Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Palazzo Road Handling

Hey folks,

I’m considering trading up to a Thor Palazzo 36.3 2016-2019. I want one with at least a year with a previous owner and a few thousand miles so hopefully the trips back to the factory and dealer are over. I’m wondering how they drive and handle on the highway? Are they quiet inside? Is it a smooth ride? This would be my first diesel pusher with air ride and brakes. Can some Palazzo owners give me a heads up?

Thanks.

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
We love our 2018 33.2 which is also our first DP and I can tell you that compared to our previous gas Class A (2015 ACE 29.2) it is a night and day difference in quiet, smoothness and handling, which was everything we hoped for.
It takes a little to get use to the shifting and braking operation if it's your first air brake and pushbutton shifting. Some of the things you learn are its important to select lower gear when pulling a steep grade to keep the RPM above 1700 so you don't lose too much speed and to switch the Exhaust Brake on to aid in braking control (works great!).
The Palazzos have very low ground clearance, so be careful entering or exiting driveways anywhere there is a steep approach (some people have had mods done to allow for momentary airbag inflation to lift the front 3-4").
There is a Palazzo Owners Facebook group that can share loads more info.
Welcome and enjoy!
Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

THOR #6280
Thank you Harvey.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the Palazzo line is a great diesel pusher coach, with differing lengths, which can effect the horsepower and the handling...

our's is smooth, with the air bags, and has no issues with torque through the toughest of inclines(try getting up the 25% grade campground at Amicalola Falls State Park GA!), the continental divide at Independence Pass Colorado, etc... all with our toad 'in tow'... you won't even know it's there.

I've also never 'downshifted', as I see little value in that - let the Allison transmission do it for you, though on steep inclines you may want to take it out of 'economy' and let the sifting happen more quickly, keeping the torque and speed higher.

The air bags are what gives a diesel pusher the smooth ride, but they also allow you to 'drop' the house down when you arrive, giving you a firmer foundation, allowing the leveling legs to have to travel less, and allowing the SINGLE outside entry step to be even closer to the ground, for very easy entry/exit....

Generally, too, these diesel pushers will have 'whole house' inverters, larger battery banks, and will have ALL outlets wired to be able to off-grid and still have use of each of them, whether for TVs, satellite receivers, computer and device chargers, fans, etc... so you don't miss a beat regardless of whether you are plugged in, running the large efficient Onan diesel generator, or are off-grid with the Inverter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #5

Model: Pallazo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12810
We’ve had our Palazzo for just a couple of years. We love it. It’s vey quite and for the most part is smooth riding. The diesel has plenty of power. You’re wise ti get one slightly used and to have the bugs worked out.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:58 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #14873
you will love the Freightliner chassis and service. You feel the pot holes with the 110 psi tire pressure. Wise to get a slightly used one and avoid the dealer nightmares. Freight liner was spot on. You do not need to know much to use the Allison transmission, you can hardly tell when it shifts up or down. Oh the shifter is external and not Allison and not covered by their 200,000mi warranty, as I learned the hard way. You would think it won't shift call Allison NO
Old 06-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #7

THOR #6280
Update on Palazzo Coach

Hey everyone,

I passed up the Palazzo and went straight to the Tuscany. Got a 2 year old rig and it's amazing. Just finished a 15 day cross country trip and we couldn't be happier. The 4 slides make for awesome space and the Freightliner chassis handles the road with ease. It's easy to drive and really smooth and quiet. It's really a big unit and we pulled a trailer with a golf cart and couldn't tell it was back there without looking at the monitor. We had absolutely no issues with the coach at all, everything worked perfectly and nothing fell off.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Hey everyone,

I passed up the Palazzo and went straight to the Tuscany. Got a 2 year old rig and it's amazing. Just finished a 15 day cross country trip and we couldn't be happier. The 4 slides make for awesome space and the Freightliner chassis handles the road with ease. It's easy to drive and really smooth and quiet. It's really a big unit and we pulled a trailer with a golf cart and couldn't tell it was back there without looking at the monitor. We had absolutely no issues with the coach at all, everything worked perfectly and nothing fell off.
Congrats on your choice. We went with a 2021 Aria as the Palazzo did not have the towing capacity that we wanted. I was gun oh on a Super C but once I took a test drive on the Diesel pusher I was hooked. Comfort, quiet, lot of room. Enjoy...
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Agree with what others said we went with a Super C because the Palazzo had no towing capacity (cannot tow a Grand Cherokee) and the Aria didn't feel right to us.

Be aware that the ISB 6.7 HP in the Palazzo is limited because of the Allison 2000 series transmission and it cannot be uprated to 360HP. The trans is what also limits the Palazzo's towing ability.

As a note, the Winnebago Forza and Forest River Legacy have the same limitations as the Palazzo.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #10

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Dave, you missed that he didn't buy the Palazzo, but purchased a Tuscany instead.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Dave, you missed that he didn't buy the Palazzo, but purchased a Tuscany instead.
You are correct I did miss that.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote