Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #11880
Onan 5500 Generator

While on a cross country trip our Onan gas 5500 Generator stopped working, not sure why it stopped, but it will not restart. Full tank of gas, good batteries, power to the generator, no cranking, just the sound of the fuel pump. Just picked it up from servicing at the RV dealer and they couldn't figure it out either. They said I need to take it to Onan for service, under warranty. There is no service center close by and we would have to leave it again for awhile. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix.

Thanks

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3

paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
I know on my Onan 4000 there is a circuit breaker reset on the generator itself. I had the same issue..but found the hard to see reset switch (CB) and after reset I was good to go...
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but my 5500 had to be rebuilt at the Onan plant in Louisville. Internal brushes and other electrical producing parts completely failed. That’s not to say that yours has the same issue...have you checked the fuel filter and fuel line to see if it’s getting fuel? If it’s not a fuel and/or ignition issue, I would definitely take it to Onan. Don’t think I’d trust a dealer to work on it and fix it right. By the way, I had them take my generator out to fix it; drove the motorhome back to the house. When it was done, they called me and I drove back up there and they reinstalled it. But, I only live about an hour and a half away.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

THOR #11880
Sounds like a good idea, I will see if I can come by and have them remove it if it's long term work. Thanks

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3

Old 11-28-2018, 02:07 AM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I am not familiar with your coach, but the key items you mentioned were: you have power to the generator (do you mean there is 12VDC somewhere on the generator like on the started solenoid?......and “it does not crank”.

If the starter motor does not crank you need to find out why. Generators start off coach batteries so check the typical 100 Amp breaker (normally mounted somewhere neear the coach batteries on many coaches) is not tripped.
Can you crank it from the start switch on the generator if the one in the coach does not work? Carefully check for clean tight electrical connections on all the starter electrical path connections (i.e., bad ground connection etc). Maybe just a bad starter motor?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:48 AM   #6

THOR #11880
Thanks, Yes there is power from the coach to the Generator. It will not crank, the generator is mounted in the motorhome so I can't get to the starter to check it. I had it in for servicing at the dealer and they think its something internal. It only has 43 hours on it. I need to take it to an Onan service center.

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3

Old 11-28-2018, 03:02 AM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I know you said the fuel pump was working so there is 12VDC to that pump but that is a very low current device compared with the starter motor. There would be a much larger gauge wire to the starter motor. If you can't get access it makes doing your own trouble shooting very difficult. Hope it is something simple (low cost) for you.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Florida
THOR #10918
Onan 5500 Generator

My generator quit working at around 25 hours. Initially it was intermittent and then it finally quit completely. Traveled all the way out west and half way back before it started to work and hasn't failed since. What I did was pull the cover off the generator and measured the voltage at the terminal,,,solid 12 volts. Tried flicking the switch on and off a few times and then reset the breaker on the side. And for whatever reason it started working. I also learned that the flashing light on the interior control panel is actually sending a trouble code. Mine was showing a code of 57 which made no sense to Onan. Perhaps yours is flashing a code that might help you isolate the problem. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 AM   #9

THOR #11880
Thanks. Its still under Warranty, so it is mostly the inconvenience of taking it to the Onan service center which is not close by.

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3

Old 11-28-2018, 04:15 AM   #10

THOR #11880
I had a fault code 32.

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3

Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #11

THOR #11880
Onan update

We finally took our RV to the Cummins Onan Service center in West Sacramento and they were really great. They found a harness that was pinched during assembly and replaced it. They took us in on short notice and had it fixed in two days. Everyone there was outstanding. Great place to go if you have diesel or generator issues.

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3