Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 202
THOR #1287
Replacement for Axxera AV614BH on 2015 ACE?

My 2015 ACE 30.2, which I picked up right before Christmas, came with the Axxera AV614BH (~$260 online at Crutchfield) as the camera monitor/radio/CD player/Bluetooth in my dash AND IT IS UTTERLY USELESS AS A MULTIMEDIA PLAYER. For safety we like to monitor the traffic behind us when we drive, and maybe listen to a CD or sports radio--easy to do on my traded in 2007 Class C, NOT on my 2015 ACE. I understand there have been a lot of complaints about the Jensen's, but with the Axxera all audio is cut off in camera mode (and other modes as well), so it can be a camera monitor OR a radio/CD player, but not both at the same time.

I will either need to install a different monitor for the cameras, or a new radio/CD player. While I understand the Jensen's were iffy, substituting this unit was, IMHO, irresponsible. Safe driving means not choosing between monitoring the road behind you and listening to the game.

Does anyone have any experience with rewiring the cameras for a new monitor, or the speakers fora new radio/CD player so I can pick your brain and get some advice?

Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
ArrrV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
Member
 
aero77's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 30
THOR #1460
I had the JRV 215N installed, but I had the 212 Jensen which uses the voyager camera system. The Axxera might use different cameras. If it doesn't the 215 (yes Jensen) is much better. It has GPS built in as well, and I can monitor cameras with listening to radio or bluetooth streaming music.
__________________

__________________
aero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 202
THOR #1287
I will need to look into compatibility. Thanks for the info.
__________________
ArrrV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
Posts: 524
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero77 View Post
I had the JRV 215N installed, but I had the 212 Jensen which uses the voyager camera system. The Axxera might use different cameras. If it doesn't the 215 (yes Jensen) is much better. It has GPS built in as well, and I can monitor cameras with listening to radio or bluetooth streaming music.

Where did you get your Jensen JRV 215N? Price? Thanks.
__________________
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Illinois
Posts: 114
THOR #1488
I will keep an eye on this thread, I just picked up our 2015 A.C.E. 30.1 last Friday. Haven't had time to check out everything good yet but am courious about the radio also. I also would like to hear music and have the rear camera on while driving. Another question is while driving the MH the FM stations I normally listen to while in my 2004 F-150 seem to fade out in areas where my truck picks them up fine. Thanks for listening, hope I didn't drift the thread too far. Jim.
__________________
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
Posts: 180
THOR #1448
I, too will be watching this thread. I also want to have the rear camera on & listen to music while driving.
__________________
jazzfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Illinois
Posts: 114
THOR #1488
Just went out and started the MH, turned the radio on and tried the cameras. The radio kept playing when in reverse or side camera mode, this is using the FM only didn't try the CD player. So something is different between our two radio set-ups. Jim.
__________________
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
pkh
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
Posts: 10
THOR #1483
Is it maybe because of the microphone on the camera? I guess if you are in reverse it should turn radio off so you can hear rear mic, but if you manually select the camera it should allow radio to play.
__________________
pkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Nursx2's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
Posts: 567
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Just went out and started the MH, turned the radio on and tried the cameras. The radio kept playing when in reverse or side camera mode, this is using the FM only didn't try the CD player. So something is different between our two radio set-ups. Jim.
I think all radios stay on while in reverse - but what we all want is to be able to have radio on while camera is on while driving straight ahead down the road! This is where the frustration is.

Perhaps find the power wire from the reverse switch, remove it, and wire it the camera directly!? This is what I did with my old class C when I installed the online camera! Although then one will probably not be able to switch between the camera pic and the radio, as this is where the problem lies - internal in the radio. Just thinking out loud!
__________________
Darren
2015 Thor Hurricane 34 J
Custom paint 2019
2013 Infiniti G37 6 speed Coupe Toad
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bruce's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 299
THOR #1503
It would be nice to have the rear camera display on while listening to music.

I think you have the solution. Wire a bypass from the reverse trigger wire into the rear camera lead and add an on/off switch so we can choose either to have the rear view or the normal operation.

However, would there be an electrical problem if we have the camera on the screen and we then engage reverse sending an additional 12 volts to the camera?

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Perhaps find the power wire from the reverse switch, remove it, and wire it the camera directly!?
__________________
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bruce's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 299
THOR #1503
Looks like putting 12+ into the brown wire of the radio harness would turn on the rear view camera.

Bruce



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Wire a bypass from the reverse trigger wire into the rear camera lead and add an on/off switch so we can choose either to have the rear view or the normal operation.
__________________
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
Member
 
aero77's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 30
THOR #1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Where did you get your Jensen JRV 215N? Price? Thanks.
sorry, been out of loop a bit. List MSRP 699. I think its on Jensen now, but I saw it in a local RV dealership book for that price. If you need more info on the operation just me, I have pics as well for wiring installation.
__________________
aero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
Member
 
aero77's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 30
THOR #1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
I, too will be watching this thread. I also want to have the rear camera on & listen to music while driving.
With the 215N you can listen to music as long as you are not in reverse, then the rear mic is active.
__________________
aero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 202
THOR #1287
Software versus hardware

My Axxera will not play audio when any camera is on the screen, period. I called customer support at Axxera and they said it is programmed that way--a software issue. They had not designed the unit for RV's and were working on a technical fix to the audio/camera issue. While it makes sense that it is microphone related, Axxera did not use that as the excuse.

If your Axxera really lets you listen to AM/FM stations while in camera mode (rear camera displays on monitor) or even turn signal and reverse camera mode, please let me know, as it means mine is either defective (or yours is, but I won't go there) or they did find a fix.

I still do not know if Jensen 215 is compatible with the camera set-up in my ACE.

Thanks.
__________________
ArrrV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
Member
 
wanewton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
Posts: 40
THOR #1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
My Axxera will not play audio when any camera is on the screen, period. I called customer support at Axxera and they said it is programmed that way--a software issue. They had not designed the unit for RV's and were working on a technical fix to the audio/camera issue. While it makes sense that it is microphone related, Axxera did not use that as the excuse.

If your Axxera really lets you listen to AM/FM stations while in camera mode (rear camera displays on monitor) or even turn signal and reverse camera mode, please let me know, as it means mine is either defective (or yours is, but I won't go there) or they did find a fix.

I still do not know if Jensen 215 is compatible with the camera set-up in my ACE.

Thanks.
I would love to know if you hear any more from Axxera about the fix. I hate not being able to have music and the camera going. I've started looking at the pioneer AVH-X3700BHS. If accepts 2 cameras but I will need to research it more to make sure it will work.

Also, does your rear mic work when backing up. I have only had the chance to test it once but couldn't hear the DW's directions. Which may not have been a bad thing
__________________
wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 202
THOR #1287
Have not tested the mic when backing up. I will check the volume settings as I automatically turn mic volume down so I don't hear road noise. Don't know how good that mic is--I am short, the ACE is tall, and I am not standing close to the rear of the RV when my better half is backing up. He rarely needs help from me anyway, he is a much better "parker" than I am, but he is not as great with technology--like learning how to turn the mic's volume up and down so he can hear back-up guidance.
__________________
ArrrV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 824
THOR #1123
ArrrV...The Axxera radio in my Axis continues to maintain the audio when the rear camera and the l/R cameras are activated via the turn signals. However; mine does not have a microphone and I don't know if that would make a difference.
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
Posts: 180
THOR #1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
My Axxera will not play audio when any camera is on the screen, period. I called customer support at Axxera and they said it is programmed that way--a software issue. They had not designed the unit for RV's and were working on a technical fix to the audio/camera issue. While it makes sense that it is microphone related, Axxera did not use that as the excuse.

If your Axxera really lets you listen to AM/FM stations while in camera mode (rear camera displays on monitor) or even turn signal and reverse camera mode, please let me know, as it means mine is either defective (or yours is, but I won't go there) or they did find a fix.

I still do not know if Jensen 215 is compatible with the camera set-up in my ACE.

Thanks.
I have a Axxera AV614BH in the 2015 Vegas we just picked up.I tried the axxera while sitting in the driveway.

While playing the radio, I can use the turn signals and the display changes to the left or right view with music still playing. I can put it in reverse, the display changes to the rear camera view with the music still playing .

If I put in drive, change the display to camera, the music shuts off.

I would really like to have the rear camera display while driving down the road, which I cannot do.
__________________
jazzfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #19
Member
 
aero77's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 30
THOR #1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
I have a Axxera AV614BH in the 2015 Vegas we just picked up.I tried the axxera while sitting in the driveway.

While playing the radio, I can use the turn signals and the display changes to the left or right view with music still playing. I can put it in reverse, the display changes to the rear camera view with the music still playing .

If I put in drive, change the display to camera, the music shuts off.

I would really like to have the rear camera display while driving down the road, which I cannot do.
I think the Axxera system uses different cameras. If it used the voyager cameras then the Jensen 215N would be your best bet. It plays music for all 3 cameras while driving on the road. The only time it shuts down is when you are in reverse which activates the rear camera microphone. BTW it has a GPS too. Hope it works out for you. GL
Attached Images
 
__________________
aero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 22
THOR #2107
Axxera 614BH in ACE 30.2

Hi.

You can listen to the audio and have the camera on by holding the mode button for two seconds. It functions as a toggle between the two displays but the audio stays on.

Hope that helps.
__________________

__________________
tnrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×