Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
RV cable tv solutions

Being new to RV's and a self declared techie I thought I had the right idea for mobile tv viewing. As an Xfinity customer I have their streaming app installed on my phone which permits me to watch almost any channel I subscribe to on my cell phone.
So my initial thought was to add an unlimited data plan, install my firestick, and project the phone video by screen mirroring to the television. In theory this would be great. I have come to learn however that xfinity does not permit screen mirroring from its streaming app however. Now I am a little disappointed.
What do you guys do while travelling. I know I can watch dvd's etc but I tend to prefer to have the ability to watch live broadcasts while in motion. The antennae pulls in great signal but not while in motion.
Ideas?

Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimez78 View Post
Being new to RV's and a self declared techie I thought I had the right idea for mobile tv viewing. As an Xfinity customer I have their streaming app installed on my phone which permits me to watch almost any channel I subscribe to on my cell phone.
So my initial thought was to add an unlimited data plan, install my firestick, and project the phone video by screen mirroring to the television. In theory this would be great. I have come to learn however that xfinity does not permit screen mirroring from its streaming app however. Now I am a little disappointed.
What do you guys do while travelling. I know I can watch dvd's etc but I tend to prefer to have the ability to watch live broadcasts while in motion. The antennae pulls in great signal but not while in motion.
Ideas?
I don't watch TV while I am driving I watch the road and other drivers

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
I don't watch TV while I am driving I watch the road and other drivers
Good one!!!

On longer drives my wife has asked about being able to watch tv and inquired about streaming or in-motion satellite tv. When I told her what satellite would cost she quit asking. I haven't told her she could watch dvds because that would mean me stopping and getting it set up for her since she is technically challenged! Please don't tell on me!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #7833
You might be able to buy an HDMI cable for your phone and connect your phone to the tv that way.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimez78
I have come to learn however that xfinity does not permit screen mirroring from its streaming app however. Now I am a little disappointed.
Is there an xfinity app for the Apple TV, Roku, Playstation, XBox, or other TV based device? (I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt to search/ask). If there is you could just use your phone as a hotspot and stream away.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimez78 View Post
Ideas?
I'm with dcbenny, considering I'm hurling a 23,800 pound rig down the road, I pay attention to the road!!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #7833
You guys are so literal
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say since he wants to mirror to the television, and not to the radio, he wants passengers to be able to watch television while rolling while the driver's undivided attention is focused on the road ahead.

We normally do not have passengers watching television but one option is to download from Amazon Prime and mirror that to the television.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
This is exactly what I do at home in the garage for sports by the pool and Rv on the road. I am using Samsung TVs with built in Mirroring, Samsung Galaxy 7phone, Samsung Tablet, Dish, Sprint. Can View All dish channels in real time plus anything saved on home DVR.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #10

State: California
THOR #6557
We installed In-Motion antenna with Direct, so far has worked great for 30 plus days and about 6000 miles. Wife has her soaps. Antenna was expensive but Direct is only about $7.00 per month additional to normal.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
You might be able to buy an HDMI cable for your phone and connect your phone to the tv that way.
That is what we did. Streaming DirecTV now on ATT with no data being used...
Old 06-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #7852
Pretty sure you can mirror with a Google Chromecast. I do from Xfinity app on my phone at home on the deck. I think any unlimited data plan will throttle you
Old 06-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FWIW I checked on upgrading my data plan with Verizon last month.

Little known is their unlimited data is only the first 10 GB at 4G LTE and and then the remainder of the month will be at 3G service.

Instead of unlimited I went with the 22GB plan (serves my needs since I do not stream TV) which is all at 4G service.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #14

Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #7257
Does your TV support playing movies off USB memory stick? If so, you could purchase movies and watch that way. It'd be same as if you bought DVDS to play. Chromecast device on your TV would be another option but does require Internet connection (most likely tethering your phone as wifi hotspot)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-11-2017, 12:35 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
I have a 2017 Vegas 24.1 and the stock tv who is NOT DC so I would need to run the generator for my passengers to watch anything on the Tv's. Am I missing something here?
fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp View Post
I have a 2017 Vegas 24.1 and the stock tv who is NOT DC so I would need to run the generator for my passengers to watch anything on the Tv's. Am I missing something here?
Yes. The Vegas does not have an inverter so you must run the generator. Some coaches have inverters that runs the tv's off the batteries so you don't have to use the generator.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Yes. The Vegas does not have an inverter so you must run the generator. Some coaches have inverters that runs the tv's off the batteries so you don't have to use the generator.
Others have added a 12v TV to the mix to allow watching while traveling/boondocking without running the genny...
My bedroom TV is mounted to a cabinet door that lifts open... Open the cabinet and there is a 12v TV now on the back side of the door that swings down. A little smaller than the regular TV - but with that and a 12v blue ray player below it - no need to run the genny.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Others have also added a small inverter to run the TV w/o having to run the genny.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #19

Model: Vegas
State: Alaska
THOR #1728
Wink Mobile TV

In my Vegas I hook a converter to the the batteries under the stairs and hook a ps4 up in the cupboard and stream my At@t unlimited from my ipad to my ps4 which has all of the tv apps...mobile tv