Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Small Space Living

I recently joined the Thor group. Prior to that I was on a different discussion group that group had really helpful ideas about how to make your unit more comfortable and useful while traveling.

I'm not talking about mods but instead little things that are done to make traveling more comfortable and fun.

My wife and I, for example, do not use the coffee table in our Axis. We leave it at home as it seems to take up too much walking space. The reason we changed from a Class B Airstream Interstate to the Axis was to get the slide out and more room to stretch out.

Instead of the table we use this:

Sauder Beginnings Small Storage Ottoman, Multiple Colors - Walmart.com

We can use it for comfort as we sit on the sofa and prop up our feet and we can use it for storage of books, magazines, whatever. We have two.

What have you done to make your “small space” more livable?

Phil

Old 11-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
My wife has been looking for an ottoman like that, only a bit longer in one direction....
Thanks for the link!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz
My wife and I, for example, do not use the coffee table in our Axis.
Which table are you referring to as the "coffee table"? The one between the front seats or the one in front of the couch? (as neither is very large you could easily refer to both as a coffee table LOL.)
I suspect you mean the front one as that small ottoman would be a perfect fit in front, even when driving down the road.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

THOR #1075
No, we use this instead of the large coffee table. My wife is way too mobile when traveling to put something in her way. We use them to keep things in and to raise our feet while sitting on the sofa.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
One reason we bought the coach we did is my "must have" was a sofa (the wife's must have was a slide out).

Unfortunately though, our sofa is very uncomfortable. So (at least for now) we found a chaise lounge cushion that was just about a perfect fit for the sofa.

At least now it is tolerable to sit in.

I think in the future I may replace the sofa with a nicer one. We'd like to retain the "jackknife" style as it allows for under-sofa storage, as well as it provides a slot for the seat belts.

There is a RV surplus place in Elkhart, Indiana about an hour's drive or so from where I live that has some RV furniture. Perhaps we might find one there one day that is more comfortable than ours.

I have an Aunt and Uncle that are full-time RV'ers and have a Fleetwood Bounder Class A.

They removed their entire dinette and then when they deploy their slide out (their dinette was in the slide out), they put a residential sofa cross-wise (so you are facing forward towards the front of the coach when sitting).

It takes a bit of man-handling to move the sofa each time you deploy the slide out, as well; it is really cramped inside when the slide out is in... but it seems so roomy when they extend the slideout and sofa.

Since they are full-timers, they stay in one spot for 1~2 months between moves, so I suppose having to move the sofa is not a big task if you only do it a few times a year.

And they use snack trays when they eat instead of a dinette.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #6

THOR #1075
My wife has been looking for a space saving way to store plates. Idea 20 is interesting. Anyone use it?

44 Cheap And Easy Ways To Organize Your RV/Camper
Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #7

THOR #1075
Thee are nice. We use them at home and I think will add a couple in the motor home.

http://www.target.com/p/lynk-over-ca...=39-10236268-2

Anyone else use them?

Phil
Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
We have a couple of hooks similar to that on our shower door that was left by the previous owner. They are metal like the ones you show, but the hooks are slightly different.

We also have a over-the-door towel bar that we hang on the inside of the bathroom entry door that we bought on sale at Camping World (ours is chrome though):

Over Door 3 Bar Towel Rack - Bronze - Interdesign 69111 - Racks & Holders - Camping World

Sometimes, Camping World's on-sale items have good pricing.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #9

THOR #1075
I like the towel bar.

I like the sale prices at CW also, but their shipping prices are so high that I usually buy through Amazon. Our Closest CW is about three hours away.

Phil
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
My wife has been looking for a space saving way to store plates. Idea 20 is interesting. Anyone use it?

44 Cheap And Easy Ways To Organize Your RV/Camper
I'm familiar with most of those suggestions from my years with the family's 2004 Fleetwood Niagara Popup.

However, in a new motorhome I cringe at the thought of drilling holes anywhere.

I'll use 3M Command strips and Velcro tape wherever possible to avoid drilling holes.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #11

THOR #1075
I agree Beacher. I have always been afraid of anything but strips or glue. I have no idea what is behind the wall.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Funny thing about the 3M Command strips. They don't stick to the walls of my coach. I am not sure what the actual wall material is; either the woodgrain or wallpaper looking stuff, but the Command strips just fall off from everything we have tried to attach them to.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
Funny thing about the 3M Command strips. They don't stick to the walls of my coach. I am not sure what the actual wall material is; either the woodgrain or wallpaper looking stuff, but the Command strips just fall off from everything we have tried to attach them to.
So far they are holding tight to the bathroom walls on our Axis. I am curious if they will still be there in the spring (not sure how the cold affects them).
Old 12-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #14

THOR #1075
I'm waiting for spring to see if the tape holds in my Axis. I also used industrial strength Velcro to attach a key holder just inside the entrance. I left heavy keys attached to see if it held through cold weather.

Jamie, did you use screws or take to hold your letter/key holders?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz
Jamie, did you use screws or take to hold your letter/key holders?
The letter/key holders included mounting screws which I used. Whenever I screw something into the wall on the camper I dip the screw in glue first. The walls are a thin sheet of wood so I try to give the screws as much as they can bite as possible. On our 5th wheel I replaced all the blinds with day/night shades that way (gluing all the screw points to the wall). In the 10 years we had the 5er none of the screws pulled out of the walls.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #16

THOR #1075
A Camco Knife Safe.

Very inexpensive, installs easily, widely available, and holds the knife assortment I seem to feel is necessary.

Attached Images
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #17

THOR #1075
Great for using that empty vertical space, hold things still, and allow you to place your hands quickly on something like a bottle of Tylenol.

They are for spice storage/organization, with very, very sticky backs.

Good for meds, extra tubes of face and body wash, etc.

Google "spice clips". There are lots available thru different sellers.

Attached Images
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #18

THOR #1075
Kitchen sink mat repurposed as a utensil holder for the Interstate. The knotted sewing elastic loops or tie wraps can be repositioned at will to accommodate whatever is needed, and the utensils don't make any noise as they bump up against the soft plastic.

Attached Thumbnails