Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #21
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Lynn S View Post
Another is buying a rig then finding out the frame was manufactured in the previous year. Unfortunately it will be titled as a unit built in the previous year.
Very common for RV to be on prior year chassis... And in ALL states it SHOULD be titled based on RV manufacturer's year, and not chassis.

There is an extensive thread here with info from RVIA and others and resources to help.
Easiest is to verify the year on the paperwork the dealer submits to whatever your state's motor vehicle department is. I don't have link handy, but search should find it.

It needs to be addressed/fixed at or near time of purchase and not later sale/trade.

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 AM   #22

State: Michigan
THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
I'm on my 4th RV but my 1st THOR. I was drawn to THOR because of the "bang for the buck" ratio and the floorplans. I considered both the Miramar and the Windsport. The Windsport won out because the Miramar's height, 22.5" tires and price were negatives (for me) that outweighed its really good points.

As stated above, you are rolling the dice when you buy an RV. You may get a jewel that doesn't have any problems or you may get one that stays in the shop more than on the road. The good news is that THOR is pretty good about letting independent shops do warranty work.

I don't know about Illinois but here in Alabama a MH is titled on model year. If it is a 2017 model on a 2016 chassis it will be titled as a 2017.

Get a couple of quotes if you can. I got a quote from MHRSV and the local dealer matched it.

I hope you enjoy whatever you get as much as we have enjoyed our Windsport!

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
If you have never had or rented an RV I would suggest you rent one and try it out. I have heard stories of folks that bought a brand new RV, tried it for a couple of weeks and sold it, it just wasn't their cup of tea.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
I am definitely not a seasoned Motorhome owner as we are on our first Motorhome (coming from a trailer trailer). We purchased a 2018 Miramar 35.3 back in June. We have been extremely happy with it so far. I've had to take in back to the dealer several times for issues, most of which had to do with the new Firefly Multiplex system (had the wrong software loaded). I also had a leaking kitchen window they had to fix. We were initially going to purchase a Newmar Baystar 3401 but fell in love with the 35.3 floorplan. I know Thor seems to get a bad rap sometimes but my wife and I thought the build quality on the Miramar was just as good as the Newmar. We really like the 35.2 floorplan but I was scared away by the full length slide. You can research but several people have had trouble with the 2 track and 3 track full length slides (not just on Miramars). The Miramar (to me) drives very well but it's the only Class A I have ever driven so I don't have anything to compare it to. It does have quite a bit of body roll but I plan on adding some suspension mods next year.

We are extremely happy with our Miramar and would definitely purchase again.

Burch
Old 11-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I am definitely not a seasoned Motorhome owner as we are on our first Motorhome (coming from a trailer trailer). We purchased a 2018 Miramar 35.3 back in June. We have been extremely happy with it so far. I've had to take in back to the dealer several times for issues, most of which had to do with the new Firefly Multiplex system (had the wrong software loaded). I also had a leaking kitchen window they had to fix. We were initially going to purchase a Newmar Baystar 3401 but fell in love with the 35.3 floorplan. I know Thor seems to get a bad rap sometimes but my wife and I thought the build quality on the Miramar was just as good as the Newmar. We really like the 35.2 floorplan but I was scared away by the full length slide. You can research but several people have had trouble with the 2 track and 3 track full length slides (not just on Miramars). The Miramar (to me) drives very well but it's the only Class A I have ever driven so I don't have anything to compare it to. It does have quite a bit of body roll but I plan on adding some suspension mods next year.

We are extremely happy with our Miramar and would definitely purchase again.

Burch
Did you get a front end alignment yet? My Miramar had 26mm of tow out. Once they corrected it, it drove SO much better. I'm a first time motorhome owner as well.

I did a write up here: http://rvtravelbug.com/handling-issues-with-new-rv/
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Did you get a front end alignment yet? My Miramar had 26mm of tow out. Once they corrected it, it drove SO much better. I'm a first time motorhome owner as well.

I did a write up here: Handling Issues With New RV – RV Travel Bug
I have not done that yet but it's on my list of things to do after the holidays. I know our Miramar tracks straight and doesn't pull to either side unless there is a crosswind but I know that isn't always a sign that the alignment isn't off.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #27

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
VIN# vs Model Year

[QUOTE=Larry;99548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post

I don't know about Illinois but here in Alabama a MH is titled on model year. If it is a 2017 model on a 2016 chassis it will be titled as a 2017.

Georgia is just the opposite. A 2016 chassis is titled as a 2016.

BTW....War Eagle!!!
War Eagle!
Larry,
The 2nd block on the Georgia tag form is for model year. I assume you put the camper model year in that and they just blew it off?
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
RVIA Link

BTW, here's the link to the RVIA document mentioned above.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Motorhomes.pdf
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #29

State: Tennessee
THOR #10129
Air Force Guy;
I'm also new to Class A's. I just bought a 2001 Damon Escaper with the 350 Cummins and an Allison 5 speed. A couple of things I don't know, first if the onboard battery charger is a "smart" charger, that is, won't cook the batteries of left connected to shore power for the winter? The second is in the bathroom is a regular light switch with a red indicator light that I cannot figure out what it does? In your research have you found out about the battery charger?

Jim
Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post

I did a write up here: Handling Issues With New RV – RV Travel Bug
Wow!! When toe-in is measured in small fractions of an inch (1/16" to 1/4") 1" of toe-out is ridiculous.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
[QUOTE=WarEagleDan;99842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post

War Eagle!

Larry,

The 2nd block on the Georgia tag form is for model year. I assume you put the camper model year in that and they just blew it off?

Yeah. I suppose so. When I took the paperwork in to the tax office after arriving home from IN, showing it was sold to me as a 2015 coach, they said it would have to be taxed according to the VIN chassis # which showed it as being a 2014. When the tag registration arrives each year for renewal, it’s reflected as a 2014. It sucks but I plan to keep it several more years anyway.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #32

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Correct me if I'm wrong here -- but isn't the VIN assigned by the manufacturer of the chassis? So the model year is coded in the VIN by Ford, Chevy, etc. when they complete manufacture on the chassis.

So the chassis might go to another company to be extended and modified. Then the modified chassis is going to go to Thor to have the "house" assembled on the modified chassis.

It's quite possible for the model year to change from when the chassis manuf put their model year in the VIN and when Thor finished assembling the "house" and sent it to their dealer for sale.

But the bottom line is that the model year for that RV is going to come from the VIN not when Thor finished with it.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #33

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Ed,
I believe what you say here is true. I picked mine up at Total Value RV in July, 2014 within a week after it was delivered from the factory. They had been building the 2015 floor plan, upgrades, etc. for a few months. No idea how long the chassis had been at the Thor manufacturing facility prior to the build originating, thus carrying the 2014 chassis VIN.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #34
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here -- but isn't the VIN assigned by the manufacturer of the chassis? So the model year is coded in the VIN by Ford, Chevy, etc. when they complete manufacture on the chassis.

So the chassis might go to another company to be extended and modified. Then the modified chassis is going to go to Thor to have the "house" assembled on the modified chassis.

It's quite possible for the model year to change from when the chassis manuf put their model year in the VIN and when Thor finished assembling the "house" and sent it to their dealer for sale.

But the bottom line is that the model year for that RV is going to come from the VIN not when Thor finished with it.
For any 'multi stage vehicle' including RVs:

The VIN is assigned by the 'incomplete vehicle manufacturer'. (Chassis).
The model year is assigned by the final manufacturer and documented on the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”).

The title should reflect the year on the final manufacturer's MCO and not the year on VIN when there is a mismatch.

Info from RVIA:
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases

Quote:
Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is?
The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here --

Nope, you're wrong.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #36

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Air Force Guy - not sure how you will use the coach, full time or part time. We use our coach about 3/4 time and love it. The things that a new buyer might not think about but in our opinion are 'gotta haves'. They are: 1. On board liquid storage of fresh, gray and black water. 2. Exterior storage with easy access.

We spend upwards to of 3 months per year dry camping. The onboard water storage allows us to run washer every other day, DW takes an onboard shower each day and we use sinks and commodes routinely. With that schedule, we take on fresh water and dump gray/black every 6 days.

The basement storage of 180 sq ft, is must have to take all the stuff (chairs, tents, tables, grill, extras, extras and more extras). Some gasser and diesel coaches have compartments vs open door pass throughs.

With all that said, make a list of the 'gotta haves" and then come on back looking for specific comments. The two I mentioned are often not considered until it is too late - you bought and coach doesn't have the feature.