Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Jersey
THOR #13656
One A/C or two?

OK, Im shopping for a New or used Class C... and wanted to know if you all think that it's truly important to get two A/C units (Front and Back 11k BTU's) or is it ok to just get one in the front (15k BTU's)?

Please keep in mind that both are vented. and No I don't know in what reagion I'll be camping... The plan is to travel all around the US! Will one 15k in the front be enough to cool down the bedroom in the rear of a 30 foot Class C in the South?

All thoughts are welcome?

RJ

Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
depends really on what 'your' definition of 'cool' is for you...none of us can really answer that, as some get 'hot' when it's on 75 degrees, and others of us not until 90...

my thought, for me, is that I value 'air movement' more than just temperature. Small fans throughout the coach, no matter the size or length of the coach, is better than just depending on a single, or two, air conditioners. The roof units will always strain when there is very high temps outside, high humidity, and you are not able to be in the shade. Even those of us with two units sometimes don't get 'cool enough', at times...it's the nature of the game.

If, though, you have an option, certainly always go for two - you don't have to use both, but you will have them if you do. You'll also find that most any Class C coach will probably not have two, but see what you can find. Most two air conditioner coaches are also 50amp RVs, so if you're mostly at 30amp campgrounds and rv parks, you might not get to use both of them anyway...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
This has been a big discussion here on the Forum.

IMO if you have a 25 - 26 foot RV then one AC is enough (Unless your one of those people that need 70 deg RV in the summertime).

But once you get around 27 - 28+ foot look for TWO AC units (IMO). Esp if you plan on being someplace hot in the summertime.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I found in our 24TX one 13.5 AC, rear mounted, ducted to the front, was not enough when the sun beat on the RV and the temps were in the 90's or 100. I added a second 13.5, matching the one already on the roof, to the front. Again, I am not a lover of heat, so the second AC for us is important. Others may do fine with one.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Our 12 year old Class C 28' MH has one AC. We have been to 47 states during that time, including all the southern states except Florida, and never had a problem with having only one AC. I guess maybe we like being warm at night???
Old 11-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionmark View Post
.....cut....

All thoughts are welcome?

RJ
Every single RV I’ve owned or rented that had one A/C has struggled to stay “cool” in summer along the Gulf Coast when parked in the sun. Everything else being the same, I’d take 2 X 11,000s over one 15,000 if that’s an option.

I don’t know which units you are comparing, but some now have this 2 A/C option which operates on 30-Amp service from the factory. They use 2 high efficiency 11,000 BTU/hr A/Cs which pull about 10 Amps each under normal operating conditions. I think this twin A/C setup may become more popular in the 26~30 foot range because it shouldn’t add as much cost as those with 50-Amp service.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:44 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Another thing which might influence your decision is do you tow a car. If you are staying on site or touring in your motorhome, it may be too warm. Since we tow a car, and live in the north, your case may be much different than ours???
Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I live by the "1 is none, 2 is one" theory in most everything. Get two and you will never regret it. If for no other reason than a back up if one fails. In most cases where the buyers were facing the same call you are now, those that didn't regretted it and spend 4 times that much to install a second unit. Instead of reading the forums about 1 or 2 A/C's from the start, search the forums about "not cooling enough". Many with one unit can't get inside temps below 85. Go two or go bust.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

THOR #13656
Yuo guys are awesome... and have given me alot to think about. I am tilting towards two but lets see if I can find what we want used (Model, color and now with two A/C's etc)... lol?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Don't tilt towards it...fall like a rock onto it. Get two...unless you are under 22 feet...period. "Help...I've fallen and can't get up". Sing this song in head..."It Takes Twoooo, Baby...It Takes Twoooo, Baby...Front and Back!!".
Old 11-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Buy 2...it's nice to be able to run only 1 and adjust airflow by closing /opening ducts to direct air to where it's needed. As example I often run the rear when we sit in the front and run the front when we go to bed. That makes it much quieter. I can always run both when necessary.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 PM   #12

THOR #13656
Installing second A/C

Has anyone here ever added a second A/C unit after purchased? If so, why it difficult and what might it have cost?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #13

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I added the second unit to the rear vent on my ACE 29.3 . Best think I ever did.
With the full slide the one unit would run constantly. With two 15,000 btu units it like a ice box (see first pic white unit is the second)
The difficult part was getting the power to the unit. I was able to route it thru the cabinets tru the ceiling and out to exterior but it took me 4 hours... and you will have to either upgrade your service from 30 to 50 amp or add a additional dedicated plug to the exterior for the second unit. I did a dedicated 20 amp extra plug on the exterior. (See second pic)
If the option was offered I would have had it added when I first bought it.
Cost was the under a 1000 for material but that's with no labor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	14007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	14008  

Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Has anyone here ever added a second A/C unit after purchased? If so, why it difficult and what might it have cost?

As I said earlier in this thread, our 24TX came with a single 13500 AC/Heat Pump rear mounted, ducted to the front. We found it to be IMO inadequate and added a matching unit in front, ducted into the already existing ductwork. I had the dealer do it, so difficulty in the installation, only affected me in labor hours. I could have saved some dollars, by going with a smaller unit, or eliminating the heat pump, but I wanted two matching units, both for functionality and appearance. I really wish two were offered as an option by the manufacturer. Having that second AC makes a huge difference for comfort. To power the second AC they mounted a second 30 amp plug next to the existing one, I use two 30 plugs to a Y connector to a 50 amp cable, so I just plug into the 50 amp service at any park.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have a 29 ft class A with one AC. I was about to tackle adding a second unit but I tried some of the ideas in this forum to make sure my one unit was working as best it could. I found the baffle to be out of place and straightened it. That alone made a huge improvement. Then I added an outlet to the cover and that also helped. Finally, I learned to keep the bedroom closed off during the day if we aren’t going to be in it. I’m now quite well satisfied with what I have. 100 degrees in full sun and I can keep the whole coach in the high 70s. Better with the bedroom closed off. It’ll cool down very quickly after the sun goes down or if you can get any shade at all. Oh and I cover the windshield if I’m in full sun. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Just get 2 A/C's and be done.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #17

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
In our "SOB" coach have 2 15's, should have sprung for the third one..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
If you have the option - always go for two AC's (or 3 if your looking at a 40+ foot DP).

But on the smaller floor plans only one AC may be available from the factory.

Many Treads on this forum on making ONE AC work decent for many folks. I think one AC works fine for me on my 27 footer. But you have to actively manage your inside temps and be pro-active.

And other have added a 2nd AC in the bedroom. If mine was any longer I would go this route.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #19

State: Louisiana
THOR #2499
Here in Louisiana internal temp of my 31' Class C went to 87 with AC running nonstop. Had a second AC installed in the bedroom with independent 120v plug to be powered by 120v shore power. No issues now.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #20

State: Louisiana
THOR #2499
Quote:
My install was $1600. Independent plug to 120v shore power.