There are replacement motors available, ours worked good.
Jumper it from a battery to test, noting the positive and negative poles, connected correctly.

The system:
There is a solenoid valve to each jacking cylinder controlling flow to the blind end of the cylinder.
There is a set screw to manually hold one open that a 5/32" Allen wrench turns it.
There is a directional valve so the motor does not reverse to change flow directions.
There is also a pressure switch.
All those components can be found to be replaced.
You remove the electro magnet from the end, then with a deep well socket (7/8"), you can take them out.
If any of these stick, or do not function properly, they need replaced, you cannot clean them out and make them reliable.

Here we go,
Using the control panel in manual mode, here is how I can explain, what happens.
Whichever side, or end, you choose to extend, both jacks for chosen work together.
All solenoid functions react from the control pad, the "brain".

Deploying, raising the RV, the solenoid valves pertaining to the jacks chosen, open.
The directional valve initiates to allow a change of flow to the blind end of the cylinders.
The motor spins the pump, sending the fluid to the blind end of the cylinders.
The jacks extend and stop when you let go of the button, or with the level sensors signal when in auto level.
When you stop, all signals to the solenoid and directional valve cease.

The system is set up for jack retraction in an idle state, except all the solenoid valves are held closed, in their normal position.
When retracting the jacks, or setting the RV back down by raising the jacks up:
If you hold the button in manual mode, the solenoids to each jack receive a signal to open, to allow fluid flow back to reservoir, the directional valve gets no signal remaining in its set, normal position.
The motor spins the pump sending fluid to the rod end of each jacking cylinder.
Once they are all raised, fluid pressure will spike, as it now has nowhere to go, the pressure switch reads this, and signals the control pad.
You get a jacks are up message, or it stops the system in auto mode.

There are also two pressure relief valves, built into the manifold, one for each flow direction.
These are to protect the system when pressure spikes.
They have a flat screwdriver slot and are near flush with the side of the manifold they are located on.
If backed out too far, you may not get good working pressure, to either lift the RV, or initiate a signal from the pressure switch when retracting.
It is just a spring over a ball check you adjust the spring pressure.
Just do not bottom out the setting, this will eliminate its function.

Our problem was the directional valve stuck in a half way mode.
The system never produced flow.
Taking it out, there is mfr info and a part number, Google search, smile.
Found the part from an industrial supply store that also deals with hydraulic components. $40 part!

It took a week or so, using free time here and there, to figure it out for us.

I am not claiming to be an expert on these RV systems.
If anyone feels I left something out, or something in error, I am open for that.
This is how I understand what is happening on our Lippert LCI Level Up hydraulic leveling system.

I just hope anyone can follow my analogy, and maybe it will help them, to troubleshoot your problem that may be beyond a control pad reset.
Have a nice day.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The motors can be purchased new for $700 - $800 or refurbished for under $500 if needed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Wonder if the OP got this working and what it ended up being.

I have a similar problem and just posted on the iRV2 site.

BTW - 10scDust, GREAT OVERVIEW. I will be using that in some of my diagnostics.

I posed a question on the site asking opinions on putting caps on the two retraction lines to eliminate the jacks as a possible problem.
Wanted to see if folks thought this was as bad an idea as the LCI guy thought it was. (With no real explanation other than "there is too much pressure") The caps I bought are rated at 6,000 PSI.

When I get the "jacks down" light, the pump comes on.

Done so far...
Topped off fluid.
Disconnected sensor wire, problem goes away.
Replaced sensor, still no joy.

Other background...
The jacks never seem to drift down.
1st LCI guy thought a jack might have a leak from the retraction side to the
"blind side" I believe you called it?

Thank god I have this to work on stuck at home
Thanks!!
gordon
Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
my coach, the 2014 Thor PALAZZO diesel pusher, and the Lippert 'Level Up' hydraulic levelers, requires the Air Brakes to be engaged, or else the ALERT ALARM will suddenly come on, LOUDLY, of course, the the Levelers will actually RETRACT all by themselves, as a safety measure...

what I've learned is that it's actually EASIER and QUICKER to let this happen, versus going into the system, turning it ON, pressing the 'Retract All' button and waiting for it all to happen...but that's just me, especially if you are prepared for the 'loud' alarm!

One thing I HAVE noticed, though, in over 100,000 miles of travel in this coach, is that on several occasions over 5 years time I've seen the Level Up panel COME ON, while driving! It says 'Jacks Down' for a moment, but then goes off just as quickly, with a little 'alert' beeping as well.
The first time, it certainly sent me searching! But, I found nothing that would be the root of the problem. I gave up trying to find out, since the next several trips went without any such trip up.
When it happened again, I assumed that the system was only responding to a 'slightly' lower jack, through it's position sensor, and 'retracted' it, as it is programmed to. Nice.

I now view this anomaly as a 'sometimes it happens every now and then, don't fret it' situation, and let it do it's thang.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
my coach, the 2014 Thor PALAZZO diesel pusher, and the Lippert 'Level Up' hydraulic levelers, requires the Air Brakes to be engaged, or else the ALERT ALARM will suddenly come on, LOUDLY, of course, the the Levelers will actually RETRACT all by themselves, as a safety measure...

what I've learned is that it's actually EASIER and QUICKER to let this happen, versus going into the system, turning it ON, pressing the 'Retract All' button and waiting for it all to happen...but that's just me, especially if you are prepared for the 'loud' alarm!

One thing I HAVE noticed, though, in over 100,000 miles of travel in this coach, is that on several occasions over 5 years time I've seen the Level Up panel COME ON, while driving! It says 'Jacks Down' for a moment, but then goes off just as quickly, with a little 'alert' beeping as well.
The first time, it certainly sent me searching! But, I found nothing that would be the root of the problem. I gave up trying to find out, since the next several trips went without any such trip up.
When it happened again, I assumed that the system was only responding to a 'slightly' lower jack, through it's position sensor, and 'retracted' it, as it is programmed to. Nice.

I now view this anomaly as a 'sometimes it happens every now and then, don't fret it' situation, and let it do it's thang.
didn't really occur to me that I might just disconnect this each time it is up and call this normal for this rig. Something to consider for saving $1,800.

It is happening everytime I pull the jacks up.
BTW - The jacks come up normally and stop. Pump stops, no alarm. As soon as I release the parking brake, Alarm comes on, pump starts. Won't stop. As I type this, it sounds like a logic problem. Maybe I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned this to the LCI guy.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

you are not alone, my panel has done this maybe 3 or 4 times and yes it catches your attention. i found out by accident once that the jacks will auto retract if coach is put in gear and parking brake is released. we were parked in a bad spot and had to place many 2x12s under the jacks all the way across and under wheels to stop sinking, once i got her all aired up and ready to go i forgot to retract jacks. as soon as parking brake released all hell brook loose and the came up
Old 04-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I had a similar issue after picking my 2018 Outlaw 29H from the dealer after service early last spring.

First problem was the 100A breaker under the rig next to the battery box was tripped and kept tripping occasionally.

Then I found that I was getting a Jacks Down error even when the levelers were all the way up.

When doing an Auto Retract the pump would keep running until it tripped the 100A breaker..... leading to a low voltage alarm.

After a bunch of troubleshooting, I ordered a new pressure switch from Amazon because I didn’t want to drive 5 hours back to the dealer. That solved my problem.

Turns out the pressure switch was not sensing the pressure buildup when the jacks were retracted to trip the switch and shut off the pump. It’s been working just fine since.... and I wrote Thor and they reimbursed me for the part.