Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2014, 03:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #875
MPG for Chateau

Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

We're thinking of purchasing a 2015 Chateau 31E within the next few weeks. I know that MPG depends on many factors like driving style, weight, etc. Does anyone know what the possible MPG would be? I've heard around 9mpg.

Also, we might be towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, or even a box trailer. I'm used to Diesel engines and was wondering if it would have difficulties towing up hills? Any information would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Assuming you have the Ford E450 with Triton V10, I can tell you what I get with my Four Winds 28Z, which is actually 29ft-11in, so it is probably closer in size and weight to your 31E than you might first think. My rig weighs around 11,600lbs dry (probably closer to 12,900lbs when packed and occupied).

I have to tell you though, I have only had it 8 months, so I might still adjust the mileage by cross-checking the results.

The way I check mileage is with a Garmin EcoRoute HD device - it plugs into the OBDC connector on the coach, so my assumption (from again, my boating experience-I had a similar system on my boat) is that fuel flow data is transmitted to the EcoRoute.

Hooked to the EcoRoute (via Bluetooth) is a Garmin RV760LMT GPS Navigation Unit. And my second assumption is the GPS distance traveled is used along with the OBDC fuel flow data to figure out MPG. Again, that is how it worked on my boat, so I am figuring that is a pretty standard method.

So, the answer you are waiting for... I am getting just about 11MPG at 60MPH on the Freeway over flat terrain. If I get into hills, it quickly drops down to 10MPG or less. On secondary (state) highways and city driving, where there is a lot of stop/starts - I am just around 9Mpg.

I was figuring 8MPG when we bought it, so I am thrilled at 11MPG (my boat got 0.8MPG). Again though, this is only with about 400 miles with the OBDC data. I have not been able to do many "old-fashioned" comparisons (you know - fill the tank, drive x miles, fill the tank, and do the math).

I'll probably do that this summer as we get more miles on the rig as a cross-check on the OBDC data accuracy. But if indeed the fuel flow data is measured, that means things like tire size or other factors are not part of the determination. Just miles traveled per hour / gallons per hour from GPS and fuel flow data.

I have not yet towed a vehicle, but the Triton has a good reputation for producing a lot of torque... but at higher RPMs. So you may have to put your foot in it when towing in hilly terrain. Of course, that will make a lot of difference in gas mileage.

Also, you can buy the Garmin EcoRoute HD for a dozen or so different Garmin GPS units, or even if you have an Android Tablet/Smartphone - you can download the Garmin Mechanic app, which will couple to the EcoRoute and provide data. Unfortunately, there is no such app for an iPhone.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #299
Chateau MPG

I have a 2014 31L and two either a honda crv or an open trailer carrying a Rhino. We live in AZ and travel through mountains and have wind most of the time. I have put over 3500 miles on it since Aug of last year. My MPG ranges from 7.5 to 8.5 using manual calculations. We set the cruise control to be somewhere between 60 to 65 depending on wind and road conditions.