Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The monitor I bought from Rearview Safety came with 4 pin plugs, no adapters were needed.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #42

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I've discovered that if I have the Axxera on anything other than the rear camera view, the sound cuts out when I have the turn signal on. If I have the Axxera on the camera view when I turn the turn signal on, the view switches to the side camera, but the sound stays on. I'm planning on replacing the Axxera in the near future with something that has a full DIN 2 size screen.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
We didn't like the radio being interrupted when using the turn signals so I just cut the orange trigger wire coming from the AVM70LH radio harness, now the radio doesn't cut off at all but viewing any of the cameras requires that the radio be switched to the rear camera view. This isn't a problem for me because I always keep the rear camera switched on anyways.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #44

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
We have a 2017 Thor PD31 Quantum, and experienced the same cutout. I discovered, quite by accident, that if I turn on the rear camera with the radio on, that whenever the turn signal is activated, the radio volume remains the same. With the rear camera off, the radio cuts out when the signal is on. Maybe that's unique to our unit, but try turning on the rear camera and leaving it on - when the signal is activated, the side camera comes on and the sound stays the same.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #45

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Reviving an old thread, here.

Just picked up my Vegas 24.1, same issue with turn signal mirrors. Hate (HATE) the fact that even if I am changing lanes, my sound will be muted for five or more seconds. I have 750,000 miles of driving experience; I can make up my own mind as to appropriate volume for safety.

I have checked the operation and they have changed the software so that even if you are in rear camera mode, when you switch a blinker on, it will still mute the radio, so that's no good. I plan on adding a 2nd monitor, as a few of you have done, but money is flying out right now just getting this show on the road, so that will have to wait just a little.

Below is a collage that I created of the back of the head unit and its wiring. Before I start yanking and snipping on my 48-hour-old baby, I wanted to make sure of what I was doing.

People have said if they snip the orange wire, the radio will NOT mute, but the cameras will not come on automatically unless you were already in the rear-camera mode. Am I understanding this correctly?

Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there, other than tape the snipped wire?

Thanks for any assistance.

tim

Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #46

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Unless you just really like the side view cameras, I don’t, you can easily disconnect them. Under the dash is a small silver box with camera inputs and trigger wires. Clip the trigger wires and no more side cameras. Do not disconnect the camera leads, the trigger inputs will still try to switch to the side cameras and your radio will still mute.
Exactly what I did after owning our '19 for a month. I always drive with the rear camera on. Every time I would use the turn signal the side camera would come on (and mute the radio). Once the side camera goes off the rear camera wouldn't come back on. I would have to manually turn the rear camera back on. Stupid setup plus I don't like the side cameras. Problem solved.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #47

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Go to Axxera web sight, they have a firmware update. You need to know your radio model #
I did the update a few monts ago. No more no or low volume when signal is on and after signal turns off it switches back to rear camera.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 PM   #48

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Go to Axxera web sight, they have a firmware update. You need to know your radio model #
I did the update a few monts ago. No more no or low volume when signal is on and after signal turns off it switches back to rear camera.
How do you know exactly which model of Axxera radio you have?

EDIT: Never mind. I just walked out to my MH and saw that it's right there on the front of it!
Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 PM   #49

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Or you could clip the trigger from the radio and put a manual (toggle) switch somewhere so you can turn the side cameras on when you want them. I don’t use mine for turning or changing lanes but I find them quite helpful when backing up, parking or in some gas station situations.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 AM   #50

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
So, on your MH, when you turn on your turn signal, you do NOT lose audio from your radio? I just went through the whole download process, got the file onto a flash drive, went to my MH, and found that I already HAVE the most recent version of the software.

This is what my Axxera unit does if I am viewing the rear camera and put one of the turn signals on:

1. The screen switches (quickly) to the side camera
2. The sound immediately mutes

These stay this way until the signal is cancelled. Upon cancellation:

1. The screen eventually turns to the radio screen
2. The sound begins playing shortly afterwards
3. The screen returns to the rearview camera mode

This is SO beyond useless. I'll probably just disconnect the side camera triggers and live without them until I can get a secondary monitor.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #51

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
So, on your MH, when you turn on your turn signal, you do NOT lose audio from your radio? I just went through the whole download process, got the file onto a flash drive, went to my MH, and found that I already HAVE the most recent version of the software.

This is what my Axxera unit does if I am viewing the rear camera and put one of the turn signals on:

1. The screen switches (quickly) to the side camera
2. The sound immediately mutes

These stay this way until the signal is cancelled. Upon cancellation:

1. The screen eventually turns to the radio screen
2. The sound begins playing shortly afterwards
3. The screen returns to the rearview camera mode

This is SO beyond useless. I'll probably just disconnect the side camera triggers and live without them until I can get a secondary monitor.
What model Axxera do you have?

There have been 2 firmware updates in the last year. The last update fixed the issue with the radio muting when you use the turn signals and it muted the radio when it went to the side cameras.

You may not have grabbed the right update or you have a different mode.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #52

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
What model Axxera do you have?

There have been 2 firmware updates in the last year. The last update fixed the issue with the radio muting when you use the turn signals and it muted the radio when it went to the side cameras.

You may not have grabbed the right update or you have a different mode.
I have the AVM82NAV and the version is 82.05.09A. This will be even more disappointing if they've fixed the issue for some of their head units but not the others.

Which one do you have in your MH?
Old 06-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #53

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I have the AVM82NAV and the version is 82.05.09A. This will be even more disappointing if they've fixed the issue for some of their head units but not the others.

Which one do you have in your MH?
I have the AVM70.

I would contact Axxera Support and ask them if they have the same fix available for yours or an ETA of when it will be available.

Surely of they fixed it on my unit, they have to be working on it for all the units that behave this way.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #54

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have the AVM70.

I would contact Axxera Support and ask them if they have the same fix available for yours or an ETA of when it will be available.

Surely of they fixed it on my unit, they have to be working on it for all the units that behave this way.
You would think so, anyway. I'll call on Monday.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #55

THOR #15054
Well, my first official modification is done. (Or, partially done, anyway.) The back of the Axxera radio is easily accessible, so I snipped the magic orange wire, which is supposedly the "trigger" for the cameras. Results were a little different than I expected but it's better than it was before.

Upon snipping the wire, the side cameras do not work at all, but the turn signals do NOT mute the radio, which was the desired outcome. The rear camera still works, but only manually, which is fine for me.

I then put a simple on-off rocker switch on the two pieces of snipped wire and that also worked perfectly: turn on turn signal, no camera, no mute; flip the switch, camera and mute; turn off the switch, back to no camera, no mute.

The only thing I have left to do is mount the switch. I'm holding off on that until I get my Bigfoot levelers on this week, as I'm not sure where they are going to locate the controls and I don't want to be in their way.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #56

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Georgia
THOR #14579
The silence reminds me my blinker is still on.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 AM   #57

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
Radio

That's because Thor puts in a cheap Axzzera radio that is only AM and FM. I changed mine to a JVC Kenwood and now I don't have any problem. Also I get AM,FM,Sirius XM.Pandora, DVD/CD player and other goodies.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:29 AM   #58

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag8015 View Post
That's because Thor puts in a cheap Axzzera radio that is only AM and FM. I changed mine to a JVC Kenwood and now I don't have any problem. Also I get AM,FM,Sirius XM.Pandora, DVD/CD player and other goodies.
Mine has the Sirius/XM in it but I won't even pretend that this system is quality. Coming from my Ford Sync 3 system, this feels like 1990-something.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #59

THOR #15054
Okay so this is weird. Today I got back in my RV and it acts exactly as it was supposed to act. The side cameras actually come on when I activate one of the turn signals, without the volume dimming. Yesterday that did not happen.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 AM   #60

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag8015 View Post
Tag, what model of JVD did you install? Does it support the side cameras? I'm wiling to upgrade because:

A) I don't like the turn signal / mute function
B) The sound out of the stock until sounds like a 1979 Radio Shack radio.