Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alaska
THOR #4811
New 2017 AXis/Vegas floorplan for OCT-2016 (25.5)

I was thinking on buying a 25.2 and was looking at the Thor Document Archive. I was reading the 2017 flyer when I did a refresh a second flyer appeared: OCT-2016.

I was locked in on the 25.2. Now Thor gives me more choices.

New floorplan 25.5 and a now come with tank-less hot water heater.

Robert

https://thormotorcoach.com/document-...&model_year=26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axis=Vegas Oct-2016 flyer Extract 25.5.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	3051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axis=Vegas Oct-2016 flyer Extract specs.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	3052  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017-Axis-Brochure-10-2016.pdf (1.14 MB, 1297 views)

Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow a 24.1 with a bigger bathroom in the very rear. Nice...might have to upgrade.... !

Only problem is: What if the two twins are made up as a big bed and the person sleeping in the very front of the coach needs to use the restroom (at least in the 24.1 they still can without having to crawl over the sleepers).

There always seems to be some compromise !

Note that they all come with a tankless water heater...nice.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I'm not a big fan of having the fridge on a slide-out.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow a 24.1 with a bigger bathroom in the very rear. Nice...might have to upgrade.... !

Only problem is: What if the two twins are made up as a big bed and the person sleeping in the very front of the coach needs to use the restroom (at least in the 24.1 they still can without having to crawl over the sleepers).

There always seems to be some compromise !

Note that they all come with a tankless water heater...nice.
"Only problem"?

That is a huge design compromise -- more common on Class Bs which typically only have two occupants. And even when not made up as a King bed, others have to pass through bedroom to get to bathroom -- leads to much less privacy. And the beds are narrower than on your 24.1 (although for us that wouldn't be an issue).

Obviously the bathroom is bigger than on the 24.1, but the motorhome is also 1-1/2 feet longer. If you stretch the basic 24.1 from 25'-6" to 27'-0" the bathroom could be made much larger.

Also note the limited amount of kitchen counter space. It's worse than most models. And exterior storage is barely half as much as on a 24.1. I was hoping for larger version of 24.1 and this is not it.

The only thing that looks promising to me (will have to see in pictures or in person before deciding) is the use of beds as possible lounge area. I would first like to see how backrests are done, supported, stored, etc. But even with that feature they could have done the same while leaving beds at rear like on 24.1.

I had been waiting for a new floorplan and this just went in the wrong direction for us. It's really disappointing.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I agree with Chance. I would have preferred letting the 24.1 layout the same as the original and just applying the foot and a half increase in length to the shower area. On the other side of the hall that same I crease could have added a slide out pantry and increased tbe size of the wardrobe. And I would prefer a gas/120 VAC water heater like I have rather than the gas only on demand.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We agree with you all ... if the 24.1 is a foot longer...add that foot to the existing bathroom and give use a pantry or larger closet...
bathroom in rear is not functional for most, when the twin beds are in the path.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #7

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I agree with the negative comments. The other negative is the loss of the rear thru storage space and the placement of the closet behind the commode. In our six week trip this summer I bet there were 10 places that we camped or parked that said under 25'. If you go to 27' it opens up the ACE and other options. With the 25.5 you really do not have the king bed option and the fridge in the slide is a definite show stopper for me. I am always kind of nervous with the slide anyway (although I love the spaciousness it provides and I would not trade it). The larger couch is a plus.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:50 AM   #8

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
I see they haven't changed the wheelbase on the 25.2 compared to the rest of the new AXIS/VEGAS, I like the extra wheelbase not as much tail overhang.
2017 Model 24.1 25.2 25.3 25.4 25.5
Wheelbase 188" 194" 188" 188" 188"
--------------25'6. 26'6 26'6 27' 27'
Old 09-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
....cut.... With the 25.5 you really do not have the king bed option and the fridge in the slide is a definite show stopper for me. I am always kind of nervous with the slide anyway (although I love the spaciousness it provides and I would not trade it). The larger couch is a plus.
I agree that if we were going to have a slide, I'd want it kept as simple as possible. I would not want to complicate function even more by installing a fridge, or plumbing, etc. as part of the slide.

Regarding spaciousness, I think that depends on personal likes and needs. Below living/kitchen area feels plenty spacious to us:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	279
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	3054  
Old 09-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #10

THOR #2121
By comparison this similar motorhome with slide seems more cramped -- less spacious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	214
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	3055  
Old 09-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
By comparison this similar motorhome with slide seems more cramped -- less spacious.
You are correct, Chance...however, behind our couch is storage for the tables/legs, etc. If that were not there, and the couch went back to the window, we would have about 6" more LR space. As much as we enjoy having the slide out, we have had a couple opportunities where we have not run it out.
No problem.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
You are correct, Chance...however, behind our couch is storage for the tables/legs, etc. If that were not there, and the couch went back to the window, we would have about 6" more LR space. As much as we enjoy having the slide out, we have had a couple opportunities where we have not run it out.
No problem.
Doesn't your couch have to be different because of the slide? Isn't that why it sits farther from wall?

My point was only that "space" is relative. If we cherry pick the extra space provided by the slide, then it's all to the good. I get that. But it's not all positive. One example is that overhead cabinets are much shorter in length and not as tall with the slide.

Although I understand their reasoning, I'm personally disappointed that with all the floorplans they have come up with, they haven't even tried one without a slide. I get it -- just don't like it.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Getting back to new floorplan, it will be interesting to see where they install the holding tanks.

With bath in rear I expect at least black tank near the very back, and since this unit has 18" longer overhang than 24.1, it will be interesting to see if driving with full waste tanks affects handling and stability.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Doesn't your couch have to be different because of the slide? Isn't that why it sits farther from wall?
Nope, the couch sits further from the wall because of the table storage. There really is no reason it couldn't be right up against the wall without the storage. There is no slide mechanism or wiring behind there (for the Schwintek slides all the "mechanism" is in the non-moving walls and the racks mounted on the slide--this is probably why Thor likes this mechanism as it takes up very little room). The slide itself is basically a big "cup".

Ours has a 12V light and a couple of 120V outlets in the slide and you can see where the wire is on the back side of the slide (below the couch). They left plenty of wire and room for it to move around when the slide moves--I don't see having a problem with that ever.

This video shows you how little there is to the Schwintek system (and probably why its not suited for a full-wall side!):
Old 09-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Nope, the couch sits further from the wall because of the table storage. There really is no reason it couldn't be right up against the wall without the storage. There is no slide mechanism or wiring behind there (for the Schwintek slides all the "mechanism" is in the non-moving walls and the racks mounted on the slide--this is probably why Thor likes this mechanism as it takes up very little room). The slide itself is basically a big "cup".

Ours has a 12V light and a couple of 120V outlets in the slide and you can see where the wire is on the back side of the slide (below the couch). They left plenty of wire and room for it to move around when the slide moves--I don't see having a problem with that ever.

This video shows you how little there is to the Schwintek system (and probably why its not suited for a full-wall side!):
Jamie, I was not referring to the slide or slide mechanism itself in any way. I often hate writing a page-long post but when I don't the meaning doesn't come across as intended. My bad -- wish I could write clearer.

I was referring to the fact that because the 24.1 has a slide, the couch is much shorter because the end walls subtract almost a foot from available length. Without a slide the couch is a jackknife that allows sleeping lengthwise in motorhome, whereas with 24.1 Thor uses a completely different couch that opens across the motorhome to sleep transversely (which causes another "space" compromise I won't get into).

My question remains about the couch itself because as I recall when it is open to sleep, it extends fairly close to wall. Or it needs the clearance to open. Perhaps they have changed it or I don't recall correctly.

Regarding couch being 6 inches farther from wall just to store a table, that would seem very inefficient use of space.

The only time I looked at a 24.1 couch closely was with eye towards replacing it with a dinette, so I didn't pay enough attention to other details. I need forward facing seats so a couch won't work for us regardless.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I was referring to the fact that because the 24.1 has a slide, the couch is much shorter because the end walls subtract almost a foot from available length. Without a slide the couch is a jackknife that allows sleeping lengthwise in motorhome, whereas with 24.1 Thor uses a completely different couch that opens across the motorhome to sleep transversely (which causes another "space" compromise I won't get into).
Agree the couch is shorter by a significant amount but the jacknife logic isn't sound as, since 2016, all 24.1s come with a jacknife sofa. (I even inquired with my dealer to see what it would cost to replace ours with the jackknife, but of course the dealer didn't ever get back to me on that.)

On the 2016's and newer the table storage is in the closet because the jacknife won't lay flat with the tables there.

In 2016 Thor got rid of all the air mattresses: The sofa became a jacknife and the drop down bunk added some depth so that a small (normal) mattress could stay up there (they added like 2" or 3").
Old 09-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Agree the couch is shorter by a significant amount but the jacknife logic isn't sound as, since 2016, all 24.1s come with a jacknife sofa. (I even inquired with my dealer to see what it would cost to replace ours with the jackknife, but of course the dealer didn't ever get back to me on that.)

On the 2016's and newer the table storage is in the closet because the jacknife won't lay flat with the tables there.

In 2016 Thor got rid of all the air mattresses: The sofa became a jacknife and the drop down bunk added some depth so that a small (normal) mattress could stay up there (they added like 2" or 3").
Jamie...our Oct.2015 build of 2016 model, stores the tables/legs behind the sofa.
I believe the 2017 changed the storage area for those.
Ya know Doc changed out his sofa for 2 recliners.
For us, the couch being a hide-a-bed is no issue, since we have the overhead bed if the kids want to come along with us (they are all the age where that isn't going to happen in all probability !)
So, we are back to the reason we all choose what works best for us !
The 24.1 is perfect for us. We, occasionally, use the tables as we have a nifty folding table we put in front of the couch. When we entertain, we bring out the tables and turn the front seats around. (in poor weather)
We like being outdoors most of the time, and use the awning/outside TV for watching games and have a clip on fan which we attach to the TV door to move the air when there is no breeze.
So, the subject is mostly sleeping arrangements.

My 2 cents worth....again !! ha !
K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Jamie...our Oct.2015 build of 2016 model, stores the tables/legs behind the sofa.
That could have been one of those "running changes" that Thor likes to make ("Hey we're out of the hide-a-bed couch!" "Ok just build it with those jacknifes over there; we'll have marketing change all the literature").

Interesting that the jack-knife isn't listed on the 24.1 on the web page. It was there back in the spring when I talked with my dealer...

In all honesty I'd like to put the recliners in like DocMike did, but we'd lose a seatbelt spot and thus go from 5 to 4 in capacity while on the road. Can't do that as long as the boy continues to bring friends along (when we bring 5 the kids sleep in a tent next to the camper ).
Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
That could have been one of those "running changes" that Thor likes to make ("Hey we're out of the hide-a-bed couch!" "Ok just build it with those jacknifes over there; we'll have marketing change all the literature").

Interesting that the jack-knife isn't listed on the 24.1 on the web page. It was there back in the spring when I talked with my dealer...

In all honesty I'd like to put the recliners in like DocMike did, but we'd lose a seatbelt spot and thus go from 5 to 4 in capacity while on the road. Can't do that as long as the boy continues to bring friends along (when we bring 5 the kids sleep in a tent next to the camper ).
Interesting theory on jacknife...we had one in our Dorado as well as a hide-a-bed...I slept on that jacknife ONCE !!! ugh ! The Dorado had opposing slides..the living area was awesome...main bed was hide-a-bed .. the original owners literally broke down the bed on one side...Ron had to create a solid system to support the new mattress we bought !
That motorhome had a little over 8k on it when we bought it..other than the bed, it was awesome !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Or I could be completely nuts! LOL (Given that Thor doesn't show it as available on the 24.1 and the dealer wouldn't get back to me...) Wouldn't be the first time...

Now I have to find one to look at, maybe this week, or if someone who owns a 2017 sees this: Do you have a jackknife couch or a hide-a-bed in your couch in your 24.1?