Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
Thanks JamieGeek!
The forum should truly get a commission!! when I buy the behemoth (or whatever I name it)

Very helpful!
That's why I felt less intimidated driving I guess and can move up in size to this axis. The true class a would be a no go for my doctor parking lot runs.
Sales last Sat said the 27.7 axis with two slides proving very popular.
up in wheelbase to like 194 etc which is out
Yeah what you said taller and longer

JamieGeek, how did you embed the Thor video? I tried to embed a YouTube and didn't get it done.
Embedding youtube videos is easy: just paste the link and the forums does the rest (it has to be the "long" link and no query parameters (like &t=6)).

Its easiest on a computer in a browser. You can get the long link by viewing the video on a tab and then copy/pasting that link.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #22

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
Chance,
I agree w/ you- I don't really understand why you would get these larger RUV's over getting a small F-53 class A.... Prices, sizes are about the same, but you get a more robust chassis with A class.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Chance,
I agree w/ you- I don't really understand why you would get these larger RUV's over getting a small F-53 class A.... Prices, sizes are about the same, but you get a more robust chassis with A class.
Lazinskm
Doesn't the RUV have a shorter wheelbase and tighter turn radius?
Shorter overall?
Plus my ability to service at more spots than the 550 engine?
I'm a noob just trying to get a manageable in heavy traffic vehicle so correct me if I'm wrong as far as pluses for me

Thanks Jamie Geek
Very understandable explanation
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
The axis actually has a longer wheelbase- I do not know about the turning radius, they don't post that info on that or width- you probably can find some documentation on the ford chassis site. As for working on it- I found one Jiffy Lube that will do my oil changes on the E450, I think lots of people have found that having them worked on at "normal" establishments is difficult. Really it seems that motor maintenance on an RV is at the bottom of the repair list....
Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The Axis/Vegas units do have a longer wheelbase and no modifications are done to the front end to increase the angle the wheels turn thus it will have a slightly larger turn radius than a comparable Class C.

Driving ours around I've found that it is quite maneuverable regardless.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #26

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Chance,

Sorry for delay in getting back — was traveling by air.

Considering that initial cost and fuel economy of larger RUVs is very similar to comparable-size Class As on F-53 chassis, I’m not sure there is much incentive to go with a RUV from my perspective. However, there are some advantages, like lower floor which should make getting in and out easier as we get older, and may also help older pets.

Axis/Vegas RUVs also have 16” wheels and tires which are cheaper to replace, stocked at more tire locations, and weigh less if you’re the type to change a flat yourself (I am).

Another advantage is that E-Series chassis has independent front suspension which we’d have to think rides and handles better than solid axle with leaf springs.

Regarding size, Ford offers the F-53 in many wheelbase and weight ratings, and the shortest are actually shorter than the Axis/Vegas after being stretched. Regarding weight capacity, the E-Series goes up to 14,500 pounds, while the F-53 starts at 16,000 pounds and goes up from there.

A few years back (not 100% certain it’s still true), the front wheel cut on F-53 was greater/better than on the E-Series. This means an F-53 of identical length should turn tighter than a Class C or Axis/Vegas of equal length and wheelbase.

By the way, I’ve seen specs on some Class Cs with wheelbase up around 224 inches, and it must take a lot of room to make a U-Turn.

I really like smaller, lighter, fuel efficient, and more maneuverable motorhomes, and that’s where I see the E-Series-based RUV like Axis and Vegas having best advantage — but only in smaller sizes like original 24.1 Floorplan, or even smaller like many of the European Hymer Class As. Much larger than that and I’d go with standard Class A like my sister’s Windsport.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
2019 Axis Video Posted today

Today they posted the corresponding Axis video:

Wait: "Auto gen start" in an Axis???

Note: The website now lists all models as being on the E-450 (even the 24.1).

Note 2: Black tank flush also now standard (this may have been standard on prior years; I just didn't notice).
Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #28

State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Today they posted the corresponding Axis video:

Wait: "Auto gen start" in an Axis???

Note: The website now lists all models as being on the E-450 (even the 24.1).

Note 2: Black tank flush also now standard (this may have been standard on prior years; I just didn't notice).
Nice!