Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Smile Owners who LIKE their coach

Back in June we bought a 2017 Windsport 29M, our previous coach was a 2008 Damon Tuscany 41' DP.

We owned the Tuscany for about 5 years and only had a couple of minor problems which were easy fixes that I did myself. A week after buying our Windsport the freeze sensor on the rear AC went bad, quick trip to the dealer and about an hour later I drove off happy.

When we started looking for a new coach I could have purchased anything I chose, I chose Thor because of the trouble free Tuscany and they had a floor plan we liked. I am Very Happy we the choice we made. Is our coach perfect, NO! I have added a foam topper to the mattress, changed out two of the tvs, added a carbon filtration system to the water, glued the loose backsplash next to the stove back on, and added a wall console on the passenger side for my wife. I also did the CHF front and rear along with adding a cold air intake to the engine. Messing with our coach is my therapy, keeps me occupied doing something I enjoy.

Thanks to some great ideas I have learned, from some very smart people on this forum, I have several other projects for our coach in mind. Am I doing the work because I have a bad coach, no, I'm doing it because I love our coach and I am making it fit better for us.

We looked at several coaches before buying our Windsport, we've looked at several since. We are both happy with the choice we made and would make the same choice again!!!

Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL I had also started a thread like this so I'm copying my post here:
This was mentioned in a different thread (here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...html#post51527 ) so I figured I'd start it.

Perhaps we can even have a suggested format:

Coach: 2014 Thor Axis 24.1
Owners: Family of 3 (two of us and son in high school)
Usage: Approx: Monthly camping trips in the summer and some tailgating and usually one week-long trip sometime in the summer
Miles on Coach at present: ~10,000
Do you pull a toad: Yes either my wife's Escape or my C-Max
Mileage: We get around 8 or 9 mpg depending on terrain, wind, towing or not, etc.
Any issues when you picked it up? Yes one small one: bathroom door was broken, dealer noticed it during PDI and repaired it with a new door (we did NOT have to leave the RV there while the door was on order)
Pic of us camping:

Why do you love your camper:
After owning a 31ft 5th wheel we pretty much fell in love with the small size of the Axis on first sight. Since then it has proven to be quite the able unit. It can get a little cramped in there with 3 or more people but usually when its nice out we're outside the camper (we've even camped with 5 but 2 of us had their own tent to sleep in).

Very maneuverable and easy to drive: My wife wouldn't drive any of our other pull-behinds but she has no problems with the Axis (even with a car in tow).

I probably could go on and on so I'll stop and let more people chime in....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
We LIKE our 2016 Ace 29.3

We bought in new in April and have put about 5,000 miles on it. We had a few minor problems, all taken care of by Thor under warranty and Bretz RV in Billings Montana (110 miles away). Although not perfect, I don't know how we could have purchased a new motorhome at this price point and been more satisfied. I would likely be happier with a new Tiffin Allegro 32.1 but it would cost me $70,000 more, a lot more than we paid for our Ace. Just not worth the extra money to us at this point.

We have a Demco KarKaddy and put a 2001 PT Cruiser on it at times, also a 2010 VW New Beetle Rag Top. We loose 1/2 to 1 mpg when towing.

We really like the outdoor kitchen and the ease of hooking up the included bbq grill without having a separate propane bottle. Also, we like the outdoor television. The downside is we lose some storage outside but so far it has not been a problem for us. It is a lot of motorhome for the money, and yes, we would buy an Ace again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Somewhere.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	3420  
Old 11-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Coach: 2014 Vegas and 2016 Axis

Owners: Retired couple

Usage: 2-4 month trips in the summer and week and weekend trips the rest of the year. Took the Vegas from Florida to eastern Canada for two months and Alaska for four months. Traveled to Utah and Colorado in the 2016 Axis last summer for two months.

Miles on coach: 25,000 miles on the Vegas and 10,000 currently on the Axis.

Pull a toad: No

Mileage: 2014 Vegas 8-9 , 2016 Axis 10-10.5.

Issues at purchase: 2014 Vegas - Too many to mention. It was one of the early models and quality control was sadly lacking. 2016 Axis - few issues at delivery. Quality control was much improved and Camping World of Tampa did an excellent job of pre-delivery checks,

Why do you love your camper: We have put over 100,000 miles on four RVs since we retired 10 years ago. The Vegas and Axis are the largest of the four and we love the size and the room inside. We do not tow and we enjoy dry camping in National Parks and National Forests so the 25' length is perfect for us. It is small enough to fit in most campgrounds and to unhook and drive to dinner, but large enough inside to live in for months at a time. We spent four months in our Vegas traveling from Florida to Alaska and two months in our Axis to Utah and Colorado, much of it dry camping. It is comfortable to live in and easy to drive. We went to the Tampa RV show last February looking to upgrade to something just a little bigger than the Vegas. After looking at every RV under 30', we traded our Vegas for a new Axis. The new transmission, improved bathroom doors and light wood interior were major improvements for us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	3423  
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
We would be listed in the "like" column also. We have only had our used Challenger for less than a year. Made one trip of just under 1,400 miles. Even though the dealer provided a 30 day warranty plus an extended warranty I have done all repairs myself except install the new fresh water pump.

The only issues have been minor and we love the coach. I am still doing modifications to make it handle better but we have never been disappointed in the purchase. This forum has been great and there are tons of folks on here with MH experience, which was important to us since all of our RV experience was with fivers.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Add us to the like list or more likely, love it list.

We flew from GA to Elkhart, IN back in July of 2014 and picked up our 2015 Axis 24.1 from Total Value RV and after a walk thru PDI discovered a few minor things needing repair (the worse being a deep scratch in the windshield on the driver's side which was buffed out at a local glass shop) or spot cleaning, we were headed back home after staying a night at Total Value's overnight RV hookup. This allowed us to better familiarize ourselves with our new Axis and try out all the "bells and whistles". Also, allowed us to bring up some questions the next day to the service technicians there. I must say we were totally happy with the family owned dealership and the technicians there. A pleasant buying experience.

We now have approximately 8,500 miles on the RV and after having some warranty issues resolved that first year (mostly minor) are still loving the MH and has been nearly trouble free since.

The first year warranty issues were a windshield washer pump replaced, driver side camera went out and was replaced although it was determined to be a bad connector at the camera, left side arm rest broke loose on passenger seat was replaced and shower wall surround came loose at back.

I've made a few modifications from the many suggestions I've seen on this forum to make it more enjoyable and a couple of other repairs (furnace thermostat connector and outside shower hose replaced) performed. We feel very lucky to have purchased this RV and the experiences we've had with it thus far.

We didn't purchase with intentions of having an investment knowing the depreciation value surrounding RVs. We intend to hang on to this one for many years since it seems perfect for our traveling and camping enjoyment.

We have another trip planned to Topsail Preserve CG in Santa Rosa Beach, FL beginning this Friday for nearly a week. Hoping the weather will be nice.

I'm retiring at the end of this year and looking forward to more enjoyable travels in the much loved Axis in the future.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
We love ours so far.

We knew it was the perfect floorplan for us as soon as we walked through it last year. We debated on a Georgetown, but kept coming back to the Challenger. The entire buying experience was very smooth and stress free.

Aside from a few minor problems, all corrected under warranty it has been a great coach. Made a few comfort and convenience improvements to make it more livable for us. I never imagined we would be able to get something this size with so many features for the price. I can't really think of any options that's it's missing other than the washer/dryer, which we'll add later.

Looking forward to spending a lot more time in it when I retire in 2-3 years.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Coach: 2015 Thor Axis 24.2 (offered for about 1yr)
Owners: Two of us and a couple dogs
Usage: Weekends average 1/mo and a couple week long vacations per year.
Toad: Jeep Wrangler @4200lbs
Mileage: Average 8.5 in the mountains with dingy in tow
Issues? One trim end flap needed some glue and the overhead air mattress had holes that blew air in my face when I first filled it. Basically no issues.
Why do you love your camper: Well ... we've had several small motorhomes and most of the other small RV types. We wanted a dinette, kitchen counter space and a place to sleep that could remain made down during a stay without crawling up/over/etc... The 24.2 floor plan provides an ultra comfortable dinette seating with captains chairs for two. The cab chairs rotate easy enough for extra seating and the couch bed is easy in/out that can be left down without being in the way. A great little one room cabin on wheels that's fun to travel and stay in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4198.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	3424  
Old 11-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Coach: 2015 Thor Axis 24.1
Owners: Family of 2 living in Tampa FL (retired AF Col, retired nurse, and 17 lb Bichon)
Usage: Approx: Monthly camping trips throughout year. Mainly go to Disney World Fort Wilderness during winter. Summer trips to PA, DE, MD, and VA during summer. Several trips include military FAMCAMPs in FL and VA.
Miles on Coach at present: ~8800
Do you pull a toad: No
Mileage: We get around 10 mpg depending on terrain or wind.
Any issues when you picked it up? Yes, two small discrepancies: loose trim on ceiling above electric bunk and hinge for front hood was stiff (lubed).
Warranty Issues: Windshield stress crack (replaced under warranty, repair took 2 days in shop), replaced front hood assy, replaced microwave/convection oven (cooling fan stopped working). Never had RV in dealer's lot awaiting parts, all warranty repairs (with exception of windshield completed in 1 day).
Pic of us camping:
See attached picture from Fort Wilderness

Perfect size for my wife and I and our 17 lb Bichon. Love the twin bed arrangement and tons of inside storage. Extremely comfortable mattresses on twin beds. Love the living area roominess with couch slide extended. Love amount of outside storage especially with large rear pass-through and small front pass-through. Great handling and perfect size for navigating parking lots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Disney Aug 2015.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	3426  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:18 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
We LOVE ours:

COACH-
2017 Four Winds 31E

OWNERS-
My wife and I, 2 daughters (5 and 6 ) and most of the time Grandma

USAGE-
1 week in the fall, 1 week in the spring, 2 weeks or longer trip in the summer, and all other months a 3 night weekend at least.

Miles on coach at present-

Toad?-
yes, Chevy HHR, flat tow

Mileage-
8-9 per gallon

Issues-
a few minor. most serious was small hole in shower base. ( like someone dropped a sharp object maybe)

Why do you love your camper-
Had a 28 ft travel trailer prior. Love the space, storage, and amenities. Perfect for the family both camping and traveling. Love the time saved having our on bathroom and kitchen while traveling. (especially with small children) So easy to drive the wife will also drive it and she would never drive pulling the trailer. GREAT unit.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Happy Campers

Coach: 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 (purchased in Aug 2016)

Owners:
Family of 3 living in Little Rock AR area

Usage: So far lots of 2-3 night stays around the state (Arkansas has a lot of beautiful state parks). We’re planning extended stays (month) in southern FL this winter.

Miles on Coach at present: ~7000

Do you pull a toad: Yes, flat towing our 2016 GMC Terrain

Mileage: We get 9-10 mpg without the toad. Mileage with the toad is about 7mpg depending on terrain and winds.

Any issues when you picked it up? Yes, back of the couch cushions were torn where the Velcro attaches. I think the fabric is too weak to pull on. It doesn’t really matter in that we never use the fold out bed. A couple of the electrical outlets pull away from the walls when you unplug things. The screws seem to have stripped out of the paneling. Since I purchased it used from CW, I’m not sure how to go about fixing it.
Warranty Issues: None yet.

We love the twin beds and all the outside storage as well. Pretty easy to drive and is small enough to drive pretty much anywhere. My wife has started driving and is looking forward to girl trips with her sisters (oh what fun!). While a bit on the noisy side, the engine power is sufficient even when towing our Terrain. We also really like the way the bathroom doors open up to form an extended bathroom including the closet. Since there are 3 of us, one of us sleeps in the drop down bed over the cab. We changed out 3” mattress for a real 6” mattress which makes all the difference in the world. Ideally, I would like a Coach with the added bunks (ACE 30.1), but I’d take too much of beating with the dealers to make it happen. Maybe I can find someone who wants to trade someday. All in all a very fun unit, fun to drive and fun to camp!
Old 11-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Coach: 2016 Thor Hurricane 35C
Owners: Family of 3 (two of us and daughter in high school) plus 2 pups
Usage: 1 weekend per month plus a week or two during the year, soon to be full time after retirement in 2017
Miles on Coach at present: 7,420
Do you pull a toad: Yes - Jeep Renegade FWD on Master Tow dolly
Mileage: We get around 7 or 8 mpg depending on terrain, wind, towing or not, etc.
Any issues when you picked it up? Yes one small one: USB charger in bedroom was not wired correctly, dealer repaired it prior to delivery
Warranty Issues: Axxera radio lost power, rear ladder wasn't fully attached, awning lights were mostly out. All were repaired by the dealer quickly.
Why do you love your camper: We had owned a used Class A (Itasca Sunflyer) for a few years as a way to understand what we truly wanted in a motorhome prior to retirement and traveling. We learned a lot from our experience and determined the floorplans that we liked and the "must haves" prior to purchase of any newer motorhome. We had been looking for at least 18 months when we went to a dealership to check out a newer used unit that we had seen advertised previously (when it was new) and once there realized it didn't really meet our criteria. So we decided to wander around and check out some others... and the very next one we looked at was the Hurricane 35C parked right next to it. After walking through it, we realized it had EVERY "must have" as well as some "nice to have" features that we hadn't even thought of, as well as the perfect floorplan for us. So we talked with the salesperson and then we stopped at an RV show on the way back home from the dealer, and as fate would have it we stopped inside a nice Tiffin from that same dealer and started talking with the dealer rep inside who turned out to be the owner of the dealership. He had already heard about our visit and the next day we got a call with a great offer from them on our trade for the Hurricane and we made the deal.

At first we really didn't think we needed a bath and a half, but when tailgating or when we have more than just the two of us, it is quite convenient. We love the layout, we love the Rapid Camp remote, we also like that it has an oven and a full size microwave. It also has a queen size master bed as we don't want a king size (we are snugglers even with the pups on the bed) as most king beds take up too much room in the bedroom so there isn't space to dress, etc. We also like the inverter setup as we already had plans to add solar and additional batteries. Having outlets on either side of the bed with built in nightstands was a must have for us as well.

She drives much better than the old 98 Ford chassis we had and when in Tow/Haul mode, climbing and descending hills is much easier on our brakes. Even though it is a 2016, we got the "older" V-10 5-speed tranny but it is tried and proven and we are quite happy with it.

Yes, we had read all of the negatives on Thor... but we also realized that even Newmar and Tiffin have issues from time to time as the components are all shaking along the road and are basically the same parts from the same set of suppliers. Only the frame and "house" wall construction is different (and some of the fit and finish on things like cabinets and trim.) However, we really couldn't afford one of the comparable Newmars or Tiffins and the features in the Thor were hard to beat for the price.

All in all, we are looking forward to selling the condo and moving in full time in 2017. We love our Hurricane and would do it all over again in a heartbeat!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #13

Model: tuscany xte 36mq
State: Alberta
THOR #3607
we love our Tuscany XTE, just finished a 13,300 mile road trip around the US and Canada for 4 months putting it through the paces, the truck performed amazing,we went over hills i could not see over the top and was in a hurricane in cape cod . a few minor electrical issues but nothing to stop the truck,very well built and comfortable unit.even dragged the toad down the interstate in Florida with no front tire for 10 miles. in the shop now getting serviced and a few dents in the bay doors repaired from campgrounds i shouldn't have been in. keep smiling,love life on the road TOM AND JOANNE 2016 TUSCANY XTE 36MQ with pontiac G5 toad
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL I had also started a thread like this so I'm copying my post here:
This was mentioned in a different thread (here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...html#post51527 ) so I figured I'd start it.

Perhaps we can even have a suggested format:

Coach: 2014 Thor Axis 24.1
Owners: Family of 3 (two of us and son in high school)
Usage: Approx: Monthly camping trips in the summer and some tailgating and usually one week-long trip sometime in the summer
Miles on Coach at present: ~10,000
Do you pull a toad: Yes either my wife's Escape or my C-Max
Mileage: We get around 8 or 9 mpg depending on terrain, wind, towing or not, etc.
Any issues when you picked it up? Yes one small one: bathroom door was broken, dealer noticed it during PDI and repaired it with a new door (we did NOT have to leave the RV there while the door was on order)
Pic of us camping:

After owning a 31ft 5th wheel we pretty much fell in love with the small size of the Axis on first sight. Since then it has proven to be quite the able unit. It can get a little cramped in there with 3 or more people but usually when its nice out we're outside the camper (we've even camped with 5 but 2 of us had their own tent to sleep in).

Very maneuverable and easy to drive: My wife wouldn't drive any of our other pull-behinds but she has no problems with the Axis (even with a car in tow).

I probably could go on and on so I'll stop and let more people chime in....
Hey Jamie

What are you using for the shade coverings for the side windows? Looks like a nice setup.

Kev
Old 11-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Kev those are my Sunguard shades--covers the front window too (more details about them can be found in this thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...html#post10113 )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Coach: 2015 Challenger 37ND
Owners: Family of 2 with 1 dog and 3 cats
Usage: Approx: Week or 2 week long trips during fall (Labor Day) to late spring (Memorial Day). Occasional long weekends during the summer.
Do you pull a toad: Sometimes but usually rent from Enterprise (less wear and tear on personal auto)
Current Mileage on Coach: Not enough
Any issues when you picked it up? Minor warranty issues which the dealer and Thor handled promptly.
Pic of us camping: KOA, Mount Pleasant, SC.

Name:	IMG_0694.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	3431
Why do we like the coach: More room than our prior Class C and it was one of the very few Class A models on the market in 2015 that had an outdoor kitchen without a full wall slide. Aside from the slide issue during the shakedown cruise the coach has been trouble free with only a few minor warranty issues to include drawer locks and the Axxerra radio (replaced twice).
Mods complete: Swapped out the 40 inch Seiki for a 46 inch Sharp Aquos with QAM tuner, sound deadening the doghouse, swapped out the Aussie grill for a Weber Q 2200.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Coach: 2013 31L (bought new June 2014)
Owners: Family of 5
Usage: weekend trips mostly. 57 nights so far
Do you pull a toad: not yet, don't have anything that would work
Current Mileage on Coach: Not enough, I think it's approx 10,000 miles now
Mileage: 7.5 MPG average
Any issues when you picked it up? Too many to list. Mostly loose screws, missing screws, maladjusted doors, maladjusted drawer slides, leaking pump strainer, leaking tailights, etc....
Pic of us camping:
(unable)
Why do we like the coach: layout of sofa, dinette, and TV is good, plenty of counter space and inside cabinet/storage space. The floorplan fits us well
Mods complete: tons of repairs, & too many to remember..... Prog industry power monitor, battery disconnects, backup flood lights, replaced overcab clearance lights, rvroof.com roof, replaced most of the drawer slides, window shade at door, oxygenics shower head, ARP fridge controller, TST tire system, spare tire rack, probably more I can't think of right now.....
Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We have a slightly used 2016 Vegas 24.1 with less than 2000 miles. Now have over 6500. Zero issues once I got used to driving it. I tow an open racecar trailer frequently.
I avreage anywhere from 8.5 to 10.8 MPG depending on traffic. It cruises good anywhere from 65 to 75 MPH. I did add a reflex steering damper.
The dealer was North Trail RV in Fort Lauderdale. They were great, this is our first RV. The whole purchase process and education got us to a great start. Is wife and I along with one or two dogs and sometimes a 7year old.
We use to tow racecar, go on trips to WDW and general travel.
The storage is great, we really love the size and layout. The only drawback for me was shower curtain sticking to my back, I came up with polyline hoop and clips that work great. I added a 30 amp outlet off main electric panel so we leave unit connected in yard at house. The longest trip so far is 4 day race on Florida West coast. Ran low on shower water last day. I will carry extra water on car trailer in future. The 8000 towing capacity is killer along with 3000 RV payload. If we ever go bigger, a Thor ACE may be considered.
We love the overall layout of unit. The beds match or exceed the expensive mattresses at my home. We have learned to keep it stocked just like house.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Coach: 2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1
Current Mileage: just over 10,000 miles
Owners: Family of 2 with yellow Lab, terrier-mix, and beagle
Usage: We try to get out every 4-6 weeks. Work really cramps our style!
Do you pull a toad: Just purchased a ready-to-tow 2013 Fiat 500C, but haven't towed it anywhere yet.
Mileage: Mileage is probably typical, but we don't pay attention to it. It's not a car, so why worry?
Any issues when you picked it up? Not really. There were wood shavings in the floor heater vents, so we cleaned them out. No biggie.
Warranty Issues: Windshield washer motor didn't work, but was easily replaced by our local independent RV repair shop that's been a dream to work with.
Pic of us camping:
This was taken at a little campground adjacent to a small hotel in the town of Garibaldi, Oregon, just north of Tillamook. It was gorgeous.

Why do you love your camper: Our ACE has everything we've always wanted in an RV. We began with pop-up trailers, moved to small hard-sided travel trailers, and finally the ACE. It's spacious, accommodates us and our 3 dogs, and isn't so big that it's scary to drive. There's more than enough storage for us, and provides us with the ability to take all of our toys without feeling squished. It's easy to set up -- LOTS easier than a trailer! -- and we find ourselves getting away far more often than we did with the trailer. We really don't anticipate getting another rig for a long, long time.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Seiki TV turns itself off? Anyone have this same issue?