Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
New member with new Hurricane 29M

Hi...

I just bought a 2016 Thor Hurricane 29M and decided I'd join this forum.

I wasn't sure if a Class-A would be something if I'd feel comfortable driving, so I'm hanging on to my cab-over camper which has a slide out and easy to maneuver until I see if this is the right fit. Nice thing about the cab-over camper is that I can pretty much go anywhere...that's the only thing that bothers me about the Class-A...but perhaps its just a matter of getting use to it.

I have taken the 29M out once and have to admit, it's pretty nice. I found some problems, but no show stoppers. Even though it's still under warranty, I wanted to fix most of the things myself...allows me to learn about where things are at.

Problems discovered -

1. The Carefree awning is really tilted down on one side. I had a hell of a time trying to retract it...and had to help it to get it started. I got a manual on how to adjust it...and I'll have to look into it.

2. I couldn't get the front engine hood open or closed...the struts were "stuck". Thor sent me new ones. I found out Tech Support recommended that I put them in with the metal (piston rod) down (when the hood is open. This was opposite of how they were installed. Perhaps the oil leaks out of them if the piston rod is always pointing down??

3. The inverter display didn't work. The display is removable from the inverter and plugs into it via a 6" phone cord connection. What they do it remove the display and put it in the "hallway" on the wall and run an phone line with a "union" and connect the two together. The connections were not fully seated. The connection is behind the wall (6")

4. The slide rails on the pull out drawer under the couch- all the bearings came out of one of the rails.

5. Found out that the side coax cable connector only accepts CABLE...will not pass satellite signal. So I disconnected it inside the RV which was connected to a splitter on the plate...than drilled another hole in the plate and put a a connector on that. Now I'm running directly from the side of the coach to the plate with the connector.

Somethings I'm not real thrilled about...

1. Drivers seat - I didn't get power seats, thinking I'd be the only one driving it...and once adjusted, I should be fine. Problem is...there is no up/down adjustment...it just swivels. I'd like to get one that was up/down or even power. Not sure how hard this would be to install, but I'm pretty handy.

2. I noticed that the shower wall as it wraps around one of the corners was not tucked in to follow the contour of the pan. I tried to push it in, but it won't budge. I could caulk it and call it a day, but was thinking maybe if I heat it up with a heat gun I could stretch it back into place....but then you know how that might go.

3. It has a 1000-watt inverter...that seems a little weak to me. I installed a 4000-watt in my cab-over to power the microwave.

I have OMNI yellow-top's in my cab-over that are new....I'm going to swap them for the ones in the Hurricane. I found the acid in open cells tends to rust a lot of metal near the batteries. The OMNI's have been really good.

In my cab-over I have a battery charger...similar to the one in the Hurricane. I ripped it out because it was noisey and doesn't put out much...and put in a 40-amp charger that can be set for lead-acid, glass, gel...I really like this charger as it quickly replenish the batteries and was very quiet. I may do the same in the Hurricane and put it somewhere other then under the bed so I don't hear it.

That's it for now...

Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Congrats on the Hurricane... Have a 2014 Hurricane here (32A) and several other Hurricane owners active on here as well.
Welcome to the forum.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #3

THOR #3923
Thanks!
Before I bought it, I did a lot of research and went to a few shows. This model to me hands down is the best thing out there in it's size. I like that the WHOLE side of it slides out...and the utilization of space.
Like I said, I have only had it out once and it wasn't as bad as I thought driving it.

I believe I read that they have an APP for motorhomes that gives details on "motorhome" friendly roads.

I'd also like to find information on where the best places to go in California, and neighbor states that are motorhome friendly.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Thanks!
Before I bought it, I did a lot of research and went to a few shows. This model to me hands down is the best thing out there in it's size. I like that the WHOLE side of it slides out...and the utilization of space.
Like I said, I have only had it out once and it wasn't as bad as I thought driving it.

I believe I read that they have an APP for motorhomes that gives details on "motorhome" friendly roads.

I'd also like to find information on where the best places to go in California, and neighbor states that are motorhome friendly.

Any suggestions?
Las Vegas has an RV Resort strictly for Class A motorhomes...
we stayed at Duck Creek as, at the time, we had a B+...
Bryce Canyon, Utah is beautiful and has a large rv campground.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #5

THOR #3923
I was actually referring to some books or info on where there are places to go. But thanks for the tip.

I'm also looking for information/idea on how people keep things in their cupboards from flying around...like dishes, glasses, and other items. I used Tupperware in my cab-over, but I would think there are better solutions.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:52 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
If you are looking for an app on where to stay, the Allstays Apple app is great. It has national, state, provincial, county and town campground as well as private campgrounds. It has all the campgrounds on a map so yo can search along a route with good info on each campground as well as their website and telephone number.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:00 AM   #7

THOR #3923
APP or Books would be fine.
Is there something out there that shows motorhome friendly routes?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
I'm also looking for information/idea on how people keep things in their cupboards from flying around...like dishes, glasses, and other items. I used Tupperware in my cab-over, but I would think there are better solutions.
  • More plastic - no loose glass...
  • anti-slip rubber matting on all shelves... http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-N...er+cabinet+mat
  • spring rods in fridge and select cabinets to keep things in place... http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44053-Wh...or+spring+rods (the ones I have are 2 bars with a solid plastic middle to provide more support - not seeing those...)
  • Pack without leaving much room to move in cabinets... things you will take out once parked. (if there is room - it will move...)
  • avoid michigan roads (from MI to FL - clearly the worst...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
avoid michigan roads
I second that!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Small throw pillows work good for taking up empty space and they are serve a purpose when at the campsite.

Rather than shelf liner I bought a roll of tool box liner from Lowes. It does not seem to slide as much as the standard shelf liner.

We use small bubble wrap on the shelves and drawers to minimize rattling. This is in addition to the tool box liner. We save those air packs that come in packages to use between items in cabinets. Clean dish and hand towels can also be used as filler in cabinets.

One thing I found over the years is that packing an RV is limited only by the creativity of the folks doing the packing. Sometimes ideas work and other times they don't.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
AllStays also has low bridges, if that's what you mean, as do some GPS made for RVs. If you are looking for scenic routing info, AAA will do that for u or there are lots of books out there like Readers Digest The Most Scenic Drives in Americs or several National a Geographic books.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

THOR #3923
Thanks everyone for all the good info!!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 AM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #3787
Another new 29M owner here. I just traded a 35' fifth wheel and bought the 29M. For the most part we have been real happy with it. We've had it out twice so far and just a couple minor things to be covered under warranty. The electric water heater is not working, gas works great. One of the cabinet doors under the sink appeared to be warped, we pointed this out during our PDI and a new door was ordered. The new arrived and fits the same way, looks like maybe the cabinet base is out of square. The item that really bothered me is the sliding door going into the bath, the whole mechanism rail, trim etc. is only supported by two screws and these did not bite. After two trips the whole thing started pulling away from the ceiling. I removed the door, drilled more holes and added several more screws, hopefully this will work.

I consider these minor and just part of getting the bugs worked out.

I have done the CHF to the front and will do the rear in the near future. I wanted to try the free fixes before I start spending money on suspension upgrades.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #14

THOR #3923
Hi...I really think this coach has a great floor plan. I think a lot of the bugs is because it's a fairly new model/floor plan. I have only had mine out once...still working on things.