Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Newbie considering a Vegas or Axis

Need advice...

I'm considering purchasing a 2016 24.1 model so I can travel with my 85 yr old father and small poodles The layout is perfect!

It's difficult for him to fly or travel in a car because of joint replacement issues. Other than joint issues, he is healthy as a horse. My dad is a retired farmer that owned travel trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes.

I'm a single female in my early 50s. I just retired after working 30 yrs in a high stress senior role. I own a hummer and sports cars. My Hummer is the biggest thing I have ever driven. I've never driven a motorhome and I'm a bit nervous.

We both live in central Florida. I do own an RV lot in key largo we could use.

I plan to use the RV to travel to our farm in Illinios, utilize my lot in the keys and explore the US.

Is the Thor Axis or Vegas a good unit to own? What is the good the bad and the UGLY! Thank you
__________________

__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:45 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,264
THOR #1150
The real trick is to find a good dealer. They all have some sort of problems when they arrive at the dealer from the factory. A good dealer will have everything fixed before you get there to pick it up; a bad one will let you find the issues and demand that they fix them.

Thor is pretty good about communicating with owners and taking care of warranty issues, but they do ask that a qualified RV service technician do the repairs (note: doesn't have to be the dealer you purchased from, and in some cases doesn't even have to be an authorized Thor dealer).

The Vegas/Axis units in general are pretty good. The newer ones have some design changes that take care of some of the quirks the early ones had.

Send a PM to bevedfelker and ask for the crowd sourced owners manual he put together for the 24.1...it will answer all of your questions (and some you didn't even know you had).
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
Posts: 476
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The real trick is to find a good dealer. They all have some sort of problems when they arrive at the dealer from the factory. A good dealer will have everything fixed before you get there to pick it up; a bad one will let you find the issues and demand that they fix them.

Thor is pretty good about communicating with owners and taking care of warranty issues, but they do ask that a qualified RV service technician do the repairs (note: doesn't have to be the dealer you purchased from, and in some cases doesn't even have to be an authorized Thor dealer).

The Vegas/Axis units in general are pretty good. The newer ones have some design changes that take care of some of the quirks the early ones had.

Send a PM to bevedfelker and ask for the crowd sourced owners manual he put together for the 24.1...it will answer all of your questions (and some you didn't even know you had).
JAMIE is 100% right good dealer is the key, price is important to a point but a good dealer will make your experience a lot better.
__________________
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
TyCreek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
Posts: 531
THOR #1944
We looked at Leisure, Coachhouse and the Via (the ones I remember with twin beds). The best thing about the Axis/Vegas is the sub $70K price brand new and the V10 has considerably more power than the MB powered comparable rigs we tried. The bad is that it doesn't have an inverter or solar (not even pre-wire). Most of the other ones we looked at had some nicer features and better dump system configurations.

We had the first issue with our Axis a few weeks ago when the 9V battery in a smoke detector needed to be replaced.
__________________
Axis 24.2 "was" tug'n a JK
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 AM   #5
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,012
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
Need advice...

I'm considering purchasing a 2016 24.1 model so I can travel with my 85 yr old father and small poodles The layout is perfect!

It's difficult for him to fly or travel in a car because of joint replacement issues. Other than joint issues, he is healthy as a horse. My dad is a retired farmer that owned travel trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes.

I'm a single female in my early 50s. I just retired after working 30 yrs in a high stress senior role. I own a hummer and sports cars. My Hummer is the biggest thing I have ever driven. I've never driven a motorhome and I'm a bit nervous.

We both live in central Florida. I do own an RV lot in key largo we could use.

I plan to use the RV to travel to our farm in Illinios, utilize my lot in the keys and explore the US.

Is the Thor Axis or Vegas a good unit to own? What is the good the bad and the UGLY! Thank you
We bought our 2016 Axis 24.1 in January...our ugly was due to an unscrupulous dealer robbing a part from our coach before it arrived at our dealer...problem fixed...we LOVE this coach !! All GOOD so far !!

Everyone will advise you to find a dealer you are comfortable with...most important...
On this forum you will meet several Florida Axis/Vegas owners who can guide you regarding dealers, etc.

have FUN !

K
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
Posts: 110
THOR #1670
I do not think you will have a hard time driving it, my wife usually drives our 24.1. Just remember that it is larger and heavier and takes a bit longer to come to a stop.

I would look on this forum and make notes on things that required warranty service with this unit. Before you take delivery, make sure you do a very diligent inspection of the unit, including minor cosmetic issues. Here are a few common issues I have seen:

Vehicle and house batteries (Harris batteries) seem to be problematic, I and many others have had to replace them soon after purchase.

You may need a front end alignment, I have had no problems but others have had problems.

The shower enclosure was poorly installed and sealed.

About half of my drawers would not stay latched.

The exterior trim was not fastened down correctly.

I am happy with my unit and I have had no serious problems. The more problems you can get resolved before you take possession, the better. The dealer will have more incentive to fix them .
__________________
srolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
DocMike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,636
THOR #2142
TaketheDive,

We got our 2016 Vegas 24.1 on 30May15. And I agree that a good Dealership makes all the difference in the world as there will be some blemishes and warts that will need to be dealt with. Below is our story!

THE BAD: We had several items we noted on the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) - get bevedfelker's Owners Manual it has a good one in it - fortunately all were taken care of by the Dealership, Camping World of Statesville NC...a great crew and I now have the parts manager - Nicole's - email address memorized.

Our unit had a Safety Recall on the Heater/AC, again taken care of by the Dealership.

There was a thread started here by a fellow Vegas owner (Oneal I believe) dealing with the transmission cable being improperly run too close to the Exhaust System. That too was taken care of thru the Dealership and a Ford Dealership.

A front end alignment was needed and after much correspondence Thor paid it. To help, at least for me, with the drivability I went to the Safe-T-Plus plant in Georgia to purchase the Safe-T-Plus have it installed (free install) at the plant. Now it's driving with just two fingers instead of two fisted driving.

My only real "UGLY" was the Harris Batteries in the Coach. Apparently they were at deaths doorstep when I got the unit and after three trips (with deep cycle charging) they would not hold a charge and were declared "Sulfate Dead". Then the finger pointing began: Harris said it was the WFCO charger's fault so Warranty DENIED (they even have a form letter already typed up for just this situation). WFCO said it was Harris Batteries fault so Warranty DENIED. Thor said they do not even warranty Coach Batteries. Bottom line after less than 5 months I had to purchase two new EXIDE Batteries out of pocket. I am still working with Thor on this one.

The GOOD is that the 24.1 has preformed well since the new batteries. We did the following MOD's to make it "Our" Vegas or as the DW calls her "Ms. Enterprise" (to boldly go...):
1. Screen to protect radiator, see thread this forum.
2. HUD (Heads Up Display), see thread this forum.
3. Computerized Unit with an Infortainment Center over sink, see thread this forum.
4. Swapped the couch for two Recliners , see threads this forum.
5. Installed outside solar powered motion detector, see thread this forum.
6. Stairwell cover to allow placement of pet bed out of the way, see thread this forum.
7. THE ARC shower rod (your new one should have this).
8. Spare Tire mount utilizing a Curt mount in the rear receiver, see thread this forum.
9. A fishing pole storage rack in the storage space under the driver's and passanger's seats, see thread this forum.
10. Securely Installed small gun safe in a secret place to store valuables when we are out of the RV.

Plans are to add a Tornado Black Tank Rinser, an exterior WiFi antenna, a foot rest in the co-pilot seat (DW is 4'10" and her feet don't touch the ground when seated), a storage system for the "stinky slinky" (sewer hose) plus some other cool stuff fellow RVer's will post on this Forum.

I hope you and your father have a great time traveling.

Doc
__________________
Sheree & Michael NCNG LTC(ret) with Munpi and Sheba (cat).
2016 Vegas 24.1 E350 5 speed "Ms. Enterprise", Bug-Guard Screen, Recliners, Infotainment Center, HUD, ARC Shower Rod, Safe-T-Plus, Curt SpareTire Mount,Tornado Black Tank Rinser, ext. WiFi Antenna, Roadmaster Tow Sys& Invisibrake.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:25 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Lots of great tips! Thank you!!! I'm so overwhelmed I had to take a break from my search.

Today I went to a show and saw the 2017 Vegas and went to another dealer to see two 2016 Axis. Interesting one 2016 had the old style windshield!

I really don't need the unit unit September. I'm just doing homework now. I found a 16 for $68 and the 17 for $78. I hope I can find a better deal on a 17...I would prefer zero carpet and the non air mattress sofa. Believe it or not, there are still new 2015s out there. Unfortunately, I don't want the larger windshield.

I'm retired so I can pretty much travel anywhere to pick up a unit.
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
Posts: 57
THOR #3973
Better Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
Lots of great tips! Thank you!!! I'm so overwhelmed I had to take a break from my search.

Today I went to a show and saw the 2017 Vegas and went to another dealer to see two 2016 Axis. Interesting one 2016 had the old style windshield!

I really don't need the unit unit September. I'm just doing homework now. I found a 16 for $68 and the 17 for $78. I hope I can find a better deal on a 17...I would prefer zero carpet and the non air mattress sofa. Believe it or not, there are still new 2015s out there. Unfortunately, I don't want the larger windshield.

I'm retired so I can pretty much travel anywhere to pick up a unit.
Our dealer here in central Wisconsin gave us a great deal on a fully loaded - all options included Vegas 24.1. $71,771 out-the-door including tax and all fees, full tank of gas, full tank of propane and included the front end alignment. 2017 unit should be here in mid-July.

We are so looking forward to picking it up. We've already started planning a 2 month east coast trip for September including the Hershey RV show, Washington D.C., a trip through the Shenandoah National Park, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and much more.
__________________
bolandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd View Post
Our dealer here in central Wisconsin gave us a great deal on a fully loaded - all options included Vegas 24.1. $71,771 out-the-door including tax and all fees, full tank of gas, full tank of propane and included the front end alignment. 2017 unit should be here in mid-July.

We are so looking forward to picking it up. We've already started planning a 2 month east coast trip for September including the Hershey RV show, Washington D.C., a trip through the Shenandoah National Park, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and much more.

That is a sweet deal!! I'm willing to travel. :-). Did they have any other 2016 units on the lot?

Enjoy your Vegas!! Sounds like a fun trip!!
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
Posts: 57
THOR #3973
Vegas Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
That is a sweet deal!! I'm willing to travel. :-). Did they have any other 2016 units on the lot?

Enjoy your Vegas!! Sounds like a fun trip!!
They just sold their last 24.1 recently. They have a 25.2 in stock.

Message me and I will forward the dealer info and salesman's name if you are interested in following up. We also got some great pricing from Total Value RV in Indiana, but decided to stay with the local dealer for serviceability.
__________________
bolandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
The only style that work for us would be the 24.1. :-).
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #13
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,012
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
The only style that work for us would be the 24.1. :-).
on RV Trader there is what appears to be an Axis 24.1 for sale by a private individual...in Lakeland
below is the sellers statement.

Like new, Used once, garage kept, selling due to health, located Lakeland Florida area. Please call with any questions. Contact Name Mr. West $72,000 Negotiable @ 863-899-4828. "Will not respond to Text"
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
on RV Trader there is what appears to be an Axis 24.1 for sale by a private individual...in Lakeland
below is the sellers statement.

Like new, Used once, garage kept, selling due to health, located Lakeland Florida area. Please call with any questions. Contact Name Mr. West $72,000 Negotiable @ 863-899-4828. "Will not respond to Text"

Thanks. I spoke with the couple. Last month they weren't very negotiable. The have a lot of money in the unit. I can get a brand new one for cheaper. I told her the price of 69k new and she suggested I go for it. Thankfully they have the unit with the smaller front window. I'm doing homework now, I don't need the unit until the fall.

I'm considering attending the RUV factory tour some Wednesday afternoon.
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:02 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
I've been in the 2017 Vegas. A new 2017 Axis just arrived at a dealer about 1.5 hours from here. I plan to take a look at it. Total Value RV shot me a pretty good deal in a 2017 ordered fresh.

I think I should wait...will be out of the country most of June and my dad is having a knee replacement in July. There will be no time for trips until late August or September.
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:40 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
Posts: 122
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
I've been in the 2017 Vegas. A new 2017 Axis just arrived at a dealer about 1.5 hours from here. I plan to take a look at it. Total Value RV shot me a pretty good deal in a 2017 ordered fresh.

I think I should wait...will be out of the country most of June and my dad is having a knee replacement in July. There will be no time for trips until late August or September.
September may be a great month to buy. Tail end of the season. I purchased my Vegas in October. My local camping world had a 2016 25.2, and other than the radio and a loose piece of weather stripping, it has been perfect. The 25.2 has a nice and roomy shower, should that be a factor for Dad. I also got the Safe-T-Plus installed at the factory near ATL and it drives very comfortably. Takes a little more lead time for turns and stopping, but not much more than a hummer. I priced this model online, then went and negotiated a purchase at my local CW, where I had seen this one on the lot. Note...every time I have taken it for a warranty check, they ask me if I bought there.... I suspect that makes a difference in their willingness to do warranty repairs. Good luck!
__________________
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:20 AM   #17
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,012
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
I've been in the 2017 Vegas. A new 2017 Axis just arrived at a dealer about 1.5 hours from here. I plan to take a look at it. Total Value RV shot me a pretty good deal in a 2017 ordered fresh.

I think I should wait...will be out of the country most of June and my dad is having a knee replacement in July. There will be no time for trips until late August or September.
How do you like the wood grain floor in the 2017 compared to the tile in the previous models? We had looked at the Ace, before buying the Axis, and that was something we did not, personally, care for.
With that said..there are many Ace owners out there...so it must be popular.
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
How do you like the wood grain floor in the 2017 compared to the tile in the previous models? We had looked at the Ace, before buying the Axis, and that was something we did not, personally, care for.
With that said..there are many Ace owners out there...so it must be popular.
The 2017 Vegas had the old style floor. I want to see the new style in the 2017 axis. I like the fact the carpeting is gone under the front seats. My dogs would think that carpet was their wee wee pad. If I pick up a 2016, I will need to have all carpeting removed.
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
How do you like the wood grain floor in the 2017 compared to the tile in the previous models? We had looked at the Ace, before buying the Axis, and that was something we did not, personally, care for.
With that said..there are many Ace owners out there...so it must be popular.


The 2017 Vegas had the old style floor. I want to see the new style in the 2017 axis. I like the fact the carpeting is gone under the front seats. My dogs would think that carpet was their wee wee pad. If I pick up a 2016, I will need to have all carpeting removed.
__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com View Post
September may be a great month to buy. Tail end of the season. I purchased my Vegas in October. My local camping world had a 2016 25.2, and other than the radio and a loose piece of weather stripping, it has been perfect. The 25.2 has a nice and roomy shower, should that be a factor for Dad. I also got the Safe-T-Plus installed at the factory near ATL and it drives very comfortably. Takes a little more lead time for turns and stopping, but not much more than a hummer. I priced this model online, then went and negotiated a purchase at my local CW, where I had seen this one on the lot. Note...every time I have taken it for a warranty check, they ask me if I bought there.... I suspect that makes a difference in their willingness to do warranty repairs. Good luck!
Thanks for your note. I love the shower in the 25.2. But I like the option of the twin beds and I prefer the slide in the living area. That's great to know about timing! They are blowing some of the 16s out now and I'm on the fence. I just found out about this RV a month ago. I know they have that mega RV show in Tampa around January. Wonder how pricing would be then.
__________________

__________________
TakeTheDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×