Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Florida
Posts: 10
THOR #13371
Protecting RV in hurrican

We are in Flaís east coast and expecting direct hit from a Cat 3 hurricane. Our 2016 Thor Challenger is kept at our house. Does anyone have any idea how to protect my windows. The windows are the frameless kind. We shutter our home but donít know how to protect our RV. Keep us in your prayers
__________________

__________________
Pittstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,082
THOR #1150
I would think the best way would simply be to drive the RV somewhere where the hurricane isn't.
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Florida
Posts: 322
THOR #12751
Protecting RV in hurrican

I split time between Pittsburgh and Cape Coral on the Gulf Coast. Weíre in Cape Coral now but our MH is back in Pittsburgh. I started thinking yesterday about either being on trip when a hurricane hit or having it sitting down here when a tropical storm or hurricane hit.

I agree with the previous post. I decided the best course of action would be to drive it out of the area to a place where rain and wind would be minimized.

The biggest concern will be flying debris that can shatter windows (which arenít hurricane proof like in our homes). I had the window shatter on our entry door a few months ago driving to a camp when a rock or other debris hit it. The glass is tempered but it shattered and I had to put duct tape over it to hold it together until I could get a replacement from Thor.

Blowing debris could also crack the vent covers easily and then there would be a real mess from all of the rain pouring in.

Then factoring in the wind driven rains.... I have to think water would find its way in even if you have never had a leak otherwise.

Your house is likely better equipped to handle a Cat 3 storm than your motorhome. I would secure the house and then pack up and start driving it towards Atlanta as soon as you can. The gas lines have already started so the sooner you fill up and get out of Florida the better.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 10,675
THOR #8860
I agree. The best way to win a fight is to not be in it...
Good luck!
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
K0LCB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
Posts: 506
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittstop View Post
We are in Flaís east coast and expecting direct hit from a Cat 3 hurricane. Our 2016 Thor Challenger is kept at our house. Does anyone have any idea how to protect my windows. The windows are the frameless kind. We shutter our home but donít know how to protect our RV. Keep us in your prayers
If you have ever experienced a Cat 3 hurricane, you know there is nothing you can do to prevent damage to your motor home other than getting it out of harms way.
__________________
Freedom Elite 24FE, Big Foot hydraulic levelers. Wife is Marilyn, I am called LC
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,570
THOR #11130
Start packing things now like food, essentials and clothing. Fill up water tank, LP and gas/diesel. Depending on your fuel range, take a few extra jugs of fuel with you on a rear carrier or in your toad (if applicable). Be prepared to hit the road inland before the masses (which, IMO is NOW). If your plans are to shelter in place and roll the dice, make sure your insurance is current. There's nothing you can do to protect it from what you don't know will happen. One of the greatest benefits of owning a motorhome and living in the path of hurricanes is the ability to get out of town...First Class! Shelves are emptying right now of the basics like fuel, water, plywood, food stocks, etc. I'd rather be laughed at (by idiots) for preparing and not needing to than the other guy that did nothing.


If you do leave, keep your gas tank as full as possible along the way. This may be your only source of power (generator) for a few days. And, don't brag about how well you are equipped...those that don't prepare get crazy and desperate when reality slaps the s**t out of them..
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Florida
Posts: 10
THOR #13371
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I would think the best way would simply be to drive the RV somewhere where the hurricane isn't.
Unfortunately we're in the state of Florida and the cone is so large - it spreads from Miami to Jax. and will come across the state and exit to the Gulf. Really no place to hide.
__________________
Pittstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Florida
Posts: 10
THOR #13371
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Start packing things now like food, essentials and clothing. Fill up water tank, LP and gas/diesel. Depending on your fuel range, take a few extra jugs of fuel with you on a rear carrier or in your toad (if applicable). Be prepared to hit the road inland before the masses (which, IMO is NOW). If your plans are to shelter in place and roll the dice, make sure your insurance is current. There's nothing you can do to protect it from what you don't know will happen. One of the greatest benefits of owning a motorhome and living in the path of hurricanes is the ability to get out of town...First Class! Shelves are emptying right now of the basics like fuel, water, plywood, food stocks, etc. I'd rather be laughed at (by idiots) for preparing and not needing to than the other guy that did nothing.


If you do leave, keep your gas tank as full as possible along the way. This may be your only source of power (generator) for a few days. And, don't brag about how well you are equipped...those that don't prepare get crazy and desperate when reality slaps the s**t out of them..

We are more than ready and prepared. Unfortunately in Fla. once a hurricane is declared the campgrounds must close down. We live on a barrier island so will be leaving but most likely will end up in a parking lot somewhere - even in the center of the state it is expected to be a Cat 1-2. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to protect the glass - using Pylox or Shutters or such to protect the windows wherever we end up?
__________________
Pittstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Florida
Posts: 10
THOR #13371
thanks for the obvious about evacuating - but looking for some ideas in covering the glass once we get there?? (Mid-state somewhere will still be Cat 1-2).
we've evacuated this barrier island since 1979 Hurricane David.

Just don't know how to deal with these "frameless" windows.

wish us luck..

Debbie
__________________
Pittstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,570
THOR #11130
If you knew what was going to blow your way...this would be an easy answer. I would just drive as far as you can north and westward. Many mega facilities open their properties to campers during these events...Atlanta Motor Speedway is one of them. They have many campgrounds and some have hookups...first come, first served. If you're not looking in your mirrors now...good luck.


Buy some heavy plastic and lots of clear tape and Gorilla Tape. Tape the glass in spider web style for JIC and to keep glass from flying. If it does get blown out, tape the hole with plastic. You can also run the tape around the outside edges of the glass to keep the wind from getting underneath the edges and pulling them off. I would also run tape across the A/C covers, vent covers and any other device that could get blown off cause water damage.


But...as you seem so well aware of...just drive out of it. Florida is too narrow for mid-state to be safe.
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,760
THOR #4735
it's hard to simply 'cover' the frameless windows because of the way they are built, and mounted... and it's doubtful that anything you could actually 'mount' on them would be that much protection anyway... they are double-pained and therefore aren't necessarily going to 'shatter' anyway. The windows are easy to replace, but the fiberglass walls are not, and without being able to effectively cover or protect them, you're probably wasting effort for just the windows.

There's no 'good' answer for your concern, other than to do the smartest thing anyone could advise: drive the rig north, into central Georgia. At least then, as the storm moves, you'll have time and other directions to drive it to - parking in Central Florida gives you only one.
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada.... was WC Georgia, then W NorthCarolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ron1Z's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Florida
Posts: 331
THOR #8069
We just leave ours parked in the RV lot and close all the vents and windows and hope for the best. THere are thousands of RV's that will sit in parked in Florida on dealers lots and owners driveways. This is why you have insurance.
__________________
Good Sam Member 836274654
FMCA F491320
Ron1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 2,768
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittstop View Post
We are more than ready and prepared. Unfortunately in Fla. once a hurricane is declared the campgrounds must close down. We live on a barrier island so will be leaving but most likely will end up in a parking lot somewhere - even in the center of the state it is expected to be a Cat 1-2. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to protect the glass - using Pylox or Shutters or such to protect the windows wherever we end up?
Which barrier island?
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,570
THOR #11130
..."thanks for the obvious about evacuating"...

Well...you seem to have your answer. Dorian was just upgraded to a Cat 4. With your knowledge and experience, protecting windows in an RV would be last on my list. By days end I would be pulling into the Welcome Center just across the Georgia state line. Moving inland isn't a good "evacuation" option. We're just south of Atlanta and offer any assistance we can for you and any others that are smart enough to get out of Florida while you can. Good luck and hopefully...safe travels. Peace!!
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,894
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I would think the best way would simply be to drive the RV somewhere where the hurricane isn't.

Years ago we were visiting family in south Florida when a hurricane headed towards us. We were in small and light travel trailer, so left to go home in Texas. What I recall most and clearest is that the Florida Turnpike headed north was almost a parking lot, and while Plazas had fuel, lines were incredibly long. Lesson I learned is that if youíre going to evacuate, do it really early.

Iím now in same place and could head north earlier, but my parents are too old and canít travel, so we are going to have to stay put. Iíll pull my van as close to the house as possible, but itís old and has no real value to be concerned about.

We are in middle of cone, and landfall prediction was just upgraded to Cat 4. At least itís not too big yet.

Everyone in possible path be careful out there, whether you stay or evacuate.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,570
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Years ago we were visiting family in south Florida when a hurricane headed towards us. We were in small and light travel trailer, so left to go home in Texas. What I recall most and clearest is that the Florida Turnpike headed north was almost a parking lot, and while Plazas had fuel, lines were incredibly long. Lesson I learned is that if youíre going to evacuate, do it really early.

Iím now in same place and could head north earlier, but my parents are too old and canít travel, so we are going to have to stay put. Iíll pull my van as close to the house as possible, but itís old and has no real value to be concerned about.

We are in middle of cone, and landfall prediction was just upgraded to Cat 4. At least itís not too big yet.

Everyone in possible path be careful out there, whether you stay or evacuate.

Add to this, the number of vacationers already there for Labor Day Weekend that will be leaving...campground evacuations (thousands)...it will be a nightmare. Personally, if you're not pulling out in the next 12 hours, plan on getting stuck in it.
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 10,675
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
...Personally, if you're not pulling out in the next 12 hours, plan on getting stuck in it.
I agree: Get thee elsewhere!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ron1Z's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Florida
Posts: 331
THOR #8069
Dorian is still a cat1 and expected to be a cat 4 upon landing and im sure that will change between now and Monday. But they still have no idea where it is going to hit? or where it will go from there?
__________________
Good Sam Member 836274654
FMCA F491320
Ron1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 10,675
THOR #8860
No matter where it lands: it's better to be someplace else...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,894
THOR #2121
Yeah, too early to panic. And if we wait for certainty, then itís too late to leave.

In addition to it still being a small storm, another bit of good news is they said southern-most computer models are for weaker storm, and stronger storm models more likely to the north. Thatís good news since state is more populated to south and also much more difficult to evacuate from South Florida.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2