Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Scan Gauge 2

Some talk about Scan Gauge 2 and I am looking at a maybe purchase. Contacted the company via email and trying for more input as to just what it would display on my rig.

I have a 2018 Freedom Elite with Ford V10. Just what specifically does the Scan Gauge display on the V10 engines? The company that makes them just refers me to their website but it is not very specific as to what is displayed.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have one that I got mostly to monitor transmission temperature when I was towing a travel trailer with my SUV. You can program them to display any of about a dozen parameters. The small screen can display four numeric values of you choice at a time. Many of options are not particularly helpful. When I put it in my Freedom Elite I think I had it set to display transmission temperature, current horsepower, voltage and coolant temp. Of these only the first was really useful. Horsepower was somewhat interesting and the last two just provided a more accurate duplication of the Ford gauges. You CAN use it to give you estimated instantaneous fuel consumption but I never bothered to program and refine all of the parameters. It’s a bit tedious to program though not actually difficult. I bought a long cord for it and mounted mine with double sided tape to the header above the windshield so it would be close enough for these old eyes to actually read. It seemed to be a useful bit of kit but I am not currently using mine inasmuch as my new MH includes a transmission temp gauge.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I view speed and gallons per hour fuel usage. Speed as sometimes the speedo is unreadable in certain light and fuel usage as a guide.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
I view speed and gallons per hour fuel usage. Speed as sometimes the speedo is unreadable in certain light and fuel usage as a guide.
I own a scan guage 2. I don't even use it anymore. I agree about the speedo being hard to see.... I've gone to using a free nav app called Waze. It give speed limit and your speed as well as any approach hazards. My wife Calculates mpg every fuel stop. Btw my mpg with toad at 60 is about 10 and this last trip at 70 mph was 8.3. quite a difference!
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Some talk about Scan Gauge 2 and I am looking at a maybe purchase. Contacted the company via email and trying for more input as to just what it would display on my rig.

I have a 2018 Freedom Elite with Ford V10. Just what specifically does the Scan Gauge display on the V10 engines? The company that makes them just refers me to their website but it is not very specific as to what is displayed.

I put Scan Gauges on both the V10 and my 5.4L F150. they are great and the company is first rate. They plug into the OBD port and then you mount them where you can see it best. On my RV it is mounted just above the steering column. You can program them to report anything the onboard computer monitors and these days that is just about everything, intake air, HP, Trans temp, engine temp, oil pres, generator output, trip+tank mpg, gallons used, gallons left, pretty much anything you want to see. But, you need to manually keep track of fuel use by the generator. They are even transferable from vehicle to vehicle. The one in my F150 I bought for my 2004 Colorado and never had any trouble with it.

Good luck nd safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
Ditto. It's a little silly, but something to do, to read 3.8 mpg on uphills and 27.2 going down.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I have one that is setup for the Sprinter Chassis, since the dash on that is very deficient in telemetry for engine and transmission conditions while driving. I use it for engine temp, oil pressure, transmission temp, and it will give information for at least a dozen other conditions too. Haven't had it long, but looks like it will be very useful.