Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.2 ACE
State: California
THOR #11409
Gas Griddles

Hello to my fellow RVers

My question at hand is "Gas Griddles "

I have a grill for the RV however have come to a crossroads, on weather to buy a Griddle and pitch the Grill.
We see the benefits the griddle offers based on our electric one we currently use and how well it works for so many breakfast items.
The wife simply hates cooking anything greasy in the rv and I agree it gets every place.
So out comes the grill, frying pan, electric cord and outside I go to cook.
During my research i found a lot of choices however few comments from true RV people.
Now let's get to all your professional experiences and what is the best Griddle for an RVer and why.

Look forward to the conversation

Jeff

Old 07-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I'll watch to see specifics others post... but there are several gas grills that you can replace a grate with a griddle. I have also used a cast iron griddle / pans on multiple gas grills (or charcoal fires).

Keeping the grease, smell, and heat (especially in southern summer) out of the RV are all good reasons.

I do carry a plug in induction burner too - works great with the cast iron pots/pans - and best temperature control I've found.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

THOR #11409
Gmc that's a great point, I never thought about changing the grate out to a griddle.
I will look in to see if the OEM offers this. I have been looking at the 22 inch Blackstone.

Thank you for your comment
Old 07-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I use a Camp Chef gas grill with a cast iron griddle (reversible.) Once it gets seasoned, the cast iron griddle works great. I have the two burner version so I can also use my 12 inch cast iron pan on the other burner for other goodies.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #5

THOR #11409
I was interested in knowing if anyone has wind guards on their grill/ griddles and if wind is a problem with their units remaining at temperature.
I know I have the old Coleman kerosene stove with the win guards they work great.
Don't laugh I know I'm dating my self and there maybe some here that never seen one except in a picture or grandpa garage.
However I heard some others while at the service bay complaining about their grills.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Texas
THOR #11718
Jeff Van, I have the same problem when trying to cook on my Coleman. Fine for grilling but with any breeze at all I can't keep consistant heat under a pan. Getting ready to head out for a couple of months and will leave it home. Going back to my Weber charcoal grill (much smaller, lighter to handle and better taste) and use my little electric griddle on an outside table.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Gas everything...it sets you up for off grid ease. We don't cook anything in the RV...coffee maybe, or microwave a few things. I have an "outdoor kitchen" made up of a folding 2 burner Coleman (clam-shell) stove top, Napoleon 2 burner 285 portable grill and the gas griddle. you can smell anything you cook inside for days. The Napoleon also allows me to smoke small amounts of meat with the cross cook method. And those old "Coleman Stoves"...still got one along with the pump lantern and plenty of "white gas". Still cooks at only one temperature...burns everything!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff van View Post
I was interested in knowing if anyone has wind guards on their grill/ griddles and if wind is a problem with their units remaining at temperature.
I know I have the old Coleman kerosene stove with the win guards they work great.
Don't laugh I know I'm dating my self and there maybe some here that never seen one except in a picture or grandpa garage.
However I heard some others while at the service bay complaining about their grills.
I do use the wind guard occasionally, but only with the grill top. by the way, I frequently use the griddle as a stove top for meals that need to be prepared in pots.