Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
Posts: 27
THOR #1236
Rain water entering Citation Sprinter

During heavy rains I find that water leaks into coach and soaks the bed just in front of the rear window on the passenger side of my NEW Citation. This has happened a number of times. A dealer re calked a section of the rear cap roof seal that did have some gaps in it and thought that would solve the problem. Well, it did not. I cannot find any roof gaps and the window seals all look sound. Has anyone else had this issue on a Citation Sprinter?

I continue to wonder why I purchased a new Thor?
__________________

__________________
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
Posts: 524
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
....I continue to wonder why I purchased a new Thor?
My Winnebago needed a new rear cap, it leaked very badly from the roof. So , it's not just a Thor thing,

As a new motorhome owner, it's your job to get every problem identified and repaired under warranty, (that's actually what you paid for).

When you sell it, ONLY you have the satisfaction of telling the next owner, (or dealer.... if traded in), that everything works fine!
__________________

__________________
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Nursx2's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
Posts: 560
THOR #1295
that is so true but soooooo SAD!
__________________
Darren
2015 Thor Hurricane 34 J
2013 Infiniti G37 6 speed Coupe Toad
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: freedom elite 23H
State: North Carolina
Posts: 19
THOR #266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
During heavy rains I find that water leaks into coach and soaks the bed just in front of the rear window on the passenger side of my NEW Citation. This has happened a number of times. A dealer re calked a section of the rear cap roof seal that did have some gaps in it and thought that would solve the problem. Well, it did not. I cannot find any roof gaps and the window seals all look sound. Has anyone else had this issue on a Citation Sprinter?

I continue to wonder why I purchased a new Thor?
I also have the citation sprinter and had leaks around the skylight. been to the dealer twice and the factory once. finally fixed it myself. found out that no chaulking was used to seal the unit to the fiberglass top. my point is, have the dealer check the air conditioner mounting for gasket leaks. it is not that far from the rear windows and this may be a leak that travels. best of luck finding the source.
__________________
henryn,smithfield NC
2015 thor citation sprinter st
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 1
THOR #2478
2016 Citation Sprinter leaks

I have a 2016 Citation Sprinter SR and have leak appearing in bathroom. Met an owner of an identical unit in SoCal this weekend. Same issue. He's been back to LaMesa RV for repair but is still having problems. Likely to be either the a/c unit gasket mentioned here, or the skylight in the bathroom.
__________________
DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,629
THOR #5196
If you use enough caulk you can seal anything! Lol Water leaks are hard to track since it travels so easily. You could try using a garden hose outside with a spotter inside to find the source. Use a hard spray directed at one point at a time, hopefully you will find the entry point and can go from there. Best of luck, and please follow Beacher's advice in reporting this as a warranty issue.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 599
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
, and please follow Beacher's advice in reporting this as a warranty issue.
I concur.
__________________
current coach
SOB (some other brand)
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
Posts: 4
THOR #6218
On our 2015*the dealer had to swap out all the seals between the slide and the cab*in the rear, re-seal/caulk the roof and*fix the cable rail under the passenger side of the*rear slide to get the leaking somewhat under control it still happens though not that hard anymore.

Mike
__________________
mkostersitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
Posts: 27
THOR #1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryn View Post
I also have the citation sprinter and had leaks around the skylight. been to the dealer twice and the factory once. finally fixed it myself. found out that no chaulking was used to seal the unit to the fiberglass top. my point is, have the dealer check the air conditioner mounting for gasket leaks. it is not that far from the rear windows and this may be a leak that travels. best of luck finding the source.
Henryn, well it has been a while since my post on this and your response. A belated thanks. My skylight has now started to leak and I am still vexed by my original leak despite numerous dealer and personal attempts to fix it. You said that you were able to fix your skylight. Mine appears to be well caulked around the edges where the skylight frame meets the fiberglass. Is this the area that was the problem with yours?
__________________
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24SS
State: Colorado
Posts: 8
THOR #6217
Free Ranger, did you get your skylight leak fixed? I have the same problem. tom
__________________
tomarn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
Posts: 27
THOR #1236
Tom, I'll make this brief since my last three attempts to respond were kicked back?? I think it is fixed. Here is what the RV tech and I found: little or no sealant tape on the underside of the exterior piece of the skylight where it flashes up against the exterior fiberglass. The skimpy amount of tape Thor used had ten large gaps in it and since the underside of the skylight edge is concave rather than flat, their attempt at sealant was far from adequate. We also found that the hole in the fiberglass food and the interior framing was so out of square that only a couple of the braces which actually hold the unit to the coach were even still attached. None had been screwed in place. The mechanic suggests that they had to keep the whole frame loose in order to force the skylight into the off square hole. We reframed the hole, uses good sealant tape on the inside edge of the unit and then resealed the exterior edge with lap sealant. So far, so good. The tech has over 20 years in the business no says he has never seen such shoddy workmanship. Even putting in my time with the tech, this ran me over $1800. Another credit to TMC.
__________________
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: freedom elite 23H
State: North Carolina
Posts: 19
THOR #266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
Tom, I'll make this brief since my last three attempts to respond were kicked back?? I think it is fixed. Here is what the RV tech and I found: little or no sealant tape on the underside of the exterior piece of the skylight where it flashes up against the exterior fiberglass. The skimpy amount of tape Thor used had ten large gaps in it and since the underside of the skylight edge is concave rather than flat, their attempt at sealant was far from adequate. We also found that the hole in the fiberglass food and the interior framing was so out of square that only a couple of the braces which actually hold the unit to the coach were even still attached. None had been screwed in place. The mechanic suggests that they had to keep the whole frame loose in order to force the skylight into the off square hole. We reframed the hole, uses good sealant tape on the inside edge of the unit and then resealed the exterior edge with lap sealant. So far, so good. The tech has over 20 years in the business no says he has never seen such shoddy workmanship. Even putting in my time with the tech, this ran me over $1800. Another credit to TMC.
Glad to hear you have had this leak fixed. Your tech was right about the workmanship. Safe travels and stay dry.
__________________

__________________
henryn,smithfield NC
2015 thor citation sprinter st
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×