Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #2859
No power when connected to shore power

I have a new 2016 palazzo. My first attempt to connect to 30 amp shore power at my house. Initial there was a hum of the converter, then it stop sounded like a breaker popped in the unit. Waited 30 min while looking for breaker to reset. Reconnected but nothing. Yes I have power thru the cord. Any suggestions, I am sure there is a simple fix, I am just new to this motor coach??? Help, please.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
We had a similar issue with our 2016 ACE 29.3. Turns out the wiring to the transfer switch burned through. We had 115 if we ran the generator and we had 12 volts, but no shore power. Popped the hatch on the electrical components (which is under the bed) and noticed that the transfer switch box was melted. The wires inside were burned to a crisp.

RV is in the shop having this fixed. Nothing like an electrical fire under your bed to rattle your confidence.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #3

THOR #1249
There are usually some breakers on your converter panel. I would guess you have checked those. Also, there is a auto transfer switch for genny vs shore power to check.
Good luck.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #4

THOR #2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmi View Post
We had a similar issue with our 2016 ACE 29.3. Turns out the wiring to the transfer switch burned through. We had 115 if we ran the generator and we had 12 volts, but no shore power. Popped the hatch on the electrical components (which is under the bed) and noticed that the transfer switch box was melted. The wires inside were burned to a crisp.

RV is in the shop having this fixed. Nothing like an electrical fire under your bed to rattle your confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
There are usually some breakers on your converter panel. I would guess you have checked those. Also, there is a auto transfer switch for genny vs shore power to check.
Good luck.
Yes checked the converter, anybody know the location of the auto transfer switch on the 2016 Plazzo 36.1? I too have 12v and genny power, just no shore, hope box is not burnt!!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
What power do you not have, 110 vac or 12vdc or both?

I assume you are talking about an inverter not a converter! I have had this 2013 Palazzo 33.1 for only about 3 months so I am still learning about the line, but I know from previous RVs that model lines usually share a lot of common characteristics. You should find your electric compartment and get to know your inverter, probably a Magnum 2kw model.
Regardless of model there is a reset switch and an indicator light that can mean different things depending on how fast it blinks and maybe what the color means! Hopefully,you plugged it into a proper 30 amp RV receptacle and you used a proper 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone.

If you run the generator do you have any power? if so is it 110vac or 12vdc or both?

If you need to you can trace the power cord from where it comes into the RV to the transfer switch. My model has a removable power cord so I traced inside from the receptacle until I found the transfer switch. In my case it was in the cabinet under the TV in the center of the RV. I had to unscrew the cabinet cover in the bathroom and follow the wire from the back of the receptacle toward the front of the coach. The next cabinet was in the center of the RV and viola' there was the transfer switch. Transfer switches do fail, but not often as they are fairly simple. I have never run across one that had any user operated switches or breakers!

Good luck, hope this helps!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:13 AM   #6

THOR #2859
I have 12v and 110v from the inverter and the genny works properly. I have a proper connection with correct dogbone 50 amp down to 30 amp plugged in to a 30amp RV receptacle. Yes I have a magnum inverter, and it works. If I understand things right, the inverter takes 12v to 110v. A converter takes 110v to 12v, that works when running the genny. The first time I connected to shore power there was power to the converter ( a rather loud hum) but by the time a got in the motor coach a fault light was on and then a pop and no more power. Disconnected and began a search for a reset, found the reset on the inverter, no problem, inverter working, battery resets not tripped, no breakers tripped at the panel found at the foot of the bed. Checked with a meter at the shore cord RV end, correct voltage, but nothing beyond into the coach. No wiring diagram to know how it runs from there, but has to be a 50 amp breaker some where or it runs to the auto transfer switch and there is a fault at that point ( no transfer from genny to share). I think I found your original post earlier when doing a search on this problem. I have not been able to locate the ATS yet. Is this something I can call Thor about? New owner so I don't know what I can expect in the way of help over the phone.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searsb View Post
I have 12v and 110v from the inverter and the genny works properly. I have a proper connection with correct dogbone 50 amp down to 30 amp plugged in to a 30amp RV receptacle. Yes I have a magnum inverter, and it works. If I understand things right, the inverter takes 12v to 110v. A converter takes 110v to 12v, that works when running the genny. The first time I connected to shore power there was power to the converter ( a rather loud hum) but by the time a got in the motor coach a fault light was on and then a pop and no more power. Disconnected and began a search for a reset, found the reset on the inverter, no problem, inverter working, battery resets not tripped, no breakers tripped at the panel found at the foot of the bed. Checked with a meter at the shore cord RV end, correct voltage, but nothing beyond into the coach. No wiring diagram to know how it runs from there, but has to be a 50 amp breaker some where or it runs to the auto transfer switch and there is a fault at that point ( no transfer from genny to share). I think I found your original post earlier when doing a search on this problem. I have not been able to locate the ATS yet. Is this something I can call Thor about? New owner so I don't know what I can expect in the way of help over the phone.
Yes you can call Thor about the problem. It may take a few minutes to get through to a person but they can walk you through some initial troubleshooting and isolate the problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
I think Dave has given you good advice. You have done what you could to this point and I would call Thor for some added help.
Good luck, let us know what you find out!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

THOR #2859
Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted on what I discover. Started the genny this am just to make sure that still functioned as I discribed, it did. Heard the click of the transfer switch after starting the genny not enough to locate exactly, but in the back somewhere. Tried shore power just to see if switch would activate, nothing happened. We will see what a Thor tech has to say!
Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not sure if it helps but my ATS is on the ceiling of the storage compartment that houses the 50 amp shore connection.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #11

THOR #2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Not sure if it helps but my ATS is on the ceiling of the storage compartment that houses the 50 amp shore connection.
Thanks Dave, my connection is not in a compartment but on the exterior behind the driver side rear wheels. I have traced it to the interior of the coach, appears to be entering under the bed, which might make sense with that being the location of the 110vac breaker panel, but no sign of a transfer switch:
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Searsb:
Have you contacted Thor customer service yet and asked them for an electrical schematic for your VIN. I have one for my Vegas and it shows exactly where the transfer switch is (under the passenger side bed)?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searsb View Post
Thanks Dave, my connection is not in a compartment but on the exterior behind the driver side rear wheels. I have traced it to the interior of the coach, appears to be entering under the bed, which might make sense with that being the location of the 110vac breaker panel, but no sign of a transfer switch:
I looked at the Palazzo Owner's Manual. Do you have the Power Control System? If so you may not have an ATS because, as I read it, the PCS performs the same function.

It is possible you may be looking for something that does not exist.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #14

THOR #2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I looked at the Palazzo Owner's Manual. Do you have the Power Control System? If so you may not have an ATS because, as I read it, the PCS performs the same function.

It is possible you may be looking for something that does not exist.
Going thru the packet of info in the new owners bag found a manual on the transfer switch, wiring diagram and suggested location( under bed). Not at the coach at this time so I haven't checked any further. Calling Thor with the FIN and asking for a schematic is my next step.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #15

THOR #2859
Here is an update:
Called Thor customer support, was told the transfer switch was indeed under the bed, I had looked 3-4 times for it there. Was not told that to access it you have to extend the slide half way out and remove the main panel to have room to work!
I discovered when testing the switch that the relay connecting the shore power was locked and the coil fried. Called Thor back, explained to them what I had found, they sent out a new transfer switch overnight air, they were very helpful and understanding.
Of course I realize, that with me doing all the work they are not having to reimburse a dealer for labor, and no fire damage, and no complaints about the safety issues. But I would rather know it's done right and I can fix it now not in 3 wks before the dealer could even get it in to diagnosis the problem, not to mention the delay to order the part and then fix it.
Now, the question that may need to be asked is why the transfer switch failed so early and why so many multiple failures?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #5409
I installed new ATS switch. problem. Generator works. Power on generator switch great NO volts coming in on shore side. Fuses are good. Nothing burnt
Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

THOR #2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codywayne View Post
I installed new ATS switch. problem. Generator works. Power on generator switch great NO volts coming in on shore side. Fuses are good. Nothing burnt
Since you found this thread you know I had the same or similar problem with my new Palazzo and had to replace the ATS switch as you did, however that did solve my problem.
When you say you have no voltage from shore power, do you mean after the ATS or to the ATS? You have probably checked this already, but double check your connection at the receptacle your plugging into. My breaker was tripped at the source from where I switched it off when working on replacing my ATS and I had failed to reset it. I THOUGHT I still had a problem till a started retracing the voltage back. MAybe?
Old 09-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #5409
Found the problem in the inlet plug outside where shore plugs into RV. After taking the inlet totally apart found a melted wire. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #19

THOR #2859
Quote:
Found the problem in the inlet plug outside where shore plugs into RV. After taking the inlet totally apart found a melted wire. Thanks for your reply.
Glad you located the problem,wonder why the melted wire?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #20

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Had the same problem. I believe the wire was loose from the factory causing high amps and to burn in to. Camping World replaced the receptacle, no problems since.
They also replaced my ATS at the same time which I don't believe was the problem. At least it was covered under warranty.