Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Or I could be completely nuts! LOL (Given that Thor doesn't show it as available on the 24.1 and the dealer wouldn't get back to me...) Wouldn't be the first time...

Now I have to find one to look at, maybe this week, or if someone who owns a 2017 sees this: Do you have a jackknife couch or a hide-a-bed in your couch in your 24.1?
I went deep into the literature on the 24.1 ... the jacknife sofa is not available on the 24.1 .. per that info..however, I have noticed that they are lax in keeping it utd

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Agree the couch is shorter by a significant amount but the jacknife logic isn't sound as, since 2016, all 24.1s come with a jacknife sofa. (I even inquired with my dealer to see what it would cost to replace ours with the jackknife, but of course the dealer didn't ever get back to me on that.)

On the 2016's and newer the table storage is in the closet because the jacknife won't lay flat with the tables there.

In 2016 Thor got rid of all the air mattresses: The sofa became a jacknife and the drop down bunk added some depth so that a small (normal) mattress could stay up there (they added like 2" or 3").
Just looked at current specs and it still shows a jackknife couch only for the 25.2 floorplan.

Specs also describe the new 25.5 couch the same as that of 24.1.

I stand by my observation. If you put a jackknife couch in the 24.1 slide, it will be too short for adults. In that sense it's comparing apples and oranges. My point was that a 24.1 without a slide would have enough room for a standard length jackknife couch suited for adults.

For what it's worth, the very latest Thor floorplans still show a couch that is very different than a jackknife couch on 24.1. The back of couch appears much thicker. I'll have to look at one next time I visit Camping World.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	3058  
Old 09-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Oh yeah it would be too short lengthwise for most adults.

That is another thing some extra length would give you on the 24.1: Lengthen the couch and increase the bathroom size.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Wow a 24.1 with a bigger bathroom in the very rear. Nice...might have to upgrade.... !

Only problem is: What if the two twins are made up as a big bed and the person sleeping in the very front of the coach needs to use the restroom (at least in the 24.1 they still can without having to crawl over the sleepers).

There always seems to be some compromise !

Note that they all come with a tankless water heater...nice.
I thought the same thing. Wont work for me.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #25

THOR #2121
The 25.5 floorplan looked familiar to me but I couldn't place it at first. It's actually very similar to one of the Winnebago Fuse floorplans, except a little larger.

It must be a new trend in layouts because Winnebago also uses this arrangement on a Class B.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	3063  
Old 09-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #26
vkb

THOR #3510
re-design of NEW 25.5 floorplan

Today, with obviously too much time on my hands...I redisigned that
NEW floorplan which was posted last week. None of us seemed to like it .. so, here is my version of that floorplan...realizing that the 25.5 is about 27' long.

Name:	floorplan Thor.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	3073

to enlarge click on attachment
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Today, with obviously too much time on my hands...I redisigned that
NEW floorplan which was posted last week. None of us seemed to like it .. so, here is my version of that floorplan...realizing that the 25.5 is about 27' long.
LOL Love it.

Another option there would be to swap the shower & the pantry/fridge. If the shower was across from the sink and the toilet you could still use the double door arrangement of the current 24.1 to block off both the closet and the shower while still allowing access to the pantry & refer. (Leaving the pantry/fridge out of the slide.) Of course that would mean the grey drain from the shower would have to come across the coach (but then the kitchen sink does as well--they could probably be joined up and then across). Even better: put the pantry in the slide leaving the refer opposite it and the shower in-between the refer and the closet....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
My 2 cents

Not a fan of that floor plan for a couple of reasons:
1. reaching over a toilet to access the closet.
2. folding partition.... I hate them.
I suppose people with kidlets would appreciate the twin beds in back, but, as stated by others, converting to a king while camping with more than just one loving couple would make things awkward when nature calls.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #29
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
LOL Love it.

Another option there would be to swap the shower & the pantry/fridge. If the shower was across from the sink and the toilet you could still use the double door arrangement of the current 24.1 to block off both the closet and the shower while still allowing access to the pantry & refer. (Leaving the pantry/fridge out of the slide.) Of course that would mean the grey drain from the shower would have to come across the coach (but then the kitchen sink does as well--they could probably be joined up and then across). Even better: put the pantry in the slide leaving the refer opposite it and the shower in-between the refer and the closet....
You're correct Jamie ! There are several different options, keeping the bathroom away from the tail end of the coach...
For sure, some do not like the twin beds in the rear..and there could be options there as well... too much fun !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #30

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
[QUOTE=RobertK;46732]I was thinking on buying a 25.2 and was looking at the Thor Document Archive. I was reading the 2017 flyer when I did a refresh a second flyer appeared: OCT-2016.

I was locked in on the 25.2. Now Thor gives me more choices.

New floorplan 25.5 and a now come with tank-less hot water heater. Tankless is nice addition.

Robert

25.3 has more closet & drawers space - I love the Bathroom size and design. Wife did not like the folding mattress for slide but we have a gel pad and it takes less then two minutes to make bed now. Like the addition of tank-less hot water.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #31

THOR #2121
Anyone seen pictures of this new floorplan yet?

I'm curious to see how they modify/arrange the twin beds for seating. Since there can be a table between the beds, I assume the lines on floorplan over beds are some type of removable backrest for seating. Would it be cushions or more than that?

As mentioned before, I've always wondered why they didn't offer capability to move a table between the beds on 24.1. Would seem like a natural feature to include. A second lounge area could be very useful.

By the way, anyone notice brand new specs still show all Axis on 12,500 GVWR chassis with 18,500 GCWR? Either Thor is really bad with specs or they are planning to eventually go back to E-350.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #32
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

As mentioned before, I've always wondered why they didn't offer capability to move a table between the beds on 24.1. Would seem like a natural feature to include. A second lounge area could be very useful.
Chance ... the table idea between the beds does sound like a good idea...
however...that space between the beds is...18" .. would have to be a real skinny table...with tall legs as those beds sit taller than the couch.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #33

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Chance ... the table idea between the beds does sound like a good idea...
however...that space between the beds is...18" .. would have to be a real skinny table...with tall legs as those beds sit taller than the couch.

K
It looks to me like on the 25.5 they may mean to use the same table they use in front of the couch. On 25.5 the table may also serve to convert twin beds to King, so it may have to be of correct width to fit between the narrower beds.

A similar option on 24.1 would not limit table size since it can cantilever over beds. I've seen that a lot on some Class Bs. Table size if done on 24.1 may be an issue in that table that sits in front of couch is probably too long because of the night table between twin beds. Still, you could use the smaller front table, or have a third smaller dedicated table. Or as one owner on this forum cleverly did, they could split the large couch table into two smaller ones so that one of them could be moved to bedroom as needed.

These are all minor details that a designer could work out. It's not rocket science.

If I were doing this as an upgrade/modification, it would be the backrest that would be difficult for me to design. It would have to be comfortable, in right position, easily removable, easy to store, not too heavy or bulky, etc... That's why I'm interested to see what if anything they came up with. If it's just an extra cushion or two like on a day bed, I'm going to be disappointed.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #34
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It looks to me like on the 25.5 they may mean to use the same table they use in front of the couch. On 25.5 the table may also serve to convert twin beds to King, so it may have to be of correct width to fit between the narrower beds.

A similar option on 24.1 would not limit table size since it can cantilever over beds. I've seen that a lot on some Class Bs. Table size if done on 24.1 may be an issue in that table that sits in front of couch is probably too long because of the night table between twin beds. Still, you could use the smaller front table, or have a third smaller dedicated table. Or as one owner on this forum cleverly did, they could split the large couch table into two smaller ones so that one of them could be moved to bedroom as needed.

These are all minor details that a designer could work out. It's not rocket science.

If I were doing this as an upgrade/modification, it would be the backrest that would be difficult for me to design. It would have to be comfortable, in right position, easily removable, easy to store, not too heavy or bulky, etc... That's why I'm interested to see what if anything they came up with. If it's just an extra cushion or two like on a day bed, I'm going to be disappointed.
There are definately all kinds of options with that bedrrom if a person needs the space...for 2 people it is pretty near perfect .. and having the night table between the beds is good for tablets, water bottles, tissues etc.
In the evening if one or the other of us reclines, we use extra pillows..or the oversize decorative pillows which come with the 24.1 to fill in space for decent backrest. Many ways to be comfortable back there with a bit of innovation.

Don't ya love brainstorming !!!? This is the way we come up with solutions !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #35

THOR #2121
This site has first pictures I've found of 25.5 floorplan. Although I would not buy this floorplan, it isn't as bad as I first thought -- provided the center bed didn't get converted to a king too often.

From pictures I still can't tell much detail about how they have the backrest supported away from walls.

2017 Thor Vegas 25.5, Gilroy CA - - RVtrader.com

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	3165  
Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #36

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i am glad i have a 2016 25-2
Old 11-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #37

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
i am glad i have a 2016 25-2

X2 about the 25.2. None of the other configurations fit us as well.

Gotta give Thor credit for reaching out with innovation. The old axiom "There's a butt for every seat' may or may not prove true with this one.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #38

THOR #2121
Innovation in the 25.5 floorplan?
Old 11-18-2016, 01:53 AM   #39

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
OK, maybe innovation wasn't the best word. Good that the company is offering floorplan choices. Sorry they don't seem to come out with the one you want, Chance!
Old 11-18-2016, 02:35 AM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
OK, maybe innovation wasn't the best word. Good that the company is offering floorplan choices. Sorry they don't seem to come out with the one you want, Chance!
Thanks Mr Sunshine. Appreciate it.

I'm actually encouraged; but unfortunately for the wrong reason. I've been reading reports where the industry is in a slight decline, and that larger and more expensive motorhomes (and trailers) are moving slower than smaller and lower-cost motorhomes. Price point seems to be the focus now.

CEOs, like Thor's, are also making statements about the need for smaller, lower-cost, and fuel efficient RVs.

I'm hoping (again this year) that something new comes up that I like. The Hymer Activ Class B is something I want to see in person, and since they are coming out with an extended version, I'm really looking forward to checking it out. The downside is that it's more expensive and much smaller than an Axis. But it has a few pros going for it. RAM also hasn't replaced the antique transmission in the ProMaster. That's a tough one for me to accept.