Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #13966
Real Dorian update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
..."thanks for the obvious about evacuating"...

Well...you seem to have your answer. Dorian was just upgraded to a Cat 4. With your knowledge and experience, protecting windows in an RV would be last on my list. By days end I would be pulling into the Welcome Center just across the Georgia state line. Moving inland isn't a good "evacuation" option. We're just south of Atlanta and offer any assistance we can for you and any others that are smart enough to get out of Florida while you can. Good luck and hopefully...safe travels. Peace!!

Dorian is PREDICTED to be a Cat4. Currently it is at a Category 1. I won't move mine until I see a Cat 3 with a prediction of 4 then hightail it to the panhandle.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait331 View Post
Dorian is PREDICTED to be a Cat4. Currently it is at a Category 1. I won't move mine until I see a Cat 3 with a prediction of 4 then hightail it to the panhandle.
That's all well and good: until traffic jams prevent you from getting anywhere...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I would never criticize anyone either way. There's still homeless people in PCB and Mexico Beach from Michael. There's people that died as a result of not evacuating. There's people that laugh at others for leaving areas not affected too badly. I rode out Opal in PCB many years ago. That was my lesson in life with hurricanes. The Euro Model is the one to watch...it's mostly spot on...it predicts landfall in Miami as a Cat 4. There are millions of people in South Florida and barely more than one way out. I like to claim myself as a leader...not a follower. I would not want to be the one among thousands of cars out of gas with babies screaming and diapers full...nothing to drink or eat, no money and every business closed/out of everything...all staring at me and my motorhome with my generator running, A/C's blowing cold and a fridge full of cold beer as we all sit still in the blistering sun following a hurricane with traffic back up for hundreds of miles. Nope, I'd be out of there tonight. I may be wrong...but not by my standards.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
For those hitting the road, highly recommend getting enough jerry cans for fuel to at least get you back home and to power any generators in case gas stations lose power and can't pump fuel.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #25

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Grits, there is also risk in evacuating. Not that long ago Texas lost lives when much of Houston was evacuating towards Dallas. Granted, much could have been avoided by starting early. We all agree that’s the key — if you’re going to leave don’t hesitate, just hit the road as soon as possible.

If it wasn’t for my parents not being able to travel I’d be half way to the Smoky Mountains by now. A change of scenery would be great anyway.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:14 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittstop View Post
thanks for the obvious about evacuating - but looking for some ideas in covering the glass once we get there?? (Mid-state somewhere will still be Cat 1-2).
we've evacuated this barrier island since 1979 Hurricane David.

Just don't know how to deal with these "frameless" windows.

wish us luck..

Debbie
Debbie,
I live in Viera, about 4 miles inland from you. We bring ours home and park in the driveway, it's on the west side of the house. The house gives it about as good of protection as we could ask for without storing it at an in-door storage facility. Wherever you evacuate to, if it's still in FL, try to park on the west side of something, preferably not a tree. Good luck.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Let's hope that everybody stays safe, and that nobody gets hurt...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #28

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
Debbie,
I live in Viera, about 4 miles inland from you. We bring ours home and park in the driveway, it's on the west side of the house. The house gives it about as good of protection as we could ask for without storing it at an in-door storage facility. Wherever you evacuate to, if it's still in FL, try to park on the west side of something, preferably not a tree. Good luck.

All dependent on the actual path. When Michael hit the Gulf Coast people in PCB prepared for it...winds from the south...as usual. Because it went a bit east of PCB, all the winds came from the north (counter-clockwise rotation) as it moved ashore and the city was hit much worse than the beach. In general, there was more damage to the north side of properties than the expected south. Debris from Mexico Beach was found in the city of Panama City. The path can change the direction of the wind so the west side of a building could be the worse hit if it passes north of you. either way...be safe if you're sheltering in. There's really no safe place in a Cat 4 other than 200+ miles away from it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:01 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
All dependent on the actual path. When Michael hit the Gulf Coast people in PCB prepared for it...winds from the south...as usual. Because it went a bit east of PCB, all the winds came from the north (counter-clockwise rotation) as it moved ashore and the city was hit much worse than the beach. In general, there was more damage to the north side of properties than the expected south. Debris from Mexico Beach was found in the city of Panama City. The path can change the direction of the wind so the west side of a building could be the worse hit if it passes north of you. either way...be safe if you're sheltering in. There's really no safe place in a Cat 4 other than 200+ miles away from it.
That's true, especially in the panhandle. I lived there for several years. In the peninsula, winds from the east are strong, on the other side, not so bad. Florida is a 2 direction state. Even the later, weaker winds can cause damage when the ground gets saturated...roots loosen, wind changes direction, tree falls.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:04 AM   #30

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
If you live in Florida....
RV makes a great escape vehicle. We have a box with financial/medical records, photos, titles and computer files. The plan is to leave early and set up far enough away to be clear of the problem. 50 or 100 miles is not going to provide much benefit.
For Ivan, we left Pensacola and ended up in Monroe, La. (330 miles). After the storm was through Pensacola it was 10 days before we could get back into our neighborhood. When a hurricane or any problem threatens it is a good time to visit relatives...
Leaving early is key, the day prior all roads will be a parking lot, and any RV parks along your route will already be full.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:22 AM   #31

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I would think the best way would simply be to drive the RV somewhere where the hurricane isn't.
I agree. This is why RVs have wheels. If you not going to move it, make sure that the RVs insurance is paid and current.