Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #3459
How odd. Elsewhere on the Ford site, it says the 6.8 w/ 6-spd is standard:
2016 Ford Stripped Chassis E-450 DRW | See All The Stripped Chassis E-450 DRW Highlights | Ford.com

Check the "Power and Handlling" tab

Sounds like running the VIN on the particular unit is probably the best way to know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1266  

Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Do you expect to see any new models or floorplans? I'm not that familiar with the Tampa show or what's expected, but it sounds like it may be bigger than the Houston show next month.

I'm in Florida and would make an effort to get to Tampa show if I thought there was going to be a greater selection of smaller Class As.
I got to do a preview yesterday and they have every Axis model, every Ace model (including the only ACE 27.2 in the US that I can find), the Georgetown 270s, Winnebago 27n, etc. And you are a couple miles from Lazy Days and Camping World Tampa that have hundreds of more RVs. I know Hershey is a lot bigger, but I don't think there is a bigger show on the East Coast after the Hershey show. I got to see a Fleetwood Storm at Lazy Days and hope there is a Newmar Baystar at the show. That will about exhaust my list of Class A's under 30'.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #23

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason977 View Post
How odd. Elsewhere on the Ford site, it says the 6.8 w/ 6-spd is standard:
2016 Ford Stripped Chassis E-450 DRW | See All The Stripped Chassis E-450 DRW Highlights | Ford.com

Check the "Power and Handlling" tab

Sounds like running the VIN on the particular unit is probably the best way to know for sure.
The 6 speed is standard on all 2016 Ford RV chassis. But just because the RV is listed as a 2016 does not mean it is on a 2016 chassis. And while the 2016 Ford chassis has been out since August or September, there are still F-53 2015 chassis' on Ford dealer lots today. (I did not check E-350/450 chassis') The 2016's are $500-$1000 more expensive than 2015's, so some manufactures buy the old rather than the new.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #24

THOR #2121
Ford doesn't update specs accurately. If you notice in the following, they removed the 5.4L V8 from the list of available engines, but left their HP and torque ratings which are no longer applicable.

2016 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Full Specification Library | Ford.com

Regardless, it only shows the 6-speed transmission.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I got to do a preview yesterday and they have every Axis model, every Ace model (including the only ACE 27.2 in the US that I can find), the Georgetown 270s, Winnebago 27n, etc. And you are a couple miles from Lazy Days and Camping World Tampa that have hundreds of more RVs. I know Hershey is a lot bigger, but I don't think there is a bigger show on the East Coast after the Hershey show. I got to see a Fleetwood Storm at Lazy Days and hope there is a Newmar Baystar at the show. That will about exhaust my list of Class A's under 30'.
Thanks, I'm going to check these models/floorplans out, and hope I can make arrangements to attend. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #26

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Just checked Ford's site again. for 2016, the V10 with 6 speed is standard on the F53 and the E series cutaway chassis (Class C). The V10 with 5 speed is standard with the 6 speed optional on the 2016 stripped chassis.

The Axis Vegas uses the stripped and not the cutaway chassis.

Here is the link for the stripped chassis specs.

2016 Ford Stripped Chassis Commercial Trucks | Stripped Chassis Super Duty, E-350, E-450, F-53 & F-59 Commercial Trucks | Ford.com

Here is the link for the cutaway chassis specs

2016 E-Series Cutaway | Explore Available Packages for E-350 & E-450 Models | Ford.com
Yes, you are right. When you look at the general info on stripped chassis is does not mention the 5 Spd transmission, but when you look at the E-350/450 specifically it says that the 6spd is optional. I also checked the manual and it says 5 with 6 optional. I have only been looking at the F-53 chassis. I wonder if Thor is still using the 5 Spd? I came close to trading in my 2014 Vegas to a 2016 Axis with a 2016 Ford Chassis. I now wonder if it had a 5 Spd transmission rather than a 6? I will have to look at the RV show tomorrow and see if the shift lever display is different and see if I can tell if the new Axis is a 6 Spd. Discussions on the forum seem to indicate that people have a 2016 Vegas/Axis with 6 spds?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #27

THOR #1765
Quote:
Yes, you are right. When you look at the general info on stripped chassis is does not mention the 5 Spd transmission, but when you look at the E-350/450 specifically it says that the 6spd is optional. I also checked the manual and it says 5 with 6 optional. I have only been looking at the F-53 chassis. I wonder if Thor is still using the 5 Spd? I came close to trading in my 2014 Vegas to a 2016 Axis with a 2016 Ford Chassis. I now wonder if it had a 5 Spd transmission rather than a 6? I will have to look at the RV show tomorrow and see if the shift lever display is different and see if I can tell if the new Axis is a 6 Spd. Discussions on the forum seem to indicate that people have a 2016 Vegas/Axis with 6 spds?

2016 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com
When you look at the E-350/450 stripped chassis specifications, it does not even mention the 5 Spd. I am not sure what to believe.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #28

THOR #1765
Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to check these models/floorplans out, and hope I can make arrangements to attend. Thanks again.
Two other Class A under 30' that I did not mention and have not seen are the Coachman Pursuit and Jayco Alante 26X. I hope to see both at the show, however they only have dinettes and no coaches.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:13 AM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Two other Class A under 30' that I did not mention and have not seen are the Coachman Pursuit and Jayco Alante 26X. I hope to see both at the show, however they only have dinettes and no coaches.
The floor plan for the Jayco 26X shows a dinette and couch as well as a walk around queen bed in a single slide Class A. The Jayco 26Y shows a dinette without a couch.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:55 AM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Thanks again for the suggestions. They may all be under 30-ft in length, but appear to be in a completely different class than the Axis/Vegas. While shorter than many Class As today, specs show most if not all are wide body, fairly tall, fairly heavy due to abundant use of slides, and built on relatively short wheelbase F53 chassis. Pretty much everything an Axis/Vegas is not.

I keep hoping that someone will build a simple compact Class A that's like a super-sized Class B on steroids, but the trend is going in the opposite direction. For now the Axis/Vegas is the closest fit to what we are looking for. If we get to the Tampa or Houston show we will also look at a few Cs. There seem to be more choices in the 23- to 26-ft range.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #31

THOR #1765
Quote:
Thanks again for the suggestions. They may all be under 30-ft in length, but appear to be in a completely different class than the Axis/Vegas. While shorter than many Class As today, specs show most if not all are wide body, fairly tall, fairly heavy due to abundant use of slides, and built on relatively short wheelbase F53 chassis. Pretty much everything an Axis/Vegas is not.

I keep hoping that someone will build a simple compact Class A that's like a super-sized Class B on steroids, but the trend is going in the opposite direction. For now the Axis/Vegas is the closest fit to what we are looking for. If we get to the Tampa or Houston show we will also look at a few Cs. There seem to be more choices in the 23- to 26-ft range.
There are Class action choices in the 23-26' range. We looked at quite a few over the past two days, especially liked some of the Winnebagos. However, once you have had a Vegas they all seem very small.

The F-53 based small Class A's are 10" wider, but they are no taller than the Vegas. The wheel base is 158" and it may affect the ride some, but the wider wheel base should be better. While the 178" wheel base in the Vegas is a positive, the fact that they mucked with the Ford chassis and installed a different drive shaft definitely is not. The Georgetown 270s that I am looking hard at, has a single slide, but it it a big one. I am hoping that the new 6spd transmission will provide enough of a difference Mpg wise. We have not decided anything and will go to the show today and look at everything we can. We still like our Vegas about as well as anything we have seen.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #32

THOR #1765
Quote:
The floor plan for the Jayco 26X shows a dinette and couch as well as a walk around queen bed in a single slide Class A. The Jayco 26Y shows a dinette without a couch.
Right, the Jayco has both in a 27'er. I have not looked at it yet, but I have the feeling it will be too cramped. The new ACE 27.2 also has both and a king bed in a slide in the back. However, the king folds when the slide is in so you have to extend the slide to sleep and it does not look good in. It is 28'10".
Old 01-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #33
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Right, the Jayco has both in a 27'er. I have not looked at it yet, but I have the feeling it will be too cramped. The new ACE 27.2 also has both and a king bed in a slide in the back. However, the king folds when the slide is in so you have to extend the slide to sleep and it does not look good in. It is 28'10".
Although the Jayco 27Y, I believe, shows the dinette it looks like they have the option to replace the dinette with the couch.

My prior Class C (28 foot) had the couch and dinette. It was nice because they were across from each other rather than side by side. The couch was in the living area slide and the dinette was stationary. The TV was on a swivel mount over the driver's compartment so it could be viewed from the couch, one side of the dinette or by someone using the overhead bunk.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut..... We have not decided anything and will go to the show today and look at everything we can. We still like our Vegas about as well as anything we have seen.
Oneilkeys, will you report back if you see any new and different/innovative motorhomes in that size range? I think last year Hymmer had a Class B on display (not sure if I recall right) and maybe they or some other Euro manufacturer will display a compact Class A. Perhaps other US manufacturers will start building Class As on E-350/450 as Thor also did.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #35

THOR #1765
Quote:
Although the Jayco 27Y, I believe, shows the dinette it looks like they have the option to replace the dinette with the couch.

My prior Class C (28 foot) had the couch and dinette. It was nice because they were across from each other rather than side by side. The couch was in the living area slide and the dinette was stationary. The TV was on a swivel mount over the driver's compartment so it could be viewed from the couch, one side of the dinette or by someone using the overhead bunk.
That is a nice setup because it keeps the kitchen and living area separate. That is hard to find in under 30' with a separate bed room too. The problem is crowding all that "stuff" in a small space. We really like the openness of the Vegas 24.1. The Georgetown with the couch seems to have the same "feel" because of the larger slide.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #36

THOR #1765
Quote:
Oneilkeys, will you report back if you see any new and different/innovative motorhomes in that size range? I think last year Hymmer had a Class B on display (not sure if I recall right) and maybe they or some other Euro manufacturer will display a compact Class A. Perhaps other US manufacturers will start building Class As on E-350/450 as Thor also did.
Will do. Off to the show.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #37
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
That is a nice setup because it keeps the kitchen and living area separate. That is hard to find in under 30' with a separate bed room too. The problem is crowding all that "stuff" in a small space. We really like the openness of the Vegas 24.1. The Georgetown with the couch seems to have the same "feel" because of the larger slide.
If interested my prior class C was a Forest River Sunseeker 2860. The Forester version is the 2861.

I had the outdoor kitchen and 4 door refrigerator so I did not have the pantry.

Here is the FP for your viewing pleasure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2860DS.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1268
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Be careful: Camper shows are dangerous! LOL (How do you think we ended up with the Axis? Much like Dave ended up with a new set of tires. )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #39

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
But Dave got a great deal on the tires -- they threw in a free motorhome!!!
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
If interested my prior class C was a Forest River Sunseeker 2860. The Forester version is the 2861.

I had the outdoor kitchen and 4 door refrigerator so I did not have the pantry.

Here is the FP for your viewing pleasure.

Attachment 1268
I thought I had seen just about everything offered in RVs, but the optional bunks above cab is new to me. Never seen the overhead arranged like that. I wonder what they mean by "stored" on floorplan. Do they open to longer than 62 inches? Even if not, great for smaller children.