Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #8876
New owners, new RV. Thor 34F observations and issues

First off, so far we love our RV. We have a couple of drives and one over nighter under our belt in our first two weeks of ownership. We definitely see this being a big part of our lives.

Since buying the RV, we're encountering some of the typical shoddy build quality everyone talks about. Couple that with a half-assed walk through and PDI and we are where we expected to be... fixing our own small issues.

Missing or broken list so far:
14 screws have rolled out from under things
the screen door latch is missing
one drain plug for a cargo compartment is missing
the drop down bunk gets stuck on the seatbelt cover
The controller box for the cameras was just stuffed up in the wiring rats nest and immediately fell out
There's a shorted wire going to the head unit causing the cameras to blink
At 50 mph there's a whistle at the drivers window that would wake the dead
Front left tire seems to be out of balance causing a slight shake
There's a latch missing on the tv cabinet in the bedroom, causing the tv to flip up every time the RV hits a bump
The wall trim inside the outside kitchen is not attached well (you can see daylight from inside the coach)
4 different keys are required to open the cargo doors
The slide makes an awful screech when being brought in

Of course, the dealer is 2 hours away so I'll likely address most of this stuff myself. Our biggest complaint? Whomever it is at Thor who purchases their crappy cupholders needs to be drawn and quartered. We came home and immediately did surgery on those. Completely useless.

We are looking forward to many years of practice with this RV until we retire in about 11 years. Then we'll upgrade to a diesel pusher! I'm still nervous about hooking our motorcycle trailer up to this thing but... I've got good insurance!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Washington
THOR #8895
Unhappy 2017 Windsport 31S

We've had ours for 2.5 months and are discovering the same shoddy quality. We did a two hour inspection with a flashlight when we bought the coach. After our recent round trip to Colorado and back, the maintenance list is getting longer. I'm like you, why have your RV sitting at the dealer for two months when you can fix it yourself.

Cameras lose signal due to loose wires under the stereo
Front passenger LED lights flicker or go out due to loose wire bundle.
Annoying whistle from driver's side window
Drop down bunk sags on drivers side
Rapid Camp remote doesn't do anything
loose wiring hanging down from the rear underside of the coach.
two USB ports in bedroom don't work
Invertor doesn't seem to power any outlets
Exterior slide corner piece came off somewhere on the highway
Passenger linoleum is coming up on the edge
Ford suspension and steering is garbage. It's not a pleasure to drive this coach when you are constantly fighting with the steering.

We've already decided to trade it in on a diesel pusher. I'm a maintenance fanatic and take care of my toys, but this is ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
Coming up on a year on my Miramar. Gave up on the dealer.. Kept having to go back for the same issues. Just replaced the trombetta solenoid that the dealer replaced only a few months ago.

A few weeks back discovered that the Rapid Camp which is right behind the fuse panel under the bed actually has fuses ON IT. Here is the catch, in order to get to it, the bedroom slide has to be HALFWAY out. There is a panel with four screws over it that you can not get to half of with the slide in any other position.

While I was in there I realized just what a pain it is going to be when I eventually have to replace the charger/converter. One thing I have learned by now on my 3rd RV is that it is not a matter of if I will have to replace it but when.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #4

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
I had a number of issues when I made my purchase. I did all the repairs myself, I had to call Thor for a few parts that were needed and had them in two days. So no I have no warranty issues.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #7217
Drop down bunk catching on seat belt attachment . Remove seatbelt cover & loosen bolts and there should be some adjustment. Just slide and re tighten. That's what I did.
Also, it is not uncommon to have an inch difference from side to side on the bunk. Doesn't hurt and not worth the trying to change.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The whistle may be caused by the window latch. Spray silicone in the window tracks, close the window with a little slam, and make sure the latch engages the groove completely. If the window isn't completely closed and you flip the latch it pushes the window open slightly causing the whistle. This is a common problem, takes a while for that fuzzy stuff in the window track to break in.

We found several loose screws laying around in our coach too!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #8876
Thanks for the tips. It sounds like the wind noise is coming from somewhere near the windshield but I'll try the silicone trick first.

Today's newb lesson... you can forget finding a campground with availability if you wait till the Monday before a long weekend.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
wiz

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Hampshire
THOR #9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofx View Post
A few weeks back discovered that the Rapid Camp which is right behind the fuse panel under the bed actually has fuses ON IT. Here is the catch, in order to get to it, the bedroom slide has to be HALFWAY out. There is a panel with four screws over it that you can not get to half of with the slide in any other position.
You may find this useful https://www.lci1.com/support-myrv I think it's the vendor who makes the Rapid Camp's documentation on their generic product.

We have had a 2000 class C since 2004 and are looking to upgrade. After looking and dozens and dozens of class A's we saw a used 2015 Windsport 34F and love the floor plan. It has just about all of our checklist items, except a convection microwave and a drawer instead of the oven. I doing lots of research on issues people are having as I'll likely be fixing these myself if we buy that used one or another.
I'm very handy and feel confident as most of you I could tackle these issues myself. Of course, we will have to get an appropriate discount from book value to make it worth it.