Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thor 3 Trax Wall Slide System

For those that may not have seen or heard about the 3 Trax System here a link to info. Apparently the system starting being installed on units built after 10/1/2014. It is only available on select floor plans within a model. For example it is only being installed on the Challenger 35HT and 37LX floor plans which are the ones with the full wall slides.

3TRAX Slide-Out System

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
It's on my 2015 Chateau 31W. I've also got a full wall slide.
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS31W View Post
It's on my 2015 Chateau 31W. I've also got a full wall slide.
Have you had any of the slide hang up issues experienced on older coaches with full wall slides?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
The 3 Trax System is in direct response to the countless warranty repairs Thor has experienced on the Palazzo and Daybreak series with the full wall slide outs.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
It's on my 35HT and so far has worked like a charm. Instructions say to never partially open or close a slide as it will get out of sync. It is also recommended that when you open or close the slide you hold the button for an additional 3 to 5 seconds once the slide is fully open or closed.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
...."ensuring simple, maintenance free operation."

Would like to know in what context they mean "maintenance free operation"? I thought going slideless is the only way to avoid all maintenance.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

THOR #1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Have you had any of the slide hang up issues experienced on older coaches with full wall slides?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
No, so far after 6 months of use no problems with the slide.
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
...."ensuring simple, maintenance free operation."

Would like to know in what context they mean "maintenance free operation"? I thought going slideless is the only way to avoid all maintenance.
In the world of logistics and particularly in the realm of vehicles and equipment there is a distinct difference between "service" and "maintenance". Service (such as oil change, lube etc...) is performed to keeping something in working order while maintenance is performed to return something to operational condition.

In this case it should operate without requiring repairs, however, you will still have to perform services such as inspecting and cleaning the tracks.

Hopefully this system eliminates the need to tow a mobile service and parts van with on board tech on all trips.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Thanks. I'm guessing that if maintenance is used to mean "repair", then "repair free operation" refers only to repairs that prevent the slide from operating (as in going in and out). Repairs like replacing seals so it doesn't leak would be excluded?
Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #2490
34J fulltime wall slide issue

I have a 2014 Hurricane 34J w full wall slide. We have replaced the slide motors twice and are in the process of replacing the slide rails for the second time in 5 months. Is there a way to get the 3 trac system retro -fit? We had to cancel trips because of this and warranty company may not cover more repeat repairs.

Andy throughout/comments??
Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjwsr23 View Post
I have a 2014 Hurricane 34J w full wall slide. We have replaced the slide motors twice and are in the process of replacing the slide rails for the second time in 5 months. Is there a way to get the 3 trac system retro -fit? We had to cancel trips because of this and warranty company may not cover more repeat repairs.

I don't know why it couldn't be retro fitted onto the slide. The question might be who would pay for the retrofitting?

Have you by any chance called and talked to Thor about the problems. Since you are having repeated problems with both motors and rails they may be willing to step up to the plate and assist. The worse that happens is they say no and you spent a few minutes on the phone.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-21-2015, 03:57 AM   #12

THOR #1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I don't know why it couldn't be retro fitted onto the slide. The question might be who would pay for the retrofitting?

Have you by any chance called and talked to Thor about the problems. Since you are having repeated problems with both motors and rails they may be willing to step up to the plate and assist. The worse that happens is they say no and you spent a few minutes on the phone.
If they do say no then I would ask them why did they have to re engineer all full wall slides with the three tracks. It was because two could not carry the load and they would fail after a short time. About 90% of my storage (closets, pantry, cabinets and drawers) are located within the slide so there's a lot of weight. I did redistribute some weight to the other side in hopes of not having any problems.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #13

State: Virginia
THOR #1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjwsr23 View Post

I have a Thor 2014 34J with large 2 track wall slide. I have scheduled an appointment with Thor in Indiana to upgrade to the 3 track system. the upgrade will cost approx. $1,600 (parts and labor). I've had repeat problems with wall slide jamming - so am hoping that this upgrade will solve the problem.

About 6 months ago I took my RV to Thor for service and was very happy with the Service Dept. and work that was performed.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #3454
I own a 2016 THOR Miramar 34.2 with a fULL WALL SLIDE and it is already hanging up with three weeks of owner ship and it is a three trax system. I took it to the dealership( North Trail RV) and the tech replaced one motor and the controller and it made no difference. Tech is not sure what is going on. He was going to contact thor for advise and call me back in for repairs. hopefully this slide system is not going to become a lemon. I'm really in love with the coach, but afraid of the big slide. will repost with outcome once it gets repaired.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:16 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I own a 2016 THOR Miramar 34.2 with a fULL WALL SLIDE and it is already hanging up with three weeks of owner ship and it is a three trax system. I took it to the dealership( North Trail RV) and the tech replaced one motor and the controller and it made no difference. Tech is not sure what is going on. He was going to contact thor for advise and call me back in for repairs. hopefully this slide system is not going to become a lemon. I'm really in love with the coach, but afraid of the big slide. will repost with outcome once it gets repaired.
Robert,

What do you mean by hanging up? If you are not aware, when operating the slide you must hold the switch in the open or close position for a few seconds after the slide stop moving. If the slide is stopped in mid travel it can become "out of sync" and the synchronization process must be completed. If your slide was not properly sync'd after the motor was installed you could have the same issue or maybe one that is more severe.

Here is a link for a video on how to sync the slide system if you have not already seen it.

FMCA - F432054
Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 AM   #16

THOR #3454
Yes I am aware that it needs to be held until it opens or closes all the way. I also wait a couple of seconds once its done. My front side of slide binds and gets stuck mid way while trying to close.it runs in about 4 to 6 inches and then gets stuck while the rear is still closing. The manufacture told the dealer today to chk the rollers for adjustment. I will repost with final outcome.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:34 AM   #17

THOR #3454
Oh, thanks for the you tube videos but I have seen them all , lol thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #18

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Slide Problems

The problem with most slides is that they were installed incorrectly at the factory, and not adjusted.

THOR's QA department consists of buyers returning to the selling dealers for repair/replacement of incorrectly installed or defective parts. It helps them work off that 1 year warranty with your coach sitting in a shop, waiting for repairs.

I believe you will find that the lower rollers, that support the weight of the slide, were never shimmed up properly, to meet and support the slide. Very common problem. The rollers must be removed, shimmed up to support the weight of the slide.

Welcome to THOR Warranty Service. You will get to know them well.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #19

THOR #2121
I have a much different take on slide problems.

The problem with most slides in my opinion, given their weight and cost restrictions, is that they are inherently very difficult to get right. There are a lot of design difficulties to overcome. I'm honestly amazed that most work as well as they do for as long as they do.

It also doesn't help that most motorhome structures aren't stiff enough to provide a solid foundation for slides. These large boxes on wheels flex and twist more than most people think. It's not unlike automobiles from decades ago that if you opened a door and then jacked the car up, you couldn't close the door again until the auto was jacked back down. The body's structure actually twisted enough to easily see with naked eye. And most motorhomes are worse in stiffness so something has to give when you drive them on significantly unleveled roads.

I think manufacturers do an excellent job for the most part considering what they are trying to accomplish with slides. Still, given a choice, I'd pass on them in preference for a solid and sealed wall. There is much less that can go wrong.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #20

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
2017 Miramar 34.3 slide problems

We just took ownership of a 2017 Miramar 34.3 that came with slide issues. The full wall slide would not retract/extend completely or evenly (did everything right with leveling, keeping button pressed, etc.). Called techs and could not find a solution. Now the 3 week RV is at the dealer.

By my research (and comments in multiple forums), it sounds like my slide has a roller adjustment issue....

We found, at the dealer last week, that our RV was sold to us with the 2 track system instead of the advertised 3Trax. Now I have a dealership fabricating the slide with the parts sent from Thor! Sounds great, huh? Eeeeks....

I now have to look into what differences there are in the two slides. Does anyone know of the motor differences? Sounds like the 3Trax system should have the 1/500. Is there a newer roller configuration in the 3Trax system? Surely for $1600 there must be more to the 3Trax than just three side rails and a couple motors that retail for $250 apiece for $1600.

Any info would be appreciated. Thinking that Thor should offer an additional warranty to us for the screw up.