Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Maryland
THOR #4248
Angry New Windsport 34J - Toilet backup issues - HELP!

Hello all! I am a long time lurker but have never posted. This is a brand new 2016 Windsport 34J...along with tons of first year RV issues (too many to list)... the big one is that if the RV sits level during camping, the solids fall into the black tank onto a ledge, they promptly back up and clog the toilet...which then burps "stuff" all over. Ultimately, I have to scour my campsite to find a stick to unclog the toilet!!!!! The dealer said I am using the toilet wrong Once I explained that I have owned RVs my entire life (and have used toilets my entire life), they realized we are not "using it wrong." THOR said we should SQUIRT SOME DAWN DETERGENT IN THERE TO "LUBE THE TANK UP A BIT" because no one else is having the problem.

IS THIS TRUE!? Am I the only Windsport/Hurricane 34J owner that has this issue? Am I in fact, "using the toilet wrong"?!

Maybe it goes without saying but I do not feel that after spending that much money, I should have to poke pooh with a stick in my rv....just saying!

Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would say that you must use MORE WATER when you flush, specifically: press the foot lever down half way until the bowl is filled half way with water, do your business, then add MORE water before you flush.
The weight of the water, and the sudden gravity flush, is what takes solids on down the tank and out of the way of the top of the tank where the toilet sits. No more 'pyramid' of stuff to block your toilet exit.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

THOR #4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I would say that you must use MORE WATER when you flush, specifically: press the foot lever down half way until the bowl is filled half way with water, do your business, then add MORE water before you flush.
The weight of the water, and the sudden gravity flush, is what takes solids on down the tank and out of the way of the top of the tank where the toilet sits. No more 'pyramid' of stuff to block your toilet exit.
Thanks for the idea but we have tried that...I have even tried filling the bowl COMPLETELY with water but for some reason our tank has a ledge that is directly under the tube that everything just stacks up on....seems that Thor is working on a solution....stay tuned!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Have the same issue here. So I figured out that using more water on the flushes drastically helps on the clogging issue I had. So when my family goes to do #2, they know to use more water than usual.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
oh, that sure does sound like a poorly thought out choice of tanks for that floor plan.
I'm sure that water helps, and of course one needs to use enough water anytime with solid waste, but shouldn't have to use an excess that will fill up the tank sooner!

Is it a straight shot down to the tank, so that you can see the ledge, so that you can see exactly what is going on?

Just brainstorming.... but I'm thinking of a flush nozzle placed at the ledge to deflect things a bit when you flush.
or maybe better
a wedge to turn the flat ledge into a poop slide.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Just brainstorming.... but I'm thinking of a flush nozzle placed at the ledge to deflect things a bit when you flush.
or maybe better
a wedge to turn the flat ledge into a poop slide.
Or, use the campgrounds restroom for solid waste. That's what we do. Not even as much as toilet tissue goes into the black tank. Of course, that's not for everyone and not a solution if boondocking and no restroom facilities nearby.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #7

THOR #4248
Love the brainstorming blw2! Thank you...must say a poop slide is by far my favorite proposed solution so far! Yes you can see this ledge. I have thought of the nozzle but I am hoping I am not the one that has to do the install...merely because I bought a new camper....shouldn't the dealer/mfr do it?! If I lose this battle, I am absolutely installing a poop slide and a nozzle (will likely do both!!!). Water slide!

Larry, yes, we could use the campground facilities...just ticks me off I have too and I really want the ability to boondock.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
This poop flow thing is a mystery to me, fortunately we have had no problems (knock on wood). We just go and flush and never empty unless I have at least 2/3s full. We then run a bunch of water in and dump again and always have a chemical solid destroyer in the tank. One of the reasons we like RVing is to avoid public bathrooms.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
One more thing to check on PDI.
Note to self - Don't forget flashlight.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Or, use the campgrounds restroom for solid waste. That's what we do. Not even as much as toilet tissue goes into the black tank. Of course, that's not for everyone and not a solution if boondocking and no restroom facilities nearby.
Maybe I'm odd, but one of the reasons I bought an RV was to have my own throne and my own shower. I plan on using them whenever possible.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

THOR #4248
Quote:
Maybe I'm odd, but one of the reasons I bought an RV was to have my own throne and my own shower. I plan on using them whenever possible.
YEAH! me too! Like my own throne too!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Can't say I blame you. Our system isn't for everyone but it works for us. did the same thing before when we had a TT. Uhhh...that's travel trailer.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 AM   #13

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
We have the same tank configuration, and had the same issue. Note the word had, and if you are lucky the fix for ours will work for you. A wonderful mobile repair man in the DC area came to our aid when he used an old, flexible awning hook down the toilet and into the tank opening to detach what seemed to be a piece of holding tank insulation acting as a flap where the pipe joined the tank that caused the great waste pyramid. There clearly was an obstruction that he pulled off, one that was not detected by our home based repair guys when it was in for warranty work using a regular snake. We still need to make sure that enough water is used to flush down to the tank, but it's been 2 years and no more waste pyramid.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #14

Model: windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2451
Red face same problem here 2016 windport 35c

After having this rv since Oct 2016 we are now running into a pretty constant problem with the poop parade! It is now in both our throne rooms and we have already done More Water please and plunged and poked yet the parade returns. I noticed someone posted a blurb about a Chemical waste destroyer, have you tried it and did it work? Another blurb about Dawn did that work? Seems to be some type of ledge in both toilets. Any advice is appreciated. We tried hot water to dissolve it but it failed.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I don't have this problem, but reading the posts it is not clear to me whether there is a corner of the tank, or something, in the way, or is it a shelf like board that is obstructing the flow.

If you remove the toilet can you reach the obstruction and see if it some kind of board that has moved and now interferes with the flow?

Removing the toilet is not that big a deal. I have removed mine twice to clean the works when the toilet no longer held water in the bowl.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #16

Model: windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2451
Wink Toilet backup currently resolved

Thank you for the idea it may be necessary in the future to do the toilet removal. The issued has been resolved currently. Had to find a Stick like object to Move/Breakup up build up then clean , clean clean with lots and lots of water. This corrected the back tank. The midcabin tank is still being corrected because the plumbing runs across from one side to the other to reach the tank the piping has a long run for the waste to move along. The park water pressure is just not enough. Went to camping world and purchased some chemicals to help break it up. We did follow every suggestion given and want to thank everyone for the advice. Fellow Campers are awesome
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #17

Model: WINDSPORT
State: Texas
THOR #4417
In our Windsport we had a problem show up when emptying the holding tank. There was a circle of floor tile that had been dropped in the holding tank after cutting the hole to install the toilet during build. It released when draining and blocked the valve making it impossible to close the valve. Had to use long nose pliers to dislodge it from valve and remove it. We had trouble getting everything out from the ledge when emptying tank prior to this. Realized after the floor tile circle blocked valve that we had seen the circle sitting on the ledge you described. Don't understand letting it fall in the holding tank and not removing it before in talking toilet.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #18

Model: WINDSPORT
State: Texas
THOR #4417
Well that should have ended with "before installing toilet". You have to love auto correct and the nonsense it creates, lol
Old 02-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #19

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I have read on several rv forums about debris left over from the manufacturing left in the tanks causing problems. Clean as good as you can, remove the toilet and look inside with a flashlight.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6504
We just went on our first trip with our 2017 Hurricane 34J and the toilet backed up as well. I had to use a stick and break it up to clear it. Looks like it hits a ledge then has make a 90 degree turn. I assumed we just weren't using enough water. Going to bring it up when I drop it off for warranty work.

Tags
black tank issues, hurricane 34j, toilet clog