Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow the 27' Hurricane/Windsport floorplan looks a lot like the new Axis/Vegas one:
Hurricane/Windsport:

Axis/Vegas:

So if you want that floorplan in a F-53 get the Hurricane/Windsport, if you want it in something a little smaller get the Axis/Vegas (I bet the F-53 version has more outside storage, yup: 73 cu ft vs 36 cu ft).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Regardless of what tank size is being used: it's a nice-looking rig!
But the pricing seems a bit odd...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut....

Funny that in the video above they stress the one outside storage spot.
I don't know which video you're referring to, but on pictures the only compartment of any size I see is the one under the sofa. And it's not that large.

Based on size and general layout, this 27.7 reminds me of the Chateau 28A Class C floorplan. They both have walk-around queen bed, a sofa and dinette across from each other at front, and "L" shaped kitchen in middle of coach. A huge difference is the 28A has approximately 100 cubic feet of outside storage space, plus a built-in spare tire well.

I find the old 28A floorplan more efficient overall.

I know buyers want multiple slides, but I hope this 27.7 doesn't have some of the same issues similar motorhomes have "reportedly" had. Both slides on driver side may make weight distribution off a bit. Longer rear overhang may affect handling. Cargo carrying capacity may be less than other Axis/Vegas built on E-450, etc.....

I just hope buyers actually test drive the unit rather than assume it will perform to their expectations.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But it at least shows some promise: doesn't it?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #25

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
the ace 27.2 is the middle child, same price as the Vegas/Axis, 10k less than the Hurricane/WS version. The Hurricane/WS has 2k more chassis capacity and a longer wheelbase.

They are running this floorplan up the flagpole really high
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	7032  
Old 09-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
The model # sort of makes sense--and hints at another floorplan being available soon. Looking at the website there is: 24.1, 25.2, 25.3, 25.4, 25.5 and now 27.7..where is the .6?

It still is relatively smallish (assuming it is, in fact, only 27ft; that does put it under 30--30 being an arbitrary measure for "large" RVs). Our 24.1 easily fits across two parking spots with space to spare, perhaps that is what they are going for "small enough to fit across two parking spaces"--again another arbitrary specification.

I was hoping that they would go a little larger like this: The step up to an F-53 just makes the RV feel "huge" to me, even for the 25ft class A's on the F-53. A little longer Axis/Vegas on the E450 frame still has that small A feel to it (although I'll have to decide that if/when I actually get to see a 27.7 model--our local RV show is in two weeks but I'm doubtful they'll have one).
They had a video tour of the 27.7 at the RV show...looked nice...I love our 24.1 but if this had been available at the time I might have gone with it instead.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #27

THOR #6040
has the Vegas/Axis had an available leveling system before.

Electric stabilizing system is optional on all, and standard on the 27.7

I wonder if the 2 slides on the same side requires rigid jacking support.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But it at least shows some promise: doesn't it?

Like what?

I like that it's got both a sofa and a dinette, but in my opinion that's setting the bar really low for a motorhome that length. Can't honestly say I like much about the entire design beyond that.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Electric versus hydraulic stabilizers is of interest. The lower E-Series frame (compared to F-53) may make hydraulic tougher to fit under MH.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
the ace 27.2 is the middle child, same price as the Vegas/Axis, 10k less than the Hurricane/WS version. The Hurricane/WS has 2k more chassis capacity and a longer wheelbase.

They are running this floorplan up the flagpole really high
I believe this has been out since 2017 and pre-dates the other 2.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Like what?
Perhaps for folks that aren't full-timers, and just want a nice rig for trips that last weeks; not Months!

Not everyone in here is looking to take their families out on the road permanently...

A shorter rig with less storage can actually fit the bill quite nicely!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps for folks that aren't full-timers, and just want a nice rig for trips that last weeks; not Months!

Not everyone in here is looking to take their families out on the road permanently...

A shorter rig with less storage can actually fit the bill quite nicely!
You're totally missing what Chance is looking for LOL (he wants a smaller Axis/Vegas with no slides--not a larger one with more slides! LOL).
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #33

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Just for info Jamie, the smallest Windsport has a length of 29' 3". That is why I made my comment about the Axis/Vegas retaining its 25 and a half foot length. I would think people want that length for a reason. As I said, if I was going to go towards the 27 and up length, I would probably opt for a more heavy duty F53 chassis. Winnebago makes their Vista as an example that is just over 27' long in the 26N model.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
You're totally missing what Chance is looking for LOL (he wants a smaller Axis/Vegas with no slides--not a larger one with more slides! LOL).

Actually, my personal needs or preferences don't play a major role when I evaluate any design. You're correct that I'm interested in a motorhome much smaller than this 27.7, but that in itself doesn't influence my opinion on its design.

The Devil is in the details, and there are many in this design I wouldn't be comfortable with without a lot more investigation. Limited outside storage is one previously discussed. I'm also not sure a single A/C can cool a unit this size with two slides in areas I camp during summer.

I'd also want to look at location of holding tanks, particularly the black tank's position relative to rear axle. With rear corner bath and long rear overhang, I'd want to test handling (tough to do on new unit).

Basically, "most" buyers will buy this MH while parked in showroom based on how the interior looks. If I were in the market for this size RV, I'd want to know a lot more.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Actually, my personal needs or preferences don't play a major role when I evaluate any design. You're correct that I'm interested in a motorhome much smaller than this 27.7, but that in itself doesn't influence my opinion on its design.

The Devil is in the details, and there are many in this design I wouldn't be comfortable with without a lot more investigation. Limited outside storage is one previously discussed. I'm also not sure a single A/C can cool a unit this size with two slides in areas I camp during summer.

I'd also want to look at location of holding tanks, particularly the black tank's position relative to rear axle. With rear corner bath and long rear overhang, I'd want to test handling (tough to do on new unit).

Basically, "most" buyers will buy this MH while parked in showroom based on how the interior looks. If I were in the market for this size RV, I'd want to know a lot more.
I think many of the experienced users on here would look a bit deeper before purchasing than simply on the floorplan.

On the A/C note that they've switched to 15k A/C's as standard on all Axis/Vegas units (strangely during the video at the top of the thread both people say they are all 16k now).
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
It looks fine except the extra overhand for towing.

I am adding a 2nd a/c as a single 15k is not enough at track without shade. I would think extra volume with slides would be tough on a single unit.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Looking at the specs: The wheelbase is 194" (same as the 25.2) but its 2' longer than the 25.2. Since the front end is all the same the front wheels are in the same spot and all of that extra 2' will be in the rear overhang. Note that the 25.2 has the rear slide thus the 27.7 is the same length as the 25.2 if the 25.2 has its slide extended (roughly).
Hard to tell from the only image I've found:

If that is a huge overhang or not. Also note that this model seems to be a prototype, or at least different from Thor's video walkthrough as it has the BBQ connector at the rear (and if you go to the website and scroll through the pics it doesn't have the fancy flip cover BBQ connector by the door).
Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

You take a look at the BIG picture... Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #39

THOR #6040
depending on the rear axle weight, exterior storage may not be too important, unless you carry Styrofoam beads.

This floor plan may be pushing the chassis platform to the limit, or just beyond. Even if I were going with the F53 versions, for 10k msrp * 0.75, I would opt for the Hurricane/WS over the Ace for the extra weight capacity and wheelbase, along with other upgrades, and then the option of 50amp electric.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut......

If that is a huge overhang or not. .....cut....

This is a screen shot from a different angle, making it look longer. But some of it is perspective, because from front view the rear looks short.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5595.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	7039