Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Sanitize Water Tank

2115 Hurricane 27K want to sanitize the fresh water tank. I was told by the dealer to use the gravity fill, which is located 7 feet high. Using a 8 foot and a siphon tube to fill 5 gallons of a bleach solution. There must be an easier way.
I've had 2 other RVs and used the house pump to suck the solution into the tank.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
2115 Hurricane 27K want to sanitize the fresh water tank. I was told by the dealer to use the gravity fill, which is located 7 feet high. Using a 8 foot and a siphon tube to fill 5 gallons of a bleach solution. There must be an easier way.
I've had 2 other RVs and used the house pump to suck the solution into the tank.
Just use your regular potable water hose...
fill with the desired amount of bleach before connecting it to the spigot, then turn on the water to push in the bleach.....
Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
An easy method might be to use the antifreeze injection port - if you have one.

On my coach, there is a tube designed to inject pink RV antifreeze into the water line. It is located between the tank and water pump and connected to the water line via "tee" fitting.

There is also a valve in the water line between the water tank and pump/antifreeze port that becomes part of this system.

If the valve is off, it allows the RV's water pump to suck antifreeze into the water lines via a jug with the stuff attached to the antifreeze port. But if the valve is on (and the pump off), since the antifreeze port is attached to the exit line of the water tank via Tee fitting, you should be able to gravity feed sanitizer into the tank.

The blue tube in the photo is the antifreeze injection point for my water system.

If yours is similar, you may be able to dump sanitizer into the tank directly from the antifreeze port with the valve on and water pump off.

My suggestion is to make an adapter to attach the end of the blue tube (it is a 1/2" NPT for my coach) to a bucket, and pour the bleach solution in the bucket, make sure the antifreeze valve is on, and leave the pump off. It should work.

You might also have to remove the fill tube cap from the outside of your coach so you get enough ventilation into the tank that the solution in the bucket will easily fill the tank.

Another idea I have is to make a "bucket" by purchasing a Camco 66501 boat winterization kit - which basically consists of a plastic jug (with vent in the top) a hose, and a valve. The end of the hose is a garden hose, but you can either cut the end off and install a fitting for the antifreeze injection tube, or perhaps finding a female garden hose to male 1/2" NPT adapter.

Then, simply put the solution into the plastic jug and attach to the antifreeze injection port. Make sure the water pump is off and the water line valve is in the normal position, and let gravity do the work.

I'm going to make one of those jug things for next season.

I like the idea of re-purposing the boat winterization kit, as it has all of that is necessary to do this without spilling stuff all over and making a mess.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Here is another illustration for what I mean (of course, your water system must be similar for this to work):

Since I "reverse engineered" my water system, there could be a mistake - but I am pretty sure this is correct.

As an aside, one thing that has been nagging me is there is no shut-off valve for the antifreeze injection port, other than the plug tightness in the top of the line.

However, if it is not completely tight, I can see where this could inject a bit of air in my water lines. So I think next year, a new project is to install a valve in the line of the injection port so this does not happen.

Using a single valve with a plug to keep air out of the line just seems to me to be another cost cutting example that RV manufacturers are famous for.

However, in this case, their cost-cutting might actually allow you to inject sanitizer into the water tank, as the aftermarket antifreeze kits I have seen (Camco) use a three way valve to either:

• block off the water tank and connect the antifreeze port to the pump
  • connect the pump to the port and block off the antifreeze port

I don't think these valves would allow you to connect the antifreeze port to the water tank.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If this all seems too complicated to you, you could perhaps fit a "Tee" fitting and valve into either the water tank fill or vent line inside the coach where it is easily accessible.

The smaller line to the right that is attached to the tank top is the vent tube for the water tank. You could cut that line, insert a Tee fitting and valve, then use it to inject sanitizer. Of course, you are using the vent line for this, so it is kind of reverse from normal operation, but the fill tube should then vent the tank.

Or simply temporarily remove the vent hose from the fitting going into the tank (it's just attached with a hose clamp), attach another hose to the tank fitting, and put in sanitizer from there (but I think you would quickly tire of that).

I suppose it all depends on how accessible your water tank is, your desire to modify things, etc.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Thanks for all the good ideas for sanitizing the potable water system. I'll try filling the hose with bleach and look for a more permanent plumbing solution later.

Thanks for all your help.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Model: chateau citation mer
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1855
use a drill driven water pump $9

We used s $9 drill drive water pump available at lowes, home depot etc. And two pieces of garden hose. The pump output hose connected to city water connection on you rv (with pressure regulator removed) and the hose on the input side of the pump in a clean pot or bucket containing the disinfectant solution. Turn on drill and pump solution into the fresh water tank... this worked beautiful... I used a battery operated drill... this method is described in our thor manual....

This is my first rv without a gravity fill for fresh water!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:06 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FW,

The Anderson Kantleak system on my Challenger has one four position valve with a setting for winterize/sanitize. With the valve lever in that position I use a portable hose connected to the water inlet to suck antifreeze or sanitizing solution into the fresh water tank. After the solution is in the tank the valve level is placed in the normal position for the pump to push the solution to the fixtures in the coach. Another position of the valve is used to fill the fresh water tank from a connected city water source. The other 2 positions are normal to pump water from the tank to fixtures when boon docking and city fixtures which diverts water from the city water source to the fixtures.

I do wish however there was a second water pump switch on the panel that also allowed for outside control of the pump.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
THOR #1032
Dave,
Have you winterized/sanitized this way. From everything I've seen and read, the when the Kantleak system is in the winterized postion the water or whatever will not go in to the tank but straight to the fixtures.
wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
How often do you sanitize the system and what do you guys use?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #11

THOR #1032
I actually haven't done mine yet. But most of the suggestions I've seen are once per season at least. More often if used a lot. My plan for now is just once per season when bringing out of storage. I will see how it goes since we are leaving on a 5 month trip.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Willis,

When I did my sanitizing I did not have the instructions for the Anderson system so I performed them using the procedures in the owners manual. I contacted Anderson Brass and received the attached instructions. So far, everything else works per the instructions.

When I get the time I will go out with a bucket of water and replicate the winterize/sanitize procedures per Anderson and see what happens. Would be nice to know before winterizing time.

Anderson 200RV INSTALL TEST INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #13

THOR #1032
Yeah, I had read that also. So you're right that it appears the stuff will go in the tank from the document. But if you look on their web site there is a photo showing how water flows in the various settings. There it appears like it won't go in the tank. Also, what I wonder is if when you get anti-freeze in the tank, will the pump pull it all out or will you have to add extra anti-freeze.

Also, as an aside, I haven't de-winterized my ice maker yet after seeing how long it took you and I can't find where a connection is to try and drain it before turning it on. Maybe once we get somewhere and I have time to do nothing but look everything over I will look more.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Willis,

The hose for the ice maker in mine connects under the lower drawer in the kitchen cabinet (next to the fridge). You can try disconnecting that and see if gravity will allow the line to drain or possibly get a large syringe to try and suck the antifreeze out of the line. There is no actual drain for the ice maker.

My suggestion would be to try draining the line and then let the ice maker run while rolling down the road. Just keep empting the ice bucket until the cubes are clear.

Within the next week I'll drain my water tank and run a test to see how the Kantleak really functions. Curious minds need to know. I am interested is seeing if one or two gallons is sufficient to go through all the fixtures or if this will be a five gallon operation. I honestly doubt a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the water tank will be sufficient for the pump to draw it out and send it to the faucets. Bottom line is at what percentage of tank capacity will the pump no longer draw water?

More to follow, I'm sure.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

THOR #1032
That is exactly what I was thinking about when it will stop drawing. You stated it much more eloquently though.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #16

THOR #1032
Something else I just thought of that I hope this does not pull in to the tank. That is how much water would have to be run through the tank to get all of the anti-freeze out when de-winterizing.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Finally found a use for the 3 year old (?) food coloring in the kitchen cabinet.

I'll let you know what happens.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 AM   #18

Model: vegas24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Finally found a use for the 3 year old (?) food coloring in the kitchen cabinet.

I'll let you know what happens.
Do you run the bleach solution thru the water heater when sanitizing ,wasn't sure .I know you don't run antifreeze thru it . Silly things I need to know.