Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Replaced house batteries - radio out of commission

I'm sorry... I'll bet this is common and has a simple fix, but I've never learned it.

I just replaced my house batteries. Turned the Storage/Use switch back on and everything seems fine, but the radio is putting out static - but not operational. I didn't turn it on... it just started with the static - but no buttons work. I know this needs some kind of reset - but what?

thanks in advance!

Old 09-25-2016, 04:06 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
what radio do you have? (brand/model)

guessing what your answer might be, does the volume control work? Will it play a CD?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

THOR #2667
thanks, gmc. I will get that info from the rig and get back to you. It is the Jensen that was standard in the 2015 Thor Axis 24.1.

I am hoping for a simple fix. I had the RV in the shop for a couple weeks this summer - windshield replacement ($5800!) and such. The morning I took it in the house batteries were completely dead - and when I started driving, the radio went into this mode... blank screen, only the volume knob working... static noise... I mentioned it and when we went through the long list of repairs at pickup, the guy said in passing "we got the radio working..." I didn't ask how - and now we hoped to be on the road tomorrow...

Since I wrote I have tried the reset button on the face of the radio - the little button you push with a pen tip - and it did not fix the problem.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Do you know which Jensen it is? If it is the 212 you can get it replaced with a newer model under warranty (I think you can even call Jensen and they will just send you the new radio with a harness that makes it really easy to swap out).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Sounds like you have the Jensen RV212T... Many have had issues with the 'blank screen' - leaving only the volume and CD playing functions working.

Here is the full thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...creen-775.html

I had some success with removing and completely unplugging the radio - and then replacing.. but that is just a workaround...

As Jamie posted while i was typing - if you are still under warranty - call Jensen and see if they will send you a replacement (hopefully the 215).
I finally got mine replaced under a service plan - but they got another 212...
(I was out of warranty when mine failed the first time.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

THOR #2667
Thanks, folks... it is indeed the dreaded Jensen JRV212T... and out of warranty.

I hooked up shore power yesterday and let it sit overnight. I called the repair shop that worked on the vehicle this summer and asked how they fixed the radio - which had just gone on the fritz the morning I took it in. They said they pulled the radio, checked all the connections, put it back in - and it was working and they couldn't replicate the problem.

We searched and actually found the little clips for removing the radio... went out an hour ago to pull it -

and the radio is working just fine. Somehow, after a long time under power, it decided to reset itself.

So I guess we're good until the next time the radio goes awry...

thanks all of you! Nothing more frustrating than an intermittent problem that won't stay broke and won't stay fixed!