Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4101
No 12volt power

Hello everyone. Newby to forum. I have a 2005 four winds 5000, class C that I bought used 2 years ago. Bought from a widower that had no information for me. Needless to say, it's been a long learning curve. I recently bought and replaced the stock 1 stage charger/converter to a magnetek 7300, not because it went bad, but because of the 3stage charging. At the same time I replaced the dead house battery with a lifeline 12 volt deep cycle battery. Hooked everything up and no 12 volt power. The battery disconnect switch does not light up. Turn the generator on, lights work and battery disconnect light is on. Plug up to shore power, lights work & battery disconnect lights up. For some reason, no 12 volt power on just the battery. I've triple check all my connections to the new converter, all good. Any ideas

Old 04-22-2016, 04:10 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
I do not know if this is relevant, but I had very similar problems when I replaced my house batteries on my Vegas. It turns out that the circuit breaker in the battery area had tripped, I was not aware there was a breaker until some kind soul on this forum pointed it out.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

THOR #4101
I checked by the battery today, no breaker box by the battery . I only have one battery in an open iron frame. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
If you have a multimeter, or a test light, check for voltage at various points. I think your MH is the same as mine. The wire from the battery, in mine, runs from the battery to a circuit breaker under the bed, then to the battery disconnect solenoid then to the converter and the fuse block. The wiring under the bed is in a compartment on the passenger side, under the bed.

You did check the battery disconnect switch by the door?

Check that 12v power is present at each of the above points.

When not plugged in to 120vac power the converter is not in the circuit so it is unlikely to be the problem. However, the wiring in the area could be.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #5

THOR #4101
Tenbear, I brought the RV home over the weekend to narrow down the problem and it worked just fine. The first thing I did was try the battery disconnect switch and it turned on first time. Don't know why it wouldn't work before but it's good now. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #6

THOR #4117
Good news! Glad to hear it's working now.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #7

THOR #4117
A few more thoughts.

I replaced my converter a few years ago with a PD 9260. It can deliver a much larger charging current than the old Magnetek converter. I replaced the converter to battery wire with # 4 AWG. I think the old wire was #8. I also replaced the breaker under the bed with a higher current rating. You might consider doing the same.