Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Camping World is changing its name!

Camping World is changing its name to Gander RV. I just received a flyer in the mail for my local "Gander RV" in AR.

It had two coupons (one for $500 new RV -= no big deal, and the other for $15 off purchase of $75 or more = I can use that one).

I wonder if they will run CW any better? One can only hope.

Is the CW name so bad now they feel they have to change the name? Maybe.

I thought CW "purchased" Gander and Overton.... I find it strange they are changing the name to one of its subsidiary.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Was talked about them using both names like Ford & Lincoln so they can carry sister brands close by.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Yeah, that make sense. But the next closest CW (in AR) is about 150 miles away. But I think MO has one thats about 100 miles out.

I just hope they improve their service department.

The sales department is another story.... but if you do your research and your willing to walk away from a deal.... we have the upper hand. Just have to make sure to do the walk though before you pay a penney.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Agree. I'm going to sit on the sideline for 2-3 years with my Axis. Hoping that there will be significantly different changes too our advantage by then in new models.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #12827
I got the $15 off coupon in the mail yesterday. It lists CW, Gander Outdoors and Overton’s as places where the coupon can be used. Coupon is only valid until Sept 2nd.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That has been in the works for a while, back in Feb there was a discussion on it:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ded-16084.html

I think its the same people running it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here is a press release from last year

https://investor.campingworld.com/pr...s/default.aspx
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Good Sam Club will probably be changing to "Good Marcus".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Good Sam Club will probably be changing to "Good Marcus".
I thought that it was going to be: "Good GOD; Marcus: not again"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Yep, We have talked about this some in the past. I was just pointing out they are changing my local CW now.

My flyer says "Grand Opening Aug. 14th = 24th"

"Gander RV"
"Formerly Camping World"
Old 08-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
It doesn't matter what you call it as it is still run by the same people. To me, it's like the lipstick on a pig analogy.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
It doesn't matter what you call it as it is still run by the same people. To me, it's like the lipstick on a pig analogy.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1565798233
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pretty Pig.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	19614  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
someone said it best: it's like having Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury dealers in the same 'area'...though they are all built on the same line at the same place by the same company: Ford.... or you could compare to Chevrolet, GMC, and Cadillac...sometimes all under the same roof, sometimes totally separate dealerships.

Camping World is not going away - the name is too synonymous with 'Camping' and 'RVs' and would certainly be a ridiculous move to 'remove' the name.... now, GANDER is a different story, as that name means nothing to camping or RVing, at least not yet. Overton's is certainly a regional name, maybe to some, but again, means nothing the majority of the Camping and RVing public.

If one of the CW stores, in a certain local area, has several of the 'brands' of RVs, such as Thor and Fleetwood, but not Forest River, then one of the closer 'Gander' or 'Overtons' might have FR.... especially since most 'brands' try to keep a region or area within the scope of only ONE of their dealers, to minimize overlap, and internal competition.

One of our local dealers in N.E. Alabama is a great motorhome-based dealer, while the several other local dealers are more 'camper' dealers, not normally associated with the 'motorized' RVs.
This larger motorhome-based dealer, with a Tiffin and several of the other 'motorized' brands, like Coachmen and Thor, wanted to get the dealership franchise for NEWMAR.
Unfortunately, the dealership next door got it, and they hardly had any motorized RVs before that, but they were a more 'national' chain, and probably had Newmar thinking that it would be best served to allow them to 'compete' with this other, more local, motorized RV dealer, with the other brands.
It makes sense, in one respect, and almost makes less sense in the other.
If a large local dealer has made it a great business with motorized RVs, like the larger Motorhomes, it seems to me that a company like Newmar, maybe the 'highest end' of the motorhome market, would give much credence to that dealer's history and experience.
But, it could also be that Newmar already has franchise contracts with the other dealer since they are more 'national', and wants to preserve that relationship and drive more sales thru their channel.

There's not always a clear reason, to us, why dealerships and even manufacturers do 'what they do', but there is for them - it's always based on sales and profits, not on 'clear reasoning' by the public, though.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #12827
We’ve purchased two RV’s from River City Recreation World in Sherwood Arkansas.
When we bought our Class C last year, they had just been purchased by Marcus Lemonis but had not had the time to develop the CW culture.
I found it strange that River City was part of the CW family since there is an existing Camping World of Little Rock (actually located in North Little Rock) less than 10 miles from the River City location.
Today, a TV ad started playing announcing the Grand Opening of Gander RV of Sherwood, at the former River City Recreation location.
Why would Marcus have two RV sales and service location within 10 miles of each other, especially in a metropolitan area of about 700,000?
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We’ve purchased two RV’s from River City Recreation World in Sherwood Arkansas.
When we bought our Class C last year, they had just been purchased by Marcus Lemonis but had not had the time to develop the CW culture.
I found it strange that River City was part of the CW family since there is an existing Camping World of Little Rock (actually located in North Little Rock) less than 10 miles from the River City location.
Today, a TV ad started playing announcing the Grand Opening of Gander RV of Sherwood, at the former River City Recreation location.
Why would Marcus have two RV sales and service location within 10 miles of each other, especially in a metropolitan area of about 700,000?
Simple, they are buying up any RV dealer that is willing to sell so they can capture the market. For motorized RVs I now have one dealer within 100 miles that is not affiliated with CW. There were three other bought by CW and one of them has been shuttered.

Bottom line is it's a business and CW has to keep their share holders happy by making money.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #16

THOR #4735
and, they won't have the 'same thing' that the other existing dealer already does, as, you're right, THAT would not make much sense, but having another dealer in the area, selling OTHER brands and models, DOES.

Many times, the reason CW or other national or regional dealerships don't just BUILD A NEW DEALERSHIP, instead of buying an existing one, is because of FRANCHISE AGREEMENTS that already exists at the dealership that has been there for years - a 'new' dealer may not be able to secure the franchise for any significant brands if they just start out 'new'...as the other dealer already 'has' those makes and models, and the Manufacturers don't want to simply 'give out' new franchises so close to the existing one - it would not be a prudent business decision...

so, the outcome is really this: CW buys existing dealers because they both already have the business, the customers, the employees, and maybe MOST important - the BRANDS.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #17

THOR #4735
Manufacturers of RVs typically don't give out 'national' franchises, even for even the Largest of dealerships who may themselves have many locations in many, many states.

Franchises are typically VERY local, or even regional, just like your local Chic-fil-a or Arby's restaurants: the local dealership, or fast-food chain, has an 'area' that is theirs. No other 'dealer', with that same brand, is allowed in. Would you want a business that you built, and sold a certain RV brand for many years, to have the manufacturer allow a competitor to start-up across the street with the same Brand? NO.

That's also why Winnebago and Itasca, while essentially the exact same models with a different label on front, are sold at DIFFERENT dealers - so that Winnebago, the mother company, can actually have two dealers, in the 'same' area, but selling two 'different' models, though their similarities are the same, and they are built together down the same 'line' at the factory.

The local Winnebago dealer can't complain that this is the case...(well, they CAN complain, but since their contract is for 'Winnebago' models only, they legally have no standing), and the public can choose between two MAKES, with two different dealers, instead of two dealers carrying the same make.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Sam Walton's business plan was to have a Walmart every 10 miles...they've nearly done that and every vendor in the world is knocking on their door for shelf space. Soon, the small local "family RV dealer" will be history.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #19

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
They bought Gander quite awhile ago and this was expected by many.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #20

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
The Camping World in Kissimmee FL has shown "Gander Outdoors" on their cash register receipts since at least January.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote