Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 02:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #10032
Pre wired for 2nd ac ?

Bought a Thor Quantum PD31 a couple of months ago. Never thought to ask if it was premiered for a second AC ? Anyone know ?

Old 12-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If your coach is 30amp then no it’s not wired. Dual AC requires 50 amp service and larger generator. You can install a second AC, many people have, but you would need to run wiring and use a separate plug to power, you could not run both from generator.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
THOR #7741
My coach, Thor Hurricane 31D, is a 30amp system, but came prewired for a 2nd AC Unit in the bedroom.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Your 30 amp service will not support a second AC, but you can still add it. I had a second AC put in our Gemini, tech wired it to a second 30 amp outlet on the side of the motorhome next to the existing one. I use a Y connector off the two 30 amp outlets on the coach, to a single 50 amp lead, and plug into 50 amp service. Works like a charm. You could also run two 30 amp leads, one plugged into 30 amp service, the other through an adaptor to the 50 amp service. We used both AC's in 97 degree heat, inside stayed a cool 71 degrees, and both AC's were still cycling. HUGE improvement.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Your 30 amp service will not support a second AC, but you can still add it. I had a second AC put in our Gemini, tech wired it to a second 30 amp outlet on the side of the motorhome next to the existing one. I use a Y connector off the two 30 amp outlets on the coach, to a single 50 amp lead, and plug into 50 amp service. Works like a charm. You could also run two 30 amp leads, one plugged into 30 amp service, the other through an adaptor to the 50 amp service. We used both AC's in 97 degree heat, inside stayed a cool 71 degrees, and both AC's were still cycling. HUGE improvement.
Agreed. Was told if we install the second unit we could only run one at a time, or like you said, have a dedicated power line run for the second unit.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Jayco runs two 11,000 BTU/hr A/Cs with 30-Amp service and 4-kw generator.

Installing a second line for electrical power source should be cheaper, but doesn't address running both A/Cs from generator. I'd check the Jayco set up at one of their dealers to see if it works OK before considering seriously.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Running the 2nd AC from the generator wasn't something I was after. If we are underway, I can run the back one off the generator, and the dash air works to keep the front cool, but we have run in 100 degree temps, and dash air is all we needed to stay comfortable, since no one is in the rear while we are rolling. Once stopped we are virtually always in an RV park with power available so running both AC's when necessary is possible. We virtually never dry camp, and if we did, it sure wouldn't be where it was 100 degrees, just not the way we use our coach. Also we are running two 13500 AC's and heat pumps. All depends on how you use your coach, for our use what I had done works great for us.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got two a/c units on a 30 amp service...
13,500K up front; but just a 5K in the back...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by erice1098 View Post
My coach, Thor Hurricane 31D, is a 30amp system, but came prewired for a 2nd AC Unit in the bedroom.
how do you tell if hurricane is prewired for rear a/c?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
I added a second a/c to my Axis 25.2 and just ran separate power. I plug the main power into the 30 amp and the second a/c into the 20 amp when at the CG.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You can spring for two 11K BTU's and run them on the existing 30 amps. Sell the one you remove and the cost would be under $1,000. Two 11K's would draw around 2200W nominal, surging at 3200W if both started up at same time, in the rare event this happened. I would guess your generator is 4000W?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Many people run 2 A/C's off a 30 amp service. Don't know why the haven't jumped in here yet. You are just limited to that load only pluse some lights and a computer. Two 13.5 A/C's draw about 26 amps.

If it is prewired it will have a breaker in the panel. You should see two 20 amp breakers marked A/C
Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #13

THOR #11130
13.5 will surge at 2800W. 30A will not handle two of them.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #14

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
13.5 will surge at 2800W. 30A will not handle two of them.
I have never tried it because I don't have two. As an electrician I do know that a 13.5 draws about 12 to 13 amps when on a good electric supply and by the math a 30 amp breaker will hold. I guess you'll have to take it up with the Many, Many owners that say they do it all the time.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by patric View Post
how do you tell if hurricane is prewired for rear a/c?
Remove the plastic surround from your rear vent. If it is wired you will see the wires. But, don't confuse 12v wires that may be there for a fan. The a/c wires will most likely be 12/2 probably romax.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #16

THOR #11130
It's the surge, not the nominal rate, that prevents it...I think!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'll add my two cents : ) from a lot of experience:

no, the surge does not - as you are assuming by your 'calculations' that BOTH are coming on at the exact same time, which never happens. Many of us, again, as said many, many times, run BOTH roof a/c units quite nicely on 30amps quite often.... it's not the 'naysay' that many have continued to spread across these forums....it's just not true.

I certainly understand that folks 'hear' things said from others whom they assume 'know' what they're talking about, but even those who continue to spread this 'rumor' are not as knowledgeable about electricity as they should be... even campground owners sometimes fall into this same lot, even though we RVrs, ourselves, know what we can really do, even if the campground owner tells us we 'can't'...

30amps is 30amps, plain and simple. It, in itself, does not preclude anyone from using and running multiple appliances and devices all at the same time. It is simply 120v power, with a limit of 30amps of constant 'usage'. The breaker 'amp' size in the equation is simply a protection against overheating wires that were not designed for more that amount of power, or 'heat', at least not on a constant basis.

You can even have a total of 100amps of appliances and devices on your coach, like some of us do, with 50amp service, and yet successfully plug into and use a simple 30amp RV service outlet.
You are not going to run everything at the same time. You are going to use what you 'need', and everything that the breaker 'allows', all at once, until it trips.
The trip simply says: "I'm overheating, you are using too many things right now, please turn something off, then reset me and I'll be happy to continue providing you 120v power"...
You could be running BOTH air conditioners for 12 hours straight, then suddenly the breaker trips. Is it the breaker's fault? The campground's fault? Your RV's fault? The air conditioner's fault? NO.

It is YOUR fault. (I'm saying that nicely, though) : )

The RV owner is the only one in control of how 'much' is to be powered, all at the same time. Likely, in this case, while both air conditioners were running successfully for hours, both at the same time, someone decided to ALSO make POPCORN in the microwave!
The breaker tripping is just a reminder that you may not have that much 'power' to use.

The exact same thing can happen to even the largest 50amp RV service coaches... just because you have 100amps of 120v power available, you can STILL trip the breaker by trying to do 'too much' all at the same time, especially during the heat of the summer. You can run BOTH roof airs, make some microwave popcorn, watch satellite tv, charge your Devices, and have the Battery Charger doing it's job, but alas, the moment the Electric Water Heater element suddenly kicks on, everything goes DARK!
It happens even for those of us with much more amperage demands - so it's not 'amps' that's any issue, it's how 'much' you want to do at the same time, no matter what 'size' outlet breaker you are plugged into.
It's about managing your power usage, not about whether a 30amp outlet 'can't' power both of your roof a/c units.... it can.

Specifically, for two roof air conditioners to run, you must turn both of them on, by their thermostats - of course. When you turn the first one on, it will already be in momentum to start the fan, and eventually the compressor, when you then reach to start the second a/c unit. Neither will be 'starting' at the same time.

Someone may use the argument, though, that if your a/c units were both on, when the shore power or generator power is lost, both would still be in the 'ready' mode on their thermostats, which is true.
IF you then have shore or generator power restored, both would seem to want then to come on at the same time, right?
That could happen, though I believe that neither would actually have their compressor come on at exactly the same time as the other, but let's assume they did - the 'worse' thing that would happen is either the shore power breaker could trip, or the generator breaker could trip. That's exactly the breaker's job, and it would be a one-time occurrence, not a regular issue.

There are certainly different scenarios for so many of the different camping situations that all of us are in, at any given moment, and yes, breakers can trip, but we should not jump to conclusions as to why this would necessarily effect EVERY rv...

for instance, several times when we pulled into a park and hooked up, wanting to run both roof airs, the breaker would eventually trip, within 5 or 10 minutes, or even sooner, with nothing else much in play. Knowing that 30amps can easily handle both a/c units running at the same time, and since my own Main Panel's breaker did not trip first, my quick assumption was that the park's SHORE POWER BREAKER was weak. Meaning that it was not handling the 30amps as it should, as was tripping prematurely.
At one park, the owner easily replaced the 30amp breaker with a new one, and was amazed that we 'somehow' were able to run both a/c units at the same time. He had also bought into the 'rumors'.
At another park, the manager thought that I was a little 'off', as he'd heard that NO ONE could run two roof airs off his 30amp shore power, but eventually gave in to my explanation, if nothing more than to appease me, and maybe prove his own theory out, and replaced the breaker with a new one. Voila, back in business! both a/c units ran the rest of the stay, and with adding other items, fans, and a little battery charging along the way. He was confused. I still don't think he, himself, believed it.

[some may also confuse this 'amps' topic with one of 'low voltage', but the two are not the same - that's a different story for another time] : )

Have fun, travel, plug in, enjoy! : )

(don't listen to those who say you 'can't', but those who say you CAN!)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #18

THOR #11130
"which never happens"..."That could happen"..."wanting to run both roof airs, the breaker would eventually trip"

Make up your mind and don't call people wrong just because they don't adhere to your theories. Two 13.5's on 30A is not smart...it's roulette and not designed to work like that. I'm still searching for your "many of us". Call them in.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Start-up current on A/Cs ranges from about 40 to 60 Amps (some even higher), but that’s for a very short period of a few seconds or less that will not trip a good 30-Amp breaker. Highest current (LRA) is for even less time, and starts to go down as soon as compressor starts to spin up.

You should be able to run two 13,500 BTU/hr A/Cs on 30 Amps as long as they are high efficiency units and don’t start simultaneously, and not much else is on at same time. Easy solution is to base load one A/C by setting temperature really cold so it doesn’t cycle on and off. You can also add a soft start (or two), which should help most if running two A/Cs with limited generator capacity. On shore power I wouldn’t spend the cash unless it was actually needed.

None of this is black and white, so common sense has to be used. Obviously, if parked in the dessert near Death Valley in July, the A/Cs will draw more current. Likewise, if campground voltage is low, A/Cs will draw more current. It’s all predictable if one knows what to look for.

For mid-size motorhomes, going with two high efficiency 11,000 BTU/hr A/Cs is a safe bet. Various manufacturers including Thor are offering that option with 30-Amp service and 4,000-Watt Onan. They do include an automated energy management system, but I expect much of that can be done manually if necessary.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:43 AM   #20

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"which never happens"..."That could happen"..."wanting to run both roof airs, the breaker would eventually trip"

Make up your mind and don't call people wrong just because they don't adhere to your theories. Two 13.5's on 30A is not smart...it's roulette and not designed to work like that. I'm still searching for your "many of us". Call them in.
Go to Forest River Forums and do a search. Much more lively forum.