Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
RV Cover ????

I bought an ADCO cover for my Axis. Just put it on and noticed it does flop in the wind a little. Will it scuff my paint? I really don't want to leave it unprotected during the winter. I live in Colorado.
Thanks a lot
Kevin

Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
I bought an ADCO cover for my Axis. Just put it on and noticed it does flop in the wind a little. Will it scuff my paint? I really don't want to leave it unprotected during the winter. I live in Colorado.
Thanks a lot
Kevin
I had planned to buy an RV long before ever buying a coach. When I bought brand new Winnebago the Owners Manual tell you NOT to use a RV Cover!!! I was shocked.

I have automotive finish and it is very glossy so; for now I will follow the manuals direction from Mfg.

What Winnebago says....
Avoid covering painted surface. When paint is covered water may appear between the cover and the motorhome due rapid temperature fluctuations. The water may vaporize and migrate into the paint possibly resulting in blisters and/or bubbles in the paint.
They say to do so at owners risk. I am just going to stay focused on trying to wax it twice a year leaving it outside.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our Axis has been covered every winter since its first full winter. The covers are a little floppy in places: Try to cinch it down as best you can.

I haven't noticed any wear from the cover (its far easier to spot the UV damage than any cover wear).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:37 AM   #4

THOR #15515
Thanks for the response. I have it cinched down as best I can. Like you said it's a little floppy. I am not too worried about it, just thought I would get some input. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Keep a close eye on it, and you should be okay.
For some extra protection: try tucking a soft blanket up underneath it!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #6

THOR #15515
Thanks Bob
Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Glad to help!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's ugly, but it works:
Fiberstrand reinforced packing tape wrapped around the cover will take almost all of the flop away. Three horizontal and three vertical should do just fine. You'll be left with a semicustom fit cover.
Or
Buy cheap strap ties and use those if you don't think the tape is a good idea.

The picture is how to wrap a car cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140107_163204.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	21758  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Okay... What have you got hidden under wraps?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:37 AM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Okay... What have you got hidden under wraps?

I'm guessing 58'-60' Corvette
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I'd never let a cover near mine, I used one on a travel trailer years back and it rubbed badly thru paint and gelcoat. I built a roof for it.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Just finished putting our new cover on our 24.1 and it is SNUG! LOL

I guess I found the one that fits a 24.1 perfectly (If you're interested its this one (Amazon)).

Don't see how anything can rub as there is no play.

Name:	2019-12-14 15.32.30.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	21830
Old 12-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

As we like to say:
"That sucker is tighter than a gnat's butt: that's been stretched over a bushel basket!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #14

Model: Vegas
THOR #17148
Which ADCO cover did you get? I just purchased the 34813, which was snug pulling it over the last corner. Definitely no movement, even in high wind. I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2, and number to number measures 26’6”-27’, so I probably should have gone up a size, but this was the one the ADCO recommended.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB87B852-AB93-44C2-8D21-47B08F631383.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	21839  
Old 12-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #15

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I have had a cover on my 25.4 AXIS for about 2 1/2 years and no problems with the cover damaging the finish, I use my rig in the fall, winter and spring, the cover goes on the first of May. With out the cover the sun here in Southern California will destroy the finish in just a few years, I bought a bunch of plastic grab eyes and some bungie cords to keep the cover tight,
Old 12-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just finished putting our new cover on our 24.1 and it is SNUG! LOL

I guess I found the one that fits a 24.1 perfectly (If you're interested its this one (Amazon)).

Don't see how anything can rub as there is no play.

Attachment 21830
How hard is it to access the inside of coach with cover on? How big is it to store? i.e. where will you put when you don't want it on?

Any reason you didn't go with the ADCO? Or is it ADCO? Getting confused as the link doesn't say ADCO but does say Amazon basics, but I see in few other post it is referred to ADCO?

I got to next summer to worry about the heat. It will bear down on on the top 6 feet on the driver side. My coach 30' long. That side is facing West but will be partially covered by tree for shade.

Right now my plan is to wax that side at least 4 times a year
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Which ADCO cover did you get? I just purchased the 34813, which was snug pulling it over the last corner. Definitely no movement, even in high wind. I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2, and number to number measures 26’6”-27’, so I probably should have gone up a size, but this was the one the ADCO recommended.
For our 24.1 I picked up the one that was 20' - 23' which explains its snugness.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #18

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
DKOLDMAN, I think bought my cover from Cover Mate through Amazon, they have two zippers that go from the top to the bottom on the right side so you can un zip and access the door, mine came with a bag to store it in, its a marine grade nylon and its suppose to last, I paid $650.00 for mine, draw back on the cover is the weight when you roll it up to store it, its a two man job to put it on and you do not want to even think about it if the wind is blowing, I have rigged up some ropes on the left side of the cover and I am able to throw them over the top of the rig and I can install the cover on my own and no need to climb on the roof, most cover dealers will list several different covers and the price and the warranty go hand in hand, I bought a cover made from Tyveck for an old Bronco I have and it was suppose to last 3 years, it was the cheapest price and it did not last a full year before it went to rot, old saying "You get what you pay for"
Old 12-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
DKOLDMAN, I think bought my cover from Cover Mate through Amazon, they have two zippers that go from the top to the bottom on the right side so you can un zip and access the door, mine came with a bag to store it in, its a marine grade nylon and its suppose to last, I paid $650.00 for mine, draw back on the cover is the weight when you roll it up to store it, its a two man job to put it on and you do not want to even think about it if the wind is blowing, I have rigged up some ropes on the left side of the cover and I am able to throw them over the top of the rig and I can install the cover on my own and no need to climb on the roof, most cover dealers will list several different covers and the price and the warranty go hand in hand, I bought a cover made from Tyveck for an old Bronco I have and it was suppose to last 3 years, it was the cheapest price and it did not last a full year before it went to rot, old saying "You get what you pay for"
I have $750 cover from Yamaha that was custom made for my 24 Limited. It is the best cover ever. It has ratchet tight adjustments on both sides, support not only wind but driving at 80 mph. It is 3 years old and no sign of wear or incredibly fading. It is black. But it is heavy. The equivalent for Class A 30 ft would have to be 5 times larger so I assume it is not practical. What I have I must be able to do alone. My mfg is saying that a cover is my own risk as to what it may do the surface.

My plan.

By next Summer, I want a UV tarp that can cover at least the Top 6 feet on the west side of my coach? I may have engineer something around a tarp like this...

https://www.tarpsnow.com/shade-cloth...caAhR6EALw_wcB

I am not worried about sun on North, East or South side of my coach. North & South side will not get direct sunlight, and the East side will only get few hours of morning sun which is not as intense.

I will also wax like crazy on section by sections as my own leisure.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #20

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
ADCO covers are junk, I bought 3 for my previous RV, none lasted in the Texas sun & heat longer than 18 months & they rubbed the finish in various places.

I complained to ADCO on the 3rd cover, they honored the warranty grudgingly & required multiple photos & charged shipping (which wasn't cheap!).

I bought a CAMCO top line for twice the price, it held up well. Tore in one place, on both sides where the 5th wheel overhang starts. I repaired it with flextape, put it up for sale.

Wife finally agreed to purchase a MH & build a cover. 14x60 was very expensive, but I was able to cover the boat, toad & more. Best thing ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv shed.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	21871