Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Thanks, will do in the morning.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I also do that: simply close the black tank and let the flusher fill the tank. There really is no danger of "overpressuring" the black tank since its vented to the roof. Once its about 1/2 full I just open up the black tank valve again.
I do this as well. One word of caution is to not fill the black tank higher than the flush nozzle. Do so could cause a crud buildup around the nozzle and result in clogging the nozzle itself. This happened to me on my prior coach and I had to over drill the nozzle port by 1/32 inch to correct the problem.

I found that using the flush to fill the black tank to between 1/3 and 2/3 and then opening the gate valve works well to flush the tank and hose. I found that doing this procedure two or three times has the water running clear through the hose when finished.

As to pressure regulator it should be in every accessory bag. I also carry a pressure gage so I know what pressure is at the spigot before hooking up the hose to a campground supply. I have found pressures ranging from 30 to 65 psi. Thor classifies high pressure as anything over 55 psi and states over 55 psi can cause leaks.

As to MPG, every motorhome I have owned has averaged between 7 and 11 during normal driving and weather conditions. Since I started travelling via motor coach my philosophy has been "When I start asking about MPG I can no longer afford the lifestyle" Until then I don't care other than to capture an initial estimate or two to determine my range on 1/2 and full tank conditions. In this coach I not longer have to do the initial readings because the Ford message center tells me my distance to empty.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treutervid View Post
Stress cracks should be covered by warranty, as was mine. Also, look into getting windshield coverage on your insurance, it's well worth it. The water pump should be off when connected to water service, I tend to turn it off when I'm going to be out of the RV. I use a regulator, they're cheap and worth the peace of mind. There's a great video on YouTube from RV Geeks about the whole Black and Grey tanks.
Watched this video and it does do a great job in cleaning the black tank. Bravo!

That being said, it is a black tank! Not an extra fresh water holding tank! Does it really need to be THAT clean?!?!?!?!?!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #24

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Dave,

You said "Since I started travelling via motor coach my philosophy has been "When I start asking about MPG I can no longer afford the lifestyle"

EXACTLY! Why worry about a few extra MPG's!?!?!? ENJOY the adventure!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #25

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
Chance

I just purchased a new Vegas, and it was confirmed that the new transmission 6R___
will be in it
That's great to know. I look forward to a review when you receive the motorhome and put some miles on it.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Dave,

You said "Since I started travelling via motor coach my philosophy has been "When I start asking about MPG I can no longer afford the lifestyle"

EXACTLY! Why worry about a few extra MPG's!?!?!? ENJOY the adventure!
Can't you enjoy the adventure as much while saving fuel? Are these two mutually exclusive? I personally don't think so.

I personally like efficiency regardless of whether I can afford to be more wasteful or not.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #27

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Chance,

Soitainly you enjoy both.

The new tranny has some nice features, and I look forward to an owners report.

That said, in the spectrum of things that affect our mileage that's waaaay down the list. When driving a brick down the highway the size 13 on the gas pedal pretty much overwhelms all the others.

Oh, and welcome to the Axis owners club. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

Randy
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Randy, I'm not a new owner yet -- still looking.

Thus far I haven't found the right motorhome I'd want to keep for 10 years, plus at present it would sit idle due to lack of free time. We've canceled or cut short our last two trips so waiting a little to buy is not much of an issue.

If I can't find just the right compact Class A motorhome I may buy another small C instead (probably on Ford E-350 chassis like my previous two). In the mean time I'm trying to learn as much as possible about new designs.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 AM   #29

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I understand about time. We have very little, but are looking to be retired in the not too distant future. We're new to all this and look at it as practice.

That, and I hope to have the Axis all sorted for a long east-coast trip as soon as I do retire.

Good luck with your search. The Axis/Vegas coaches are great (although not without issues), but they aren't right for everyone.

Regards,

Randy
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Quebec
THOR #2688
Will do for sure, looking forward to let you know.
Expecting delivery around the end of September.