Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #11582
Post Power Concerns - Renting 2017 Thor Ace Class A

Hello! I am renting a 2017 Thor Ace Class A Motorhome for a weekend at a music festival and want to make sure I understand the electrical/power capabilities of the RV before the trip (and determine whether I need to purchase an extension cord, and if so, what kind).

My campsite has a -110v/20amp service, and the festival recommends that each RV have a "100 foot outdoor cord, rated 10/2 with grounding." The RV currently has a 12 ft. 30 amp electrical cord.

I am wondering if the 100 ft. requirement is simply a precaution to avoid power problems, or if I should plan to get an extension cord. Any guidance is appreciated, and if anyone has an extension cord recommendation, then I would certainly take that into consideration. Finally, any other best practices for the RV are much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
20 amp service? wow that's kinda on the low side. Perhaps someone with better words will be explaining it.

As for the cord... at some of these events not everyone can park next to the power pole so they must use an extension cord to get power.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
You will need a 30amp adapter that should be available from your rental, and I would go w/ this (one or two on your preference).

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-Ft-...ord-62916.html

It works well when I want to plug in at home. As for 20amp you should be fine as long as you don't run A/C and microwave at the same time. This point may be debated however.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #10354
Power

Why wouldn't you take their recommendation? You may burn out the RV's air conditioner if you try to use a higher gauge cord. An air conditioner can cost well over $1000 to purchase/install! The rental agency should have a clause in the contract to protect themselves.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the FESTIVAL recommends it, not your rental company, so they are looking to preserve their liability should someone with a camper use a 'smaller' than sizeable extension cord and potentially create a fire hazard if the extension cord is overloaded for the 'length' from your RV to the power outlet, which sounds like it could be quite a substantial length, otherwise they probably would not be mentioning it.

Use your RVs 30amp shore power cord, add a 30amp to 15/20amp adapter(easily found at any hardware store, Walmart, etc), and plug that into the outlet that the festival provides. IF you cannot 'reach' the outlet with your shore power cord, then add an appropriate sized Extension cord from the outlet to your RVs cord.
Any extension cord you purchase, like the 'orange' or 'red' style contractor cords, will have 3 prongs(grounded), and will show the amps that it is rated for. If you are going to really purchase a 100' cord rated for 20amps, it will be quite heavy. You probably WON'T have to have near that long of an extension, but apparently the festival is concerned that some RVs might not be very close to an outlet.

When you run your RV off of 15amps or 20amps, you will only have use of 'some' of the items in your RV at the same time. Meaning you might be able to run the air conditioner, but probably little else, without turning it off first. If you run the microwave, you'll not be able to do much else at the same time, otherwise you will trip a breaker in your coach, OR worse, you'll trip the Festival's breaker for your 20amp outlet they provide. Their outlet 'may' have it's own breaker, or it may be a breaker that is within a 'main' breaker box on the grounds somewhere else.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

THOR #11582
Thanks!

I appreciate all the replies - I will buy a 75 ft. 30 amp extension cord to pair with the RV shore power cord, which should be sufficient for reach and power purposes. I'll be stingy with usage and not run things at the same time.

Also, I'm going through RVShare and the owner has provided 7 free hours of generator use at night. I am assuming generator usage is independent of power supply usage? But again, this stuff is new to me.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
I appreciate all the replies - I will buy a 75 ft. 30 amp extension cord to pair with the RV shore power cord, which should be sufficient for reach and power purposes. I'll be stingy with usage and not run things at the same time.

Also, I'm going through RVShare and the owner has provided 7 free hours of generator use at night. I am assuming generator usage is independent of power supply usage? But again, this stuff is new to me.

you don't need an expensive 30amp cord as you will not have 30amp service at the festival... only buy the size you need, and the adapter. You are renting the coach, and you'll have no use for a 30amp cord when you return, but a regular 20amp extension cord may be quite useful in the future.

generator usage is only if you have no access to 120v outside power and need to run things while 'dry camping'(no electricity available)... though you probably won't, so don't worry about the generator. If you DO need to crank it and use it, 7 hours may not seem like a lot, but most folks don't run one 24/7 anyway, only to charge the house batteries for your 12v lights and fans, etc., and maybe even a TV, since they run off the batteries.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
AND, if you do use generator, unplug your camper from power post before you start generator.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
AND, if you do use generator, unplug your camper from power post before you start generator.
Not necessary. The RV will automatically switch to the generator when it is ready.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They've covered your power concerns ...
So I'll ask about the really important stuff:
What kind of Music Festival??
Almost 49 years ago: we had a little one up here near me (just 20 miles...)
It only drew about 400,000 people...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #11

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
They've covered your power concerns ...
So I'll ask about the really important stuff:
What kind of Music Festival??
Almost 49 years ago: we had a little one up here near me (just 20 miles...)
It only drew about 400,000 people...

I heard about that one.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Can you imagine what next year's reunion might look like?

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1525960317
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodstock-reunion-500x352.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	10167  
Old 05-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Bob...wiping tears from my eyes!! "That's funny right there...I don't care who you are". I was at original Woodstock. Drove a 65 Chevy van up there. Once in a lifetime event. I think that's what's still wrong with me today. At the reunion we can compare out tattoos and play..."guess what this used to be" while we argue over who takes the most meds.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But are you taking more meds now; than you did back then?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #10354
If you DO need to crank it and use it, 7 hours may not seem like a lot, but most folks don't run one 24/7 anyway, only to charge the house batteries for your 12v lights and fans, etc., and maybe even a TV, since they run off the batteries.[/QUOTE]

Be careful about what you say. The flat screen TV's installed on many newer RVs use 120 VAC only and not 12V. I'm sure Thor gets a much better price on 120V TVs than the 12V ones.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #16

THOR #11582
Got it thanks - I figured a 30 amp extension cord was necessary since the RV cord is 30 amp. But I'm assuming now that the AMPs on the extension cord are more directly related to the available service? If that's the case, then I'll get a 20 amp extension cord.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since this is a rental unit: bu the cord that matches up to what you'll be plugging into at the site.
(I'll also remind you: get the adapter, so that you plug the two cords together.)
Please let us know how the time spent with the rental works out for you!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #18

THOR #11582
Clarifying the Purchase

Thanks, I will definitely report back. So if I understand correctly, I need to have the following:

(1) 30 Amp to 20 Amp Adapter

(Amazon has one for $15: Conntek 14340 30Amp RV to 15/20Amp Pigtail Adapter)

(2) a 20 Amp Extension Cord to plug into the adapter and run to my power source
Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think that it needs to be a 20 amp, to a 30 amp adapter...
(I'm not sure how to explain this properly... )
You'll have the 30 amp cord unwound from the rig, and the Male end of it will be dangling out these in the breeze...
When the 20 amp cord is plugged in at the power source: it's male end gets used that that end, and you're left with a 20 amp female end: ready and waiting!
(I need a drink of water... )
The adapter should be a "Male 20 amp; to a Female 30 amp"

At least that's how I think it goes...
Old 05-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #20

THOR #11130
The pigtail he references is the correct part. His 20A extension cord is correct also. Just make sure the extension cord is a 10/2 gauge and nothing higher. You will be fine. Personally...I would buy a 100', 10/2 extension cord...they told you 100' total. The RV is 30' and your 50' plan is only 80'. The venue knows the requirement. Nothing worse than being 1' short. I think you have it down now...enjoy.

Tags
#classa, #cord, #electrical, #newbie, #powerbox