Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
The Mini-Tank heater is installed and working!

I'm posting this message which is duplicated in the earlier thread under "Modifications and Updates" titled "Using mini - tank water heater WITH tankless heater", since both threads are discussing this issue:

I've finished installation of my mini-tank water heater, which feeds the outlet of my Girard tankless heater into the inlet of the mini-tank, whose outlet then goes to the hot water line to sinks and shower.

The biggest problem I had was finding a mini-tankless that was small enough to fit the space next to the Girard, under the left side bunk (space in a Mercedes Sprinter is very tight). My original plans for the Bosch 2.5 and others went out the window for that reason. I found only ONE, in the entire internet world, that would fit: a 1.6 gal. unit from China, for 80 bucks on Amazon, so I decided to take a chance. Here is the Amazon link for the heater:

https://www.amazon.com/BoTaiDaHong-1...0668861&sr=8-1

It is Chinese but shipped from a U.S. warehouse. I was looking for a more name brand item, or one with good feedback, but the exterior dimensions were the smallest of any unit I could find, and the only one that would fit the small install space on my coach. It appears to be working as I hoped. Install instructions are TERRIBLE, and if you follow them you'll have it wrong. Customer service is by email to China, but is actually ok and prompt. It took me a half dozen email exchanges to establish that the written instructions are crazy wrong, and to understand that the unit's labeled "inlet" versus "outlet" are not consistent depending on whether you are installing horizontally or vertically, but it's in and working. Because the on/off/temp knob will be difficult to access under the bed, I installed a lighted switch next to the bed, that controls a satellite AC outlet wired to the 20 amp breaker for the air conditioner (on my 30 amp service I can't use the AC and the heater at the same time anyway, but the heater fully heats the water in about 5 minutes, and it so far appears to stay warm for at least 5 or 6 hours, so joint use of the breaker seemed to make sense.) I'm uploading a couple of pictures of the install.

With the limited testing I've done so far, I can't vouch for the heater's long term performance or longevity, but it seems capable of doing what I hoped. In November I'm going on a 3 week trip to really test the system. I did not install a bypass; I want to see how long it stays hot while boondocking, and how well I can refill it with hot water by a blast from the Girard, without needing shore power. If I have to refill it with hot water from the Girard, I'll let the initial cold water run into the coffee carafe. Alternatively, I might find that running the generator for 5 minutes will allow the tank to be heated by AC current. By the end of November, I should have a better picture of how it will all work, and I'll update.

Meanwhile, if anyone else actually orders this unit through Amazon, message me, and I'll forward you the installation instructions from Beijing. It'll save you a lot of grief!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1009191219.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	20750   Click image for larger version

Name:	1009191220.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	20751  

Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1570718143
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	20752  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #43

State: Florida
THOR #13966
Keep the water heater, recycle the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Axis View Post
I have a 2018 25.2 Axis, love the coach, HATE the tankless water heater, I have read and done ALL of the suggestions I could find on here and other sites. Yes the heater works but I almost always dry camp and this heater wastes water big time.
My question is, has anyone swapped this tankless heater out for a normal tank heater? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer as to whether or not it is possible. If someone has done it or knows where I can find the info, please let me know.

Thank you
Get a protable total (25 gal) put you grey water in it, rig up a cheap electric water pump with one of those blue filters and pump it back into fresh water tank. Just don't drink it but it is crystal clear for washing yourselves over and over again. I have been able to stretch my fresh bathing water while boondocking by 3 times getting an extra 75 gallons of water usage.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #44

THOR #13966
Keep the heater, recycle the water.

Get a protable total (25 gal) put you grey water in it, rig up a cheap electric water pump with one of those blue filters and pump it back into fresh water tank. Just don't drink it but it is crystal clear for washing yourselves over and over again. I have been able to stretch my fresh bathing water while boondocking by 3 times getting an extra 75 gallons of water usage.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #45

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Replacing Tankless Water Heater

I am taking my Compass into my local RV dealer and he is going to look at whether it can be done. The two issues he mentioned on the phone was whether there is enough room for the tank water heater to fit and the outside cover may have to be custom cut and fit to look good and of course painted to match the rest of the coach. He is also looking into both LP and LP/110 heating units and using the existing Girard wiring for the switch.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait331 View Post
I wouldn't want to drink my bath water on a dare... I know where it's been, and what it's come into contact with!

But if it works for you:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #47

THOR #13224
Replacing Tankless Water Heater

Bob: I do not have any place to put a 25 gallon tank so that idea is out of the question.
Thanks and others with larger coaches would like it.
Coveman2
Compass 23 TB
Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #48

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wouldn't want to drink my bath water on a dare... I know where it's been, and what it's come into contact with!

But if it works for you:

Many, many moons ago...in the early stages of our relationship, my wife (girlfriend at the time) told me..."you can eat crackers in my bed anytime!". I replied with..."I'd make coffee with your bath water!". Luckily, neither has happened yet in 26 years...but...you never know!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:36 AM   #49

THOR #13224
I had the hot water heater changed from the Girard to a Suburban 6 gallon DSI Propane/Electric and the switch went without any real problems. The tech had to shorten one drawer by 4 inches but everything fits and at first heat up it took 15 minutes to get the water very hot but have not given it a complete test and will not do that until the spring. It was not cheap but it was what we were used to in our previous motorhome and will sell the Girard reducing the cost even more.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I had the hot water heater changed from the Girard to a Suburban 6 gallon DSI Propane/Electric and the switch went without any real problems. The tech had to shorten one drawer by 4 inches but everything fits and at first heat up it took 15 minutes to get the water very hot but have not given it a complete test and will not do that until the spring. It was not cheap but it was what we were used to in our previous motorhome and will sell the Girard reducing the cost even more.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Good to hear.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #51

THOR #13224
Replace tankless water heater

I pulled the trigger and had the Suburban 6 gallon WH installed replacing the Girard and it went very well with only a couple of modifications. Had to shorten the drawer under the pantry by 4 inches ( could have done 3 inches but the extra room helps the fit) and changing and modifying the thermostat wire.
The switch for the propane side of the heater is where the Girard thermostat was just a whole lot smaller. The outside looks the same and but the door is a lighter shade of beige so will have it painted in the spring or live with it for awhile
The tech that did it,did a great job and am very pleased with the change.
He fired it up on the propane side and in 15 minutes the water was very hot and only took 5 seconds for it to reach the shower. Did not try the electric side but he said he tested it and it took 25 minutes to get very hot on its own. It was not cheap but when travelling the small things make a big difference.
Will be putting the Girard up for sale and recoup some of the cost.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #52
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Quote:
I pulled the trigger and had the Suburban 6 gallon WH installed replacing the Girard and it went very well with only a couple of modifications. Had to shorten the drawer under the pantry by 4 inches ( could have done 3 inches but the extra room helps the fit) and changing and modifying the thermostat wire.
The switch for the propane side of the heater is where the Girard thermostat was just a whole lot smaller. The outside looks the same and but the door is a lighter shade of beige so will have it painted in the spring or live with it for awhile
The tech that did it,did a great job and am very pleased with the change.
He fired it up on the propane side and in 15 minutes the water was very hot and only took 5 seconds for it to reach the shower. Did not try the electric side but he said he tested it and it took 25 minutes to get very hot on its own. It was not cheap but when travelling the small things make a big difference.
Will be putting the Girard up for sale and recoup some of the cost.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Wow, sounds like what Coveman2 did....
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Many, many moons ago...in the early stages of our relationship, my wife (girlfriend at the time) told me..."you can eat crackers in my bed anytime!". I replied with..."I'd make coffee with your bath water!". Luckily, neither has happened yet in 26 years...but...you never know!
This is the best definition of a "Perfect Love"; that I have ever heard!
No doubt: she's a real "keeper"...

Old 11-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #54

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Call me an idiot, but a happy one at the moment. For the first time in four outings I took a shower on the water pump without the water changing temperature all the time. What changed...I turned the darn tankless heater on correctly! If the red power light is on, which it always is when house power is on, it will produce hot water in short cycles, but for constant hot water the green light must be on and will cycle off after 15-20 minutes. Of course you still can't keep shutting the water off/on, but it doesn't use much on the pump anyway with it's piddly flow.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #55

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Call me an idiot, but a happy one at the moment. For the first time in four outings I took a shower on the water pump without the water changing temperature all the time. What changed...I turned the darn tankless heater on correctly! If the red power light is on, which it always is when house power is on, it will produce hot water in short cycles, but for constant hot water the green light must be on and will cycle off after 15-20 minutes. Of course you still can't keep shutting the water off/on, but it doesn't use much on the pump anyway with it's piddly flow.

I had no clue about red vs green, now I'll have to try it.
We no have no problems and never touch the controls, but I'll sure check into the red/green(if you can't be handsome, be handy) thing.

I measured a red cup and a half of cold shower water this morning(which would be juuuusssst enough for a toilet flush), then constantly hot as long as I like.

I heartily applaud coveman for making the change. I am weary of people disgruntled about $70 radios and $40 microwaves when all they need to do is to do as coveman did:
Make yourself happy.

We'll add coveman to the 'gruntled' gang of madifiers®(those who modify things they're mad at)
Old 11-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Perhaps he got the steady water temperature he needed while on the coach's water pump because it provided the necessary supply and pressure of water.
City water hook-ups often can fall short...
Old 11-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #57

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps he got the steady water temperature he needed while on the coach's water pump because it provided the necessary supply and pressure of water.
City water hook-ups often can fall short...
Have never been on city water yet...only racetracks and Harvest Host's so far.

Possible that turning the temp down to 115 instead of 120 helped too, with less cold mixing and more water movement through the heater. Will test more on the next outing.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #58

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
No cold ever!
Hot where you want it, no cold.

THAT'S what the problem is.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Call me an idiot, but a happy one at the moment. For the first time in four outings I took a shower on the water pump without the water changing temperature all the time. What changed...I turned the darn tankless heater on correctly!
I'm sorry: I guess that I misunderstood what you were saying here...
Old 11-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #60
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
No cold ever!

Hot where you want it, no cold.

THAT'S what the problem is.

Works as long as all occupants like showers the same temp... lol...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote