Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane
State: New Jersey
THOR #4899
2006 Four Winds Hurricane

Getting close to buying my first RV. Originally was thinking of a Vegas\Axis model but I think that might be too small for what I need. Lots of tailgating, a few trips with 6 people or so.

So I am thinking of starting off with a Four Winds Hurricane, 2006 with less than 30k miles.

A few questions:

1) Anyhow know how these models are holding up over time? (We are having a full inspection done).

2) This one is strange and don't laugh at me...how easy are these to drive? Never drove a 34 foot truck before. 26 feet is probably the largest I have driven. What is the best way to learn? Buy it and figure it out on the ride home?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
If you have driven a 26 ft truck you have the concept that you only get to use the mirrors to see behind, and cameras if so equipped Take it to a large parking lot an practice with some orange cones. Also is a good time to get hand signals between driver and passenger. Rule I always go by,,,,if I can't see people in my mirror, I don't move the coach. It's not bad learning to drive, take your time and use the mirrors. Also the height of the coach has to be a concern, with trees, cable lines etc. Good luck! Practice!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
We started with a used 2000 For Winds Infinity with 24K miles in early 2012... It had less problems in the almost 3 years we had it than my 2014 Hurricane has had already... Only one significant repair (chassis electrical). Certainly do an inspection and make sure everything is working.

As for driving - its a billboard... lol.. No substitute for driving and getting used to it. Wind conditions matter and expect to drive slower than you would in same conditions in car. I found getting used to judging the lanes/width was most challenging, but didn't take long to get comfortable with it... And in 'close quarters' the tail swings out wide in turns... only took once to learn that lesson... The Class A's relly don't have a bad turning circle... I can get in/out of most gas stations easily (takes a little more thought on placement when towing the toad '4 down' - as that takes reverse out of the equation...)
Now have 15K+ miles in a 30' and 33" rig... 5K of which was towing a Wrangler behind me...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
I went to the local commuter train station parking lot and set up cones too. They are usually very empty. I drove around the lanes, tight turns, back ups, parking, lane changing drive between the lines. A different weekend I took the wife did the same practice. And we had a lunch. Why not its a a motor home.

Another site if you live near a small airport. Some will have a decent size parking lot to practice.

I chose these over a shopping center because on weekends they are usually empty and devoid of extra obstacles.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:06 AM   #5

THOR #4899
These are great suggestions, I will definitely be hitting up the parking lot for practice right after the purchase.

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #6

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Mine is a 2006

Mine is a Four Winds Hurricane 31D with over 65000 miles on it. No complaints. see my Sig
Mel_B
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #7

THOR #4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Mine is a Four Winds Hurricane 31D with over 65000 miles on it. No complaints. see my Sig
Mel_B
Thank you.

Love your blog, really good info there. Re-upholstery on the dinette is a great idea. I was looking at a unit now that needs a new dinette. Your idea makes much more sense.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:37 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Good suggestions here. When considering any used RV, check the date on the tires. RV tires rarely wear out, but they do succumb to age before you think they should. Remember to allow for replacing the tires as you project ownership costs.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #9

THOR #4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Good suggestions here. When considering any used RV, check the date on the tires. RV tires rarely wear out, but they do succumb to age before you think they should. Remember to allow for replacing the tires as you project ownership costs.
Thank you, I am definitely factoring that in. Seeing exactly what you described. The 30k mileage mark means new tires more because of the age of the RV and less because there is no tread left.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #10

THOR #4899
I am now trying to get a 2005 Hurricane with 3 slides, 34 foot model.

Hope to have an inspection done this week. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

THOR #4899
Can anyone provide thoughts \ suggestions on RV financing? Good Sam and a lot of the other online options I have looked at won't finance a used RV older than a 2008 model.

I am looking to purchase this 2005 model...I can probably go to my bank and do a personal loan but curious to see what others have done.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #12

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Maybe "Marine One"will do it for you. Worth a try.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
My previous RV was about 10 years old when I bought it. I used a local credit union that was new to me... Had the best rate - and willing to finance a rig that age.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
My previous RV was about 10 years old when I bought it. I used a local credit union that was new to me... Had the best rate - and willing to finance a rig that age.
I as well have used a credit union for financing... normally are more lenient on year models than conventional lenders.

And with a little practice you should have no issues getting around with a 34', Just watch the tail swing.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:31 AM   #15

THOR #4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I as well have used a credit union for financing... normally are more lenient on year models than conventional lenders.

And with a little practice you should have no issues getting around with a 34', Just watch the tail swing.
Thank you!

The financing part is getting frustrating, credit union is a good idea.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #16

THOR #4899
Thanks again everyone. I ended up with a 2007 Four Winds Hurricane 33H. Closing on it this week. Everyone here has been a really big help.